CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How to change lan settings in a bottle?

I would like to play Diablo 2 on LAN, everything is fine, but it shows some obscure IP address. (127 something).
Would be great if my bottle would inherit my host machine iP address and allow connecting to it. Is it possible and how can this be done?
I have checked myriad of settings but lan settings were nowhere to be found.
Regards

They made a T-Shirt, just for you, right here!

I'm not really sure as to what is going on, but your machine is using the "home" or "localhost" address, usually used for loopback purposes. In other words, if you want to access resources on the local machine, 127.0.0.1 is what you would normally use.

Such things as networking, are set in files like hosts, or resolv.conf. In host, you will find that 127 address, but whatever you do, don't delete that!

I tried googling why a software running in Wine/Crossover would use localhost, but I couldn't figure it out. You should consider posting to games' specific forum, or a support ticket unless someone else comes along with the answer here.

Edit: pressed "enter" at the wrong time I guess.

J-P Simard wrote:

They made a T-Shirt, just for you, right
here!

I'm not really sure as to what is going on, but your machine is
using the "home" or "localhost" address, usually used for loopback
purposes. In other words, if you want to access resources on the
local machine, 127.0.0.1 is what you would normally use.

Such things as networking, are set in files like
hosts,
or resolv.conf. In host, you will find that 127 address, but
whatever you do, don't delete that!

I tried googling why a software running in Wine/Crossover would use
localhost, but I couldn't figure it out. You should consider posting
to
[link=http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=82;forum=1;msg=126017]games'
specific forum[/link], or a support ticket unless someone else comes
along with the answer here.

Edit: pressed "enter" at the wrong time I guess.

I know the 127.0.0.1 address, but it is not that, it is 127.12.34.56
I doubt that it is game-related iP, since it takes your current iP and shows there.
My system iP on mac is different, it is of my local network - 192.168.x.x

That's why I want help, since they are different and I can't connect to other hosts on my network. I figured there might be something that sets it this way in Wine or something.

Actually, the address means something to me.

While searching and trying to jog my memory, I remember, and have confirmed, that it is a question that the hostname of your computer is not configured properly, leading WINE/Crossover to fake an IP address (127.12.34.56) to whatever you're running. You will easily find a bunch of people complaining about that IP in google, all related to wine.

So the thing is, this is not really a Crossover problem, at least not directly. Try adding, to your hosts file, something like:

192.168.x.x localhost.localdomain yourmacsname loclahost

If you add your lan IP like so, I believe it should fix that for you. Here comes the disclaimer: I'm really a Linux geek, so you might want to check this applies to Mac, but I wouldn't see why it shouldn't.

On Windows the hostname of the local host (not "localhost", but the real name) resolves to the IP address of the interface that was started up last. On OSX and Linux, /etc/hosts sometimes contains a line that makes this name resolve to 127.0.0.1. This confuses some games that bind to that IP address to listen for incoming connection requests.

A workaround is to edit the line in /etc/hosts to return the external IP (e.g. 192.168.0.1) instead of 127.0.0.1.

If you have a somewhat sophisticated home network with an internal DNS server, you can also configure your DHCP server and client settings to set the hostname via DHCP and remove the hostname entry for your local hostname from /etc/hosts. In this case your computer will use the DNS server for resolving its own hostname's IP, which should then return the correct IP assigned by DHCP.

Ummm, what distro have you been using that only has the 127.0.0.1 line "sometimes"? No seriously, I'm not trolling, I want to know as I want to look up why they don't have it.

Anyway, I don't know about Macs, but on Linux distros, the 127.0.0.1 is useful and shouldn't be removed on a whim. In fact, a badly configured hosts file can slow down your web too, and I take that from the ArchLinux wiki. So, I'm not convinced it's trivial to remove the entry from hosts, but perhaps it is for Macs. Just for an example, I use a "hosts" file based on an example from the web which points trackers and obnoxious adds back to 127.0.0.1, which effevtively blocks those, period. Not the most glorious example, but it works, and 127.0.0.1 is useful for that.

That being said, either way, it is important to know that the change should be easily corrected if ever there is something that breaks.

My Gentoo installations don't have those lines. It is possible that I removed them, so no guarantees. Those installs are a few years old by now, updated again and again. I believe Gentoo's dhcp config defaults to retrieving the hostname from dhcp, so not having a /etc/hosts line for your hostname makes sense. If there's no DHCP server and the user doesn't intervene otherwise, the hostname is simply "localhost".

There is a 127.0.0.1 line for "localhost" however.

And yeah, I don't recommend to remove the line without knowing what you are doing. Setting the ip to your external ip is the better way, although this will cause trouble if you're not connected to your network, or have a different ip for some reason (e.g. connected to a different network).

EDIT: Fixed two stupid and confusing mistakes.

Thanks for your answer, but the Gentoo handbook says that hosts should at least contain one line, which is "127.0.0.1 localhost". Now, at least one line can mean it could be other lines, but they add "All other lines should be set under that line using the following syntax", which tells me that 127.0.0.1 is expected by default and should be the first line. Obviously your systems work, but I don't know how Macs (or other distros) would react if the line wasn't there.

I would need to talk to the few Mac users I know so they look at their system for me, as I would like to know if Apple consider this useful for them. The idea being, I wouldn't want to break something on someone else's system. Not that the "breaking" would be hard to repair.

Hi, this thread hasn't been posted on in a while but I stumbled across it as I am having the same problem. I am attempting to play Battle for middle earth 2 against pc's on LAN but I keep receiving the "connection timeout" error when I try to join a game. i checked the online IP in the game and it was 127.12.34.56 So then I attempted to do what was mentioned above. I accessed the /etc/hosts file on terminal [image=[URL=http://imgur.com/XQTaD7s][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XQTaD7s.png[/IMG][/URL]]

then I went in and changed 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.0.1 and saved it
then when I opened the game again the online IP was still the same and I could not play LAN just as before.

Could someone please provide me a detailed method of solving this if possible. Thank you.

(for the record, I do not use crossover, I made a wrapper for the game using wineskin, but please help)

sorry i posted the wrong image
http://imgur.com/S2l0lQs
this is a link to the correct one
thanks

Has there been any progress on this subject?

In my case, I am wanting to play Heroes Of Might And Magic III (HOMM 3). The multiplayer screen of the game reports that my client IP address is 127.12.34.56, which is clearly not correct.

How does Crossover communicate the client IP to software within a bottle and how can this IP be corrected?

Mac OS X 10.9.5
Crossover 13.2

Based on the prior discussion, I would suggest to edit your hosts file adding a line like

10.10.1.100 localhost.localdomain your_computer_name localhost

You might have something in the range of 192.168.0.x instead of the 10.10.1.x range, as it is a more standard address range. It will set your computer's local IP and prevent this problem. I have the above line in my hosts file and never came across the problem you have, but I did add it because of a similar problem not related to Wine/Crossover.

Editing the OS X /etc/hosts file has no effect.

No matter the changes, the game reports the local IP address as 127.12.34.56.

I have also tried adding a hosts file to the Crossover bottle at /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts but this also has no effect.

I'm surprised that this issue has been reported and outstanding for years in Crossover with no fix.

I discovered a clue that may help explain the behaviour. After installing LogMeIn Hamachi, even without Hamachi "on", the IP address reported by the game in Crossover changed to the 25.x.x.x Hamachi address.

Looking at the results from running ifconfig in an OS X terminal, it's clear that the Hamachi network entry, "ham0:", is the last in the list. Before Hamachi was installed, the last entry in my list was "vboxnet0:", most likely from my Virtual Box installation.

It appears that Crossover simply takes the last network interface in the list, regardless of correctness or suitability.

The vboxnet0: entry does not specify an inet address, which I suspect explains why the game in Crossover reported 127.12.34.56.

How can we change Crossover to specify what network interface it is to use?

I don't know of any way to do that, perhaps you should go for a support ticket and ask the staff.

Here is an interesting 2009 discussion and solution from the winehq.org forums. In this case, it comes from a person wanting to play Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3.

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=20324

I will suggest that Crossover implement this as a new feature.

1 to 15 of 15

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUXVZN2dmS25CTWdVM1h2ZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9