CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver fail in creating bottle

Hi. I just downloaded Crossover for mac trial version 13.2 (13.2.0.27771) to see wether this app really works or not. I am trying to install SimCity 4 Deluxe using crossover with the Retail disc version. However i am unable to install it properly and get the following error when trying to install it :

The ‘Creating the SC4DELUXE bottle’ task failed.

cxbottle:error: unable to create the 'SC4DELUXE' bottle in '/Volumes/My Passport/Movies/Rizqi/Games/Installed/CrossOver Data/Bottles/SC4DELUXE'

Continuing with the install may produce unpredictable results.

Then I choose cancel installation.

I have MacBook Air 11" mid-2013 running OSX 10.9.5. I ran the following command in terminal to change my installation directory

defaults write com.codeweavers.CrossOver BottleDir /Volumes/My Passport/Movies/Rizqi/Games/Installed/CrossOver Data/Bottles.

The installation directory is in 2TB WD My Passport external hard drive with Windows NT Filesystem Format and uses Paragon NTFS to be able to read and write the hard drive.

Here is the log file

What happens if you try to create a bottle on a native (to OS X) filesystem?

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

What happens if you try to create a bottle on a native (to OS X)
filesystem?

It works as intended. i am able to play the game normally if i installed it there but due to my internal SSD near full, i need to install it in my external hard drive.

You may want to resize the NTFS partition on that external drive and then create a HFS+ partition for your bottles.

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

You may want to resize the NTFS partition on that external drive and
then create a HFS+ partition for your bottles.

Do i need to format the drive first? if yes it is not possible because the hard drive contain 800 GB of data and i don't have any where to back up this data 😥
Also, I move the game from the original folder to the external hard drive, and when i tried to run the game, i get "There is no Windows program configured to open this type of file" with only one option "Ok". and then i get this

Command results
The command /Volumes/My Passport/Movies/Rizqi/Games/Installed/CrossOver Data/Bottles/SimCity 4/drive_c/Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4 Deluxe/Apps/SimCity 4.exe returned 1.

Command error text:
winewrapper.exe:error: cannot start L"/Volumes/My" (error 31)

Well, Linux and Windows users use GParted. I found this article about managing partitions with OS X:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Extend/Resize_Boot_Camp_Partition#Native_OS_utilities

It talks about resizing bootcamp partitions, I know... but some of the utilities listed there can be used. GParted (as mentioned previously) and iPartition. I did try to use a GParted Live CD on a Mac a while ago and I could not make it boot but YMMV.

Thanks! it works now. But i wonder what is wrong? Is the problem in the crossover or in my hard drive or something else?

It's probably the way the the NTFS driver is implemented on both OS X and Linux systems. I've seen some Linux users in the past trying to make CrossOver run a game they had on their NTFS partition. It usually does not work. If the filesystem does not support certain features that wine makes use of, then it won't work well or at all.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRVV1WUNaVkhkcmZFU2NGWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9