CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

[Resolved - CrossOver 14.0.1] Steam on 14.0 does not launch games

Well, I can verify that steam runs, but none of the games installed in it do. I have had to downgrade back to 13.2.0 for the time being. Beyond that, most of my issues with Steam in 13.2.0 went away, like the steamwebhelper.exe popping up constantly at launch.

The games in question, Torchlight II and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel act like they launch, but then immediately quit (within a second or two), going back to Steam with no errors. I also did a clean bottle install of steam and borderlands, same result.

Hopefully this can be handled in the next point release. I imagine there are loads of people using crossover for Steam.

Dan

We are seeing this problem sporadically and we're triaging it now. Anyone experiencing it can write in and ask to be added to bug number 12403.

In-house we found that completely shutting down Steam and re-launching would allow us to run applications, making the behavior very difficult to diagnose.

I think I may have found what's going on. Some games require a "one-time installation" of additional components. For those games, unlike running Steam in Windows, CrossOver would perform that one-time install every single time the game is launched.

For some weird reason, if you try to launch any game that requires a one-time installation, it won't work until you launch another game that doesn't require any. In my case, the game that requires a one-time install was Final Fantasy VII, and the game that "unlocked it" because it didn't need any one-time was Anodyne. What I do is start Steam, start Anodyne, close Anodyne, then start FF VII, which works at last. Hopefully you can find a free game on Steam that doesn't require any one-time install.

I'd like to note that this repeated "one-time install" was fixed in the latest versions of Wine.

Benoit Nadeau wrote:

I think I may have found what's going on. Some games require a
"one-time installation" of additional components. For those games,
unlike running Steam in Windows, CrossOver would perform that
one-time install every single time the game is launched.

For some weird reason, if you try to launch any game that requires a
one-time installation, it won't work until you launch another game
that doesn't require any. In my case, the game that requires a
one-time install was Final Fantasy VII, and the game that "unlocked
it" because it didn't need any one-time was Anodyne. What I do is
start Steam, start Anodyne, close Anodyne, then start FF VII, which
works at last. Hopefully you can find a free game on Steam that
doesn't require any one-time install.

I'd like to note that this repeated "one-time install" was fixed in
the latest versions of Wine.

We'll certainly be investigating this workaround in-house though we believe we have tracked down what is causing the Steam issue.

You've said something that is very interesting. What version of Wine did you notice the "one-time install" fixed with? CrossOver 14 is running 1.7.25 so it's fairly new (it's actually about six weeks old). How are you running Wine? I ask because there's no mention of Mac or Linux in your post and no mention of PlayOnMac or WineSkin or various other spins.

We have a build which may fix this issue available for download here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/xfer/duboisj/12403/crossover-nopielauncher.zip

(unlock the download with the password 'steam')

In order to try using Steam with this build, you will need to first be sure you have quit Steam. Next, use CrossOver's 'Configure' menu and select 'Clear and rebuild programs...' After you do this, you should re-launch Steam. After this, pressing 'Play' from the Steam UI should succeed in starting a game.

If it becomes confusing whether you are running the above test build or our shipping version of CrossOver (they will mostly look the same), you should be able to distinguish them by using the 'About CrossOver' menu. The test build will have the string 'local' at the end of the version information.

If anyone can confirm that Steam still fails to launch when using this test build (or if anyone sees other problems in the test build which do not appear in our shipping version of CrossOver), please let us know either on a support ticket or by posting back on this forum thread.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. If this proves to be a good fix, we will get it into an official release asap.

Best,

Josh

Edit: Updated url with new build

Josh DuBois wrote:

We have a build which may fix this issue available for download
here:

(unlock the download with the password 'steam')

In order to try using Steam with this build, you will need to first
be sure you have quit Steam. Next, use CrossOver's 'Configure' menu
and select 'Clear and rebuild programs...' After you do this, you
should re-launch Steam. After this, pressing 'Play' from the Steam
UI should succeed in starting a game.

If it becomes confusing whether you are running the above test build
or our shipping version of CrossOver (they will mostly look the
same), you should be able to distinguish them by using the 'About
CrossOver' menu. The test build will have the string 'local' at the
end of the version information.

If anyone can confirm that Steam still fails to launch when using
this test build (or if anyone sees other problems in the test build
which do not appear in our shipping version of CrossOver), please
let us know either on a support ticket or by posting back on this
forum thread.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. If this proves to be a good fix,
we will get it into an official release asap.

Best,

Josh

Josh,

Downloading it now, will get back to you once I've cleared and rebuilt programs…

Dan

Not sure that I did everything right. Here is what happened:

Quit current copy of Crossover (13.2.0)
Launched new copy of Crossover (14.0 local)
Upgraded all the bottles for new version of Crossover
Went to Configure menu and selected Clear and Rebuild Programs
Clicked Rebuild (nothing appeared to happen, or at least it was really quick, is that normal?)
Opened Steam
Launched Borderlands The Pre-Sequel
Saw the "launching for the first time" dialog for about a second or two, then it disappeared
I saw that borderlands on the game list had a brief sync next to it (normal for steam)
After that, nothing launched. No wine loader or anything in the dock running besides crossover and steam.
I tried a clear and rebuild a second time, then quit crossover afterwards and relaunched, that didn't do any better.

I tried quitting steam and crossover and relaunching, just in case. Same result. I also tried to find a program that doesn't do the "first time launch" bit but haven't found one yet. The other two I've tried (broforce and stone hearth) both exhibit similar behavior as borderlands.

Dan

Local version changes nothing.
I'm trying to start Quake Live, all i see is a small gray screen that says 'Quake live is being started',
On the left panel it says 'syncing',
then the gray screen dissapears and nothing.

thanks for the support tho :)

I'm too trying to start Quake Live and have same problem and not only this. Also I see after Mavericks + 13.2 that Yosemite + 13.2 or Yosemite + 14 lack of FPS (60 instead 200-250) in cases if run some programs on Mac and even if I close all these and FPS 200-250 Quake Live works really slow. There are clearly a problems with speed.

In new Yosemite Apple has done something with hardware virtualization and I think this problem connected with too graphics on MacBook Pro (it's my system), there are Intel Iris Pro and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M and I don't know what from these videos new Crossover uses on Yosemite.

I just upgraded to both Yosemite and 14.0 last night and opened Steam fine. So this morning I tried to play Medieval 2 through Steam and the game quits after seeing an unexpected error, but runs Steam fine. I tried with the local build and reconfiguring the launchers, but still find myself in the same place. I'll add my bit to that ticket that's in.

All: I have updated the previous link to a link with a new build. The updated link is:

Can anyone verify that this works (it will still require you to clear and rebuild your programs menu).

If you install and run with this build, then clear and rebuild your programs menu, does this version not result in a working Steam for anyone?

Josh DuBois wrote:

All: I have updated the previous link to a link with a new build.
The updated link is:

Can anyone verify that this works (it will still require you to
clear and rebuild your programs menu).

If you install and run with this build, then clear and rebuild your
programs menu, does this version not result in a working
Steam for anyone?

I downloaded this version, cleared/rebuilt the programs menu, and launched Steam. Steam appeared to run just fine. However, launching a game through Steam (Forsaken World, in my case) resulted in a crash of the game few seconds after the game's launcher loaded. In other words, the behavior seems to be the same as with the release build of 14.0 and the 14.0 build that was released on Friday afternoon.

Here's the first part of the crash data , as I didn't want to post the entire file:

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x4d8a502d).
Register dump:
 CS:001b SS:0023 DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:1017 GS:000f
 EIP:4d8a502d ESP:00bea240 EBP:00bea288 EFLAGS:00010202(  R- --  I   - - - )
 EAX:00000000 EBX:00000000 ECX:4263087c EDX:00000000
 ESI:80040110 EDI:00bea2bc
Stack dump:
0x00bea240:  00000000 00bea2c0 00bea268 10296730
0x00bea250:  00110060 00000030 94e5baa2 7bc3c6f4
0x00bea260:  00000003 00bea294 00000000 00bea2f0
0x00bea270:  ac1d4174 7bc6668e 00bea2d8 10187e94
0x00bea280:  4d8a6317 00bea2c0 00bea358 4d8a63a1
0x00bea290:  10187e94 00bea2c0 00bea2bc 10296730
0202: sel=1017 base=7ffa0000 limit=00000fff 32-bit rw-

Update: Steam didn't crash, but the game I tried to load (which launched under 13.2) did.

Are you able to try a different game? That looks like a different crash than what we've been getting - maybe it is specific to that game.

Josh DuBois wrote:

Are you able to try a different game? That looks like a different
crash than what we've been getting - maybe it is specific to that
game.

I was able to install/load a demo of another game without a problem.

Forsaken World runs without issue under 13.2, though.

I was having trouble with Skyrim (to be specific, I was having trouble with using SKSE to launch Skyrim) and I got redirected here by support (ticket 1006236) in order to try this build - it works much better, pretty much as well as it did prior to the 14 update (maybe a little better, but I also changed my mods in order to make troubleshooting easier) so it's hard to know where to lay praise/blame)

Some quick notes -

• I tried with the second build on this page - Version 14.0 (14.0.0.28431local)

• I had created an XP bottle via the steam crosstie previously ( https://www.codeweavers.com/bin/c4p/206 ) and installed Skyrim via Steam, rather than the Skyrim crosstie as support recommended

• When I installed SKSE via the installer it didn't/doesn't work to launch it from the .exe itself, but for some reason it does work if you launch it from the shortcut it makes in the crossover user's desktop folder (I'm glad I tried, not sure why I did though)

also -

One point of contention I have still with the update:

In my support ticket, it was advised that I remove XQuartz from my machine - that's really not acceptable as I have other software that requires XQuartz (or rather an XWindow implementation), so if I need to remove XQuartz for Crossover then I need Crossover to replace XQuartz - which I'm guessing isn't in the vision statement for Crossover (so please make sure Crossover isn't breaking or broken by Quartz).

Was the XQuartz thing serious?

Peter Hanley wrote:

One point of contention I have still with the update:

In my support ticket, it was advised that I remove XQuartz from my
machine - that's really not acceptable as I have other software that
requires XQuartz (or rather an XWindow implementation), so if I need
to remove XQuartz for Crossover then I need Crossover to replace
XQuartz - which I'm guessing isn't in the vision statement for
Crossover (so please make sure Crossover isn't breaking or broken by
Quartz).

Was the XQuartz thing serious?

I don't think removing XQuartz should be necessary in this case (or generally, with CrossOver: the two should normally work together fine). You're correct: we are not aiming for CrossOver to be a general-purpose X distribution - quite the contrary 😊

a little step forward...

I'm on OS X 10.10 Yosemite with crossover 14, I could only arrive at skyrim launcher, now with the new launcher build + rebuilding program list it starts, displays the little dragon with smoke, music + voices singing... and then it is stuck there.

If I press space I hear a sound, but nothing happens -but if I switch window (cmd+tab) to desktop and then again back to skyrim, it shows me the menu for continuing my game (it takes a couple of switch btw).

But then if I click to continue my saved game, it hangs, music stops and window closes.

Josh,

I installed and cleared/rebuilt, steam launched fine, when I tried borderlands, it appears to work fine, so it appears to have fixed that part at least. Stonehearth launches as well.

Dan

Much like Peter Hanley, it's not that Steam is crashing, but it Steam trying to play the games. In my case it's Medieval 2 Total War and it's DLC. I get the opening video and then an unexpected crash. I'm fairly new to Mac and it's been a few years since I played with Linux, I can't seem to figure out the terminal crash data yet. Anyway, I tried the new local build and clearing the bottles with the same results. I updated XQuartz a few days ago (still with no luck running my game) and Xcode is showing an update. I'll give the new build a go after Xcode is finished.

Good Evening,
I have opened Ticket "1006878 - Terraria will not Install". With this patch I was able to Launch Terraria through Steam and able to play the game.

After having issues with Steam not launching Terraria, I was able to get it to run by restarting my Mac. Then, just now, I tried to launch Skyrim, only for it to not launch.

Edit: and yes, the new download does make it work again.

I can confirm that the special build of CrossOver resolves the issue. Thanks for sharing it!

With the updates and restarting my Mac, I'm still having the same issues with Steam not playing the games. Have I missed something? :(

How about if you use CrossOver's 'Configure' menu and select 'Clear and Rebuild Programs...' ?

No luck with that either. Just updated to 14.01 and still the same. I'm just bummed because I just bought the license about 3 weeks ago and have only been able to use it a handful of times. I'm thinking I may have to do my file backup earlier than I was planning and do a clean install from the ground up.

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

Rayna Montez wrote:

No luck with that either. Just updated to 14.01 and still the same.
I'm just bummed because I just bought the license about 3 weeks ago
and have only been able to use it a handful of times. I'm thinking
I may have to do my file backup earlier than I was planning and do a
clean install from the ground up.

Shoot. Is it that Steam itself launches, but the 'Play' button does nothing? That really should be fixed with new launchers and 14.0.1. If it is not, we need to do more.

I am going to forward this to our ticket system in hopes we can learn more details.

Rayna Montez wrote:

With the updates and restarting my Mac, I'm still having the same
issues with Steam not playing the games. Have I missed something?
:(

Well i had the same Problem with Crossover 14.0.1
Everytime i click "play" a little window appeared and it said something with... step 1 of 1 installing net framework 4.0.cmd. After that nothing happened. Then i installed net.Framework 4.0 into the steam bottle. Then selected 'Clear and Rebuild Programs'. I tried to launch the game and it worked. So my problem was solved by installing net framework. Sometimes the game crashes but im glad the issue with Steam not playing the game is solved.

Hope i could help

Steam 14.0.1 allows me to launch the game (Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance).

However, after a couple minutes of play, the screen goes totally black. I hear the game still playing the background, but I cannot see anything on the screen. I tried to minimize and maximize the window. Cntr-tab through the applications. Nothing brings the game back to the screen.

So an "improvement" over 14.0, but still not quite there.

I'm running 10.9.5 on a MacBook Pro (retina) with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

Gene Anaya wrote:

Steam 14.0.1 allows me to launch the game (Supreme Commander: Forged
Alliance).

However, after a couple minutes of play, the screen goes totally
black. I hear the game still playing the background, but I cannot
see anything on the screen. I tried to minimize and maximize the
window. Cntr-tab through the applications. Nothing brings the game
back to the screen.

I'm running 10.9.5 on a MacBook Pro (retina) with 16GB RAM and 1TB
SSD.

I have been using Wine wrappers and a graphical fix to play these games. If you're interested let me know; I can post a link where to get these.

Jørgen wrote:

Gene Anaya wrote:

Steam 14.0.1 allows me to launch the game (Supreme
Commander: Forged Alliance).

However, after a couple minutes of play, the screen goes totally
black. I hear the game still playing the background, but I cannot
see anything on the screen. I tried to minimize and maximize the
window. Cntr-tab through the applications. Nothing brings the
game
back to the screen.

I'm running 10.9.5 on a MacBook Pro (retina) with 16GB RAM and 1TB
SSD.

I have been using Wine wrappers and a graphical fix to play these
games. If you're interested let me know; I can post a link where to
get these.

I'd appreciate the links, so I can play again. I'm hoping Crossover will continue to work this issue as well.

Use this link to get your wrapper(s). http://paulthetall.com/mac-strategy-games/

You can also try the crosstie provided if you like; I don't think I ever used this option myself, you might give it a try...
You may find some important info concerning those black screens on the page for the Supreme Commander (1) wrapper, not on the page for the standalone expansion Forged Alliance. You'll find some info and a link to download the game prefs which you need to replace - bloom must be turned off, if you know how using eg texteditor, you can do it yourself. Clicking to Download wrappers will take you to a page with several Steam wrappers. (http://www.filefactory.com/folder/b0b622d81140437a) I think you want to choose the "steam build2". I hope this info helps!

(Please note this is not a promo for that site and that I don't own it or relate to it or anything of the kind; I just used it myself to get those games running).

Jørgen wrote:

Use this link to get your wrapper(s).
http://paulthetall.com/mac-strategy-games/

You can also try the crosstie provided if you like; I don't think I
ever used this option myself, you might give it a try...
You may find some important info concerning those black screens on
the page for the Supreme Commander (1) wrapper, not on the page for
the standalone expansion Forged Alliance. You'll find some info and
a link to download the game prefs which you need to replace - bloom
must be turned off, if you know how using eg texteditor, you can do
it yourself. Clicking to Download wrappers will take you to a page
with several Steam wrappers.
(http://www.filefactory.com/folder/b0b622d81140437a) I think you
want to choose the "steam build2". I hope this info helps!

(Please note this is not a promo for that site and that I don't own
it or relate to it or anything of the kind; I just used it myself to
get those games running).

It's fine to go use any wrapper or additional solution but before you do so, please take care of the community as a whole.

Please file a Support Ticket so that we are aware your game is not working and don't feel guilty mentioning that it works with Wineskin, Winebottler, PlayOnMac, PlayOnLinux and how you got it to run with those solutions. It is valuable information that at times has lead the community as a whole to a permanent fix. It also gets the issue in front of Wine developers and is certainly an easier alternative than trying to open a bug on WineHQ. If we never know a game is not working with CrossOver, we can never fix it. If there is a workaround like using a wrapper or a patch from Wine, making sure we know that is a really great way to improve CrossOver and Wine and ensuring that the fix becomes a permanent piece of the project.

My concern with "use this wrapper" is that the fix never applies and as Wine matures, the fix gets lost. It means that the possibility exists that someday the game won't work with any solution. It has happened. Apple or any Linux distribution might update and all versions of Wine prior to 1.7.25 might not run. Then, the fix that works with a Wine wrapper based on 1.7.8 won't run and anyone who had the problem has no great method to get the game running.

Dan Stegman wrote:

Well, I can verify that steam runs, but none of the games installed
in it do. I have had to downgrade back to 13.2.0 for the time
being. Beyond that, most of my issues with Steam in 13.2.0 went
away, like the steamwebhelper.exe popping up constantly at launch.

The games in question, Torchlight II and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
act like they launch, but then immediately quit (within a second or
two), going back to Steam with no errors. I also did a clean bottle
install of steam and borderlands, same result.

Hopefully this can be handled in the next point release. I imagine
there are loads of people using crossover for Steam.

Dan

This issue has been resolved with CrossOver 14.0.1. If you are experiencing issues with launching individual games, please contact our Support Team by emailing ninjas@codeweavers.com or by completing the Contact Us form.

Caron Wills wrote:
It's fine to go use any wrapper or additional solution but before you do so, please take care of the community as a whole.

Please file a Support Ticket so that we are aware your game is not working and don't feel guilty mentioning that it works with Wineskin, Winebottler, PlayOnMac, PlayOnLinux and how you got it to run with those solutions. It is valuable information that at times has lead the community as a whole to a permanent fix. It also gets the issue in front of Wine developers and is certainly an easier alternative than trying to open a bug on WineHQ. If we never know a game is not working with CrossOver, we can never fix it. If there is a workaround like using a wrapper or a patch from Wine, making sure we know that is a really great way to improve CrossOver and Wine and ensuring that the fix becomes a permanent piece of the project.

My concern with "use this wrapper" is that the fix never applies and as Wine matures, the fix gets lost. It means that the possibility exists that someday the game won't work with any solution. It has happened. Apple or any Linux distribution might update and all versions of Wine prior to 1.7.25 might not run. Then, the fix that works with a Wine wrapper based on 1.7.8 won't run and anyone who had the problem has no great method to get the game running.[/quote]

I apologize. The solution dates from before I started to use CrossOver. I will file a support ticket.

I continued to have issues with the graphics going black running Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance after upgrading to 14.0.1

This suggestion via an email from support person at Codeweavers solved my problem:

One thing you could try is manually setting the amount of vram you have in https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/videomemorysize and see if that keeps the game running longer.

I had to follow the link on that page to add the entry, but once I added it to the bottle, the game ran fine.

I had installed via Steam several years ago and several Crossover updates ago and never had to set or monkey with any such settings.

[ this is in reply to Gene Anaya's comment above, not to the initial post ]

Please go to the Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info... -> System Report... -> Graphics/Displays and then post the following entries:

• VRAM (Total)
  • Vendor
  • Device ID

I had the same problem with Crossover 14 on my Mac. It's due to a change in how wine detects the capabilities of graphics cards it doesn't know about, which doesn't play nice with OS X (see https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2014-November/105822.html and the rest of that thread for the technical details).

With the above information, I should be able to create a patch for wine so that it will contain the necessary information to automatically set the right amount of VRAM for your card.

1 to 36 of 36

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibVQ0d3A2S0drc2NBVG5rZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9