CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Help, newbie question. Trying to install DVD Fab, Needs Open GL Driver

Hi All,

I've just discovered Crossover, looks like an interesting way to run some old apps I might find useful.

I have downloaded the trial, however, I am trying to get the DVDFab app running on my Mac, I have installed the app with a Windows XP Bottle, which I heard was the best way to get things working. But i've got the program running and I get the start screen with the logo, but before jumping into the main part of the program I get an error with a long message, but it explains at the bottom it that it requires an Open GL Driver to be installed to make it work. I've looked around and found what I think to be a driver for my Mac, and it just seems to be a standard PC Nvidia file, but before I try to install I am concerned that installing this will create conflicts with the existing Mac driver I have, and wondered if (A) I could root Crossover to use the existing Mac driver, or (B) do I download and install the PC Nvidia driver as well and use that, and hope it won't kill off my Mac?

Sorry this sounds a little unnerving as I really only want to try this initially just to see how well it works. But I'm a little unsure on how the Crossover software works.

Being a Linux user, I'm no Mac user but I'm sure of a few things:

1) Do not use Windows / Linux drivers on a Mac. It shouldn't even be possible to install them in the first place, and installing them in a bottle serves no purpose whatsoever. I'm 100% sure that a Windows video driver has no good use for Crossover.

2) Using Crossover as root isn't a good idea, nor should it even be needed. In fact, doing anything under root should be avoided unless absolutly necessary, and this isn't it.

3) I'm fairly convinced that your card is just not correctly detected via Crossover, which sometimes happen. I know that some registry hacking in the bottle can fix such problems, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to get you there myself.

Unless some knowledgeable Mac user comes by, I can't answer this perfectly myself. So I would write to info@codeweavers.com and bring this problem to the staff. Hopefully, they can get you going.

DVDfab has a native Mac OS X version.

Well there you go, I should have checked...

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieUt5VHJ3ZFZXSm1aWnlkQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9