CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

problems importing win98 bottle archives into CrossOver Mac 14?

I've been wondering if anyone has had success importing archives of win98 bottles into CrossOver 14 and executing the programs installed in them. (I'm referring to bottle archives created by prior versions of CrossOver.) Over the last several months I've had no success with my archive -- below I'll share details -- and I would be interested in hearing if people either know of a fix, but barring that, perhaps at least have seen this problem before. (And, if the admins are aware that this issue is a no-go, because CrossOver14 and (pre-14) win98 bottle archives are simply no longer compatible, then I'd like to know that too.)

Here's my issue: the machine is a new MacBook Pro that shipped running OSX Yosemite, and each of the CrossOver 14 versions I've tried (14.0 through 14.1.4) has been cleanly uninstalled and re-installed between each attempt. Each time, what happens is that the old win98 bottle archive is imported into CrossOver, reportedly successful, but then each of the bottle's applications (just IE6 and MS Money 2004) fails to launch -- the app icon might bounce once but then stops.

The bottle in question was originally created by CrossOver 6.2.1 (on a MacMini running Leopard) and performed fine through a few CrossOver updates, up to 9.0.0; at that point I archived the bottle to a safe storage location. Over the years since then, I have always been able to import this bottle archive into CrossOver versions installed on new machines, with new OSX versions -- including one running CrossOver 13.2 (under Mavericks) that is still working beautifully. But the CrossOver 14.* versions (I attempted once in a Mavericks environment but have mostly worked on the Yosemite machine) have always had the above fatal issue.

I've also tried a variant in which I used the 13.2 program to export a "new" archive of the same bottle, and tried importing that bottle into the 14. programs on the laptop running Yosemite -- thinking that the later CrossOver version might "talk" better to 14. -- but that made no difference.

(I have also tried running 13.2 in a Yosemite environment, and importing the old win98 bottle there. Here, all programs in the bottle worked fine -- aside from the known "cosmetic" issue of extra folder icons in the dock.)

For what it's worth, here is some console log info from one of the "failures to launch" in CrossOver 14.*. By the way, I see no reason for "userenv.dll" to present a problem, since this file is not missing from my bottle:

Starting '/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--new-console' '--workdir' '/Users/editor/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/w98money04expfrom132/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Money/System' '--start' '--'
'/Users/editor/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/w98money04expfrom132/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Money/System/msmoney.exe'

err:module:import_dll Library userenv.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system32\\services.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"c:\\windows\\system32\\services.exe" failed, status c0000135
err:wineboot:start_services_process Unexpected termination of services.exe - exit code -1073741515
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
The explorer process failed to start.
err:module:attach_process_dlls "rpcrt4.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"c:\\windows\\system32\\explorer.exe" failed, status c0000005

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZXVISGhta3ZBWlBucHA1NCIsImdkcHIiOjB9