CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

General Advice: Play ANY Windows DX9 game with CrossOver

[b]Little Intro
[/b]I was just checking Skyrim V CrossTie and it has 3 stars review with written “Limited Functionality”.
If I’m new to CrossOver, I will never bother to install Skyrim. Even worse, If I’m checking to buy CrossOver just to play Skyrim V on Mac I’ll never buy it.

Maybe reviewer has problems with some mods but Skyrim V works perfectly in CrossOver for the long time. In fact, it runs so well, that it’s strange why “CrossOver Skyrim V bottle” is not published as a native MacOS app. (Bethesda will probably never do it, but just for example).
Also, many other games have bad rating for old CrossOver versions, even no ratings at all, no CrossTie, outdated tips for problems long ago solved and so on.

People should know that CrossOver Wine technology has come to a really mature age where ANY Direct X 9 game should work in CrossOver 16.1. And it will work great.

Advice
It's always good to first check for CrossTie, Codeweavers "What Runs" and Wine "Appdb" for the app info.
There are still corner cases and dx9 games not running in CrossOver 16.

But, as a general rule of advice for installing any Windows DX9 game into CrossOver:

Make new bottle (same procedure for 32 and 64-bit)

• Firstly install into bottle .NET 2.0 then .NET 4.0
  • Than Visual C++ Redistributable 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013
  • Than DirectX 9 for Modern Games
  • And Nvidia PhysX

Install your digital store (Steam, Origin etc) and your DX9 game should work. And your other games should work in the same bottle. (tried this method for a new Windows 7 64-bit bottle and Skyrim V worked :) )

If not, search for Crossover tips and Appdb for any additional libraries override maybe still needed.
If it's work, but is slow or with bugs, check game forums for actual PC tips and fixes where You can always find lot of the useful information. After all You have a real PC under your disposal 😊

Have fun
Cheers!

[i]Please correct and add additional informations
Some games have better performance with CrossOver 15.3.1
[/i]

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUU51eUNKeGc3SHpZNlo1ZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9