CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Trying to run Steam and game on Win 10 64-bit Bottle

Has anyone gotten Steam to run successfully on a Win 10 64-bit bottle? I'm trying to get a specific Steam game to run. It's called The Political Process. It requires Win 10 64-bit. I can't seem to get Steam to run successfully on that bottle. The couple times I thought it worked, I clicked to play the game and all it said was "running." It just kept running and running. But the game didn't open or show me anything. It was just stuck in this state. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I am new to this stuff. If I could get this game to work, I will purchase the full edition of Crossover right now. :) Thanks!

Steam now runs proton it's own version of wine with dxvk install the native version to get it to work

Thanks, Curt. I'm doing this from a MacBook Pro. I'm trying to build proton for MacOS right now based on their github instructions. I haven't been able to do it successfully. One of the commands isn't executing according to their instructions. :/

Curt Peregoy wrote:

Steam now runs proton it's own version of wine with dxvk install the
native version to get it to work

@Curt - Not exactly.

Proton is for the Linux Steam client, not macOS. It enables Steam Play, to run Windows games on Linux.

Quoted from the Proton GitHub:
--------------------------------------------------
Proton is a tool for use with the Steam client which allows games which are exclusive to Windows to run on the Linux operating system. It uses Wine to facilitate this.

Check this link: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

@Ryan

As for "The Political Process", have you created a new Windows 10 64-bit bottle to test it?

Something to try is the "Run Command..." option, use the same bottle, click the "Browse..." button to select the game exe, and select the "Create log file" checkbox, and click "Run".

This will create a log file up to where it just says 'Running", and may give some clues as to what isn't working.

I see this is in Early Access on Steam too, and looks like windows of tabs and forms. It may need a Visual C redistributable or .NET, which regular Windows usually has.

Cheers

--mike

Hey, Mike. Thanks for your helpful feedback. The issue I'm having now is getting Steam to run on a Win 10 64-bit bottle. I can't get Steam to run properly. It's very glitchy and the browser never works. Does anyone have a Win 10 64-bit bottle that works successfully? I've even added the latest .Net and Visual Basic dependencies, too.

Okay, Mike. I did what you said. I have a log file and backtrace file of what's happening with Political Process. It seems like there are dependencies missing.

This is the error I'm receiving:

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000009 in 64-bit code (0x000000014015d2d5)

I'm already on a Google search to see what others have done with the issue. :)

The problem seems to be with Kernel32.dll, I think. I'm very new to reading these Crossover logs and backtraces. I'm not sure what to look for. The log file itself is insanely long lol. In any event, there could be a problem with system setup, registry and/or drivers... seems like I'm going to be in the rabbit hole a very long time if I'm going to get The Political Process to work.

I just fired up a win 10 x64 bottle and tried to load steam and it does NOT run well at all. For me the store tab does not load at all and the library tab is acting up as well. It is nice to see that I am not the only one having these issues. Hopefully, there can be a patch to steam or crossover if needed for the issue. For now I will just use a 32 bit win 10 bottle.

Caleb McDaniels wrote:

I just fired up a win 10 x64 bottle and tried to load steam and it
does NOT run well at all. For me the store tab does not load at all
and the library tab is acting up as well. It is nice to see that I
am not the only one having these issues. Hopefully, there can be a
patch to steam or crossover if needed for the issue. For now I will
just use a 32 bit win 10 bottle.

Have you tried using View>Small Mode? This and the Downloads page both seems to work, which might be enough to get you going ...

Ryan Sizer wrote:

Hey, Mike. Thanks for your helpful feedback. The issue I'm having
now is getting Steam to run on a Win 10 64-bit bottle. I can't get
Steam to run properly. It's very glitchy and the browser never
works. Does anyone have a Win 10 64-bit bottle that works
successfully? I've even added the latest .Net and Visual Basic
dependencies, too.

@Ryan

Just had another thought...

Have you tried installing Steam and The Political Process into a Win 7 64-bit bottle?

Steam behaves well in that kind of bottle, and the The Political Process shouldn't need a Win 10 bottle.

The developers probably suggested Windows 10 in the Specs, because they may developing on that.
By the looks of the screenshots on the Steam page, it's only using a slightly custom flat 2D interface.

Does the log file mention specific dependencies? As in any .NET or Visual C libraries, or anything else?

Mike Norman wrote:

@Ryan

Just had another thought...

Have you tried installing Steam and The Political Process into a Win 7 64-bit bottle?

Steam behaves well in that kind of bottle, and the The Political Process shouldn't need a Win 10 bottle.

The developers probably suggested Windows 10 in the Specs, because they may developing on that.
By the looks of the screenshots on the Steam page, it's only using a slightly custom flat 2D interface.

Does the log file mention specific dependencies? As in any .NET or Visual C libraries, or anything else?

Thanks, Mike. I will try this but I think I initially tried Win 7 64-bit and it didn't work. Also, the log files are insanely long... I try perusing it but then I just get frustrated and say to heck with it. I'm not very good at reading the log file and understanding what the dependencies are. I guess I have to keep practicing lol. 

Unfortunately, I couldn't get The Political Process to work with a Win 7 64-bit bottle. It says it's running but it just hangs indefinitely without executing. I have the same problem with the Win 10 bottle.

Ryan Sizer wrote:

Unfortunately, I couldn't get The Political Process to work with a
Win 7 64-bit bottle. It says it's running but it just hangs
indefinitely without executing. I have the same problem with the Win
10 bottle.

@Ryan

Hmmm, I'm getting the same result in a Win 7 64-bit bottle.

Could you post your log (the saved .cxlog file) to here?

Paste a link to a PasteBin, your Google Drive, or similar.
The log would be too long to paste within a message.

1 to 14 of 14

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV3Y0dEVlMzQ1bWdxVUxoRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9