CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot switch accounts in Steam

Hi guys!

My GF got MacBook Air M1 (Monterey) and I wanted to play Portal 2 with her in co-op. I didn’t know the game wasn’t available on macOS so I was looking for ways to install the game on the laptop. There are many apps to do so, though I decided to use CrossOver — as far as I know, it’s by far the best app for running games for Windows.

I installed Steam via CrossOver as intended and did successfully log in to her account. However, she doesn’t have a game, and to test if it works or not, I wanted to share my library with her — to do so, I need to log in to my account first on her system and then give her access to my library.

The issue here is it’s impossible to switch accounts in Steam via CrossOver — the Steam is loading/connecting forever and just crashes when I try to switch from one account to another, be it mine or her.

If I’m not mistaken, the issue is all about the Steam login screen — I’ve tried to exit Steam from my GF’s account without re-login, and it did work! Though, if I QUIT from the account, then — no luck, it just crashes/loads forever.

I don’t know what can cause this issue. I did try to delete all the files except Steam.exe in the Steam folder — it did work and Steam re-installed itself. I suppose it’s possible to find a workaround by saving account credentials and deleting other files, but maybe there is a proper way of fixing this bug.

Thank you all for the replies in advance!

Hi there,

We are not able to reproduce this issue: we're seeing no problem signing in with multiple Steam accounts. However, we do know that a recent update to Steam is causing certain connections to take a very long time to go through, so you might just be running into that (it is random: some connections will happen quickly, but others will take several minutes).

We are working on a fix for CrossOver 21.2, due out this spring, but we do also have a workaround for you. If you right-click the Steam launcher in CrossOver and select "Run with Options", you can enter "-udpforce" without the quotes in the Command Line Options field and then click Run. That should allow you to connect successfully and quickly.

Best,
Meredith

Hey hi, Meridith!

Thanks for the reply!

My GF and I were waiting for more than 10 minutes and nothing happened. I don’t know what causes this issue but it always happened when we tried to switch from one account to another.

We’ll try the suggested workaround and I really hope it will work! I’ll keep in touch!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUWNFNUNGSldudkZnMkx6biIsImdkcHIiOjB9