CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

"Installation failed to load required resources"

Hello, I'm new here.

Trying to install a PC EXE game on my imac with no luck and hoping someone can help. The game was purchased for a now-dead PC ages ago but is now offered free: http://www.jenkatgames.com/free/Finders-Keepers/

I've been at this for a few days now - managed to get a few other error messages resolved with the addition of support components (including Internet Explorer), but this last error message has me stumped: "This installation failed to load required resources. Please try cleaning your Internet Explorer temporary files and retry the installation...Error text: Failed to initialize dialog"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The game requires mfc71.dll, which is supposed to be distributed with .Net 1.1, but when I installed .Net, the dll wasn't there. I found my copy of mfc71.dll from an old virtual machine. The game did start and run, but it crashed shortly after, so your mileage may vary.

So it's up to you if you want the take the dll from some site on the web. I won't distribute that file myself.

Thank you, J-P Simard.

I tried re-downloading IE 7 and that seemed to work somehow; the game now appears in the program window and seems to be installed, but it won't play. It seems to start up briefly, then crashes. I'm going to give up on this one, I think. But I'm grateful for the prompt response, both here and with Vince Lund who responded helpfully to my initial email.

Thanks for your kind words!

J-P Simard, just in case you're still checking in here: did you get a specific dll error message, or how did you know about the missing dll?

Got it from a debug log.

If you "run a windows command", as per the manual, you will find you have debug options, which include a debug log. If the problem is with missing files, a basic debug log should help you find it without extra debug options.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVld6ZVNBZGVTeGNyOEdHOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9