CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Issue with Steam-games (Black screen)

Hey there!

I would love to play an old game over steam (Civilization III) and after installing the trial version of Crossover I was really excited that everything seemed to work out perfectly.
Unfortunately, once starting the game, I get a black screen - the intro of the games is fine and even the music is there (even during the black screen).

Can anyone help with this problem? It seems that the game is playable - maybe a graphic issue?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi there!

I'm having the same problem after downloading your trial version. (No problems with installing steam.) I try to start the game Dawn of War 2 Retribution. I get the sound and from what I hear that's the start up movie and then it gets to the starting menu of the game.

But the screen is black throughout it all.

Is there a solution to this? I downloaded your program with the hope of being able to play this game.

cheers

I have played Dawn of war II on my Linux box some time ago with Crossover, so I would think running this on your Mac is entirely possible. I would suggest writing to info@codeweavers.com and tell them of your problem directly, they might have to solution on hand.

I haven't got these games installed so I can't test this myself: select the bottle with your game and right-click on it. Select settings -> Performance Enhanced Graphics.

Does that make any difference?

This one was recently posted concerning a similar problem with another game. You can try if the solution offered here solves your black screens as well...

Gene Anaya wrote:
2014-11-07 11:03 · #35
I continued to have issues with the graphics going black running Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance after upgrading to 14.0.1

This suggestion via an email from support person at Codeweavers solved my problem:

One thing you could try is manually setting the amount of vram you have in https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/videomemorysize and see if that keeps the game running longer.

I had to follow the link on that page to add the entry, but once I added it to the bottle, the game ran fine.

I guess I'm a total noob, but what do you mean by bottle?

Erik Neander wrote:

I guess I'm a total noob, but what do you mean by bottle?

If you installed the game thru Steam you find Steam installed in your main view window. This is called a bottle. Everytime you install new Windows software by default a new one will be created. You can install new additional software in an existing bottle by selecting it; right-clicking it and selecting Install new software into...

The bottle is actually a kind of shell of windows software on your mac or Linux PC in which you install your game or application.

See: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/unsupported_deps for screenshots.

BTW: I forgot to ask. Are you using Mac or Linux?

Thanks for your answers. I'm on a mac :)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQnJucGttYmV6S3BYVlNYTSIsImdkcHIiOjB9