CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installation Problem - Quicken Basic 2001 - Can't read CD to get installation

I have been running Quicken Basic 2001 on my XP since 2001. I was just gifted a MAC running Snow Leopard (version 10.6.8) and would like to move my Quicken to the Mac. Having read that this is possible, I have just installed the trail version of Crossover for Mac Version 13.2 (13.2.0.27771). I selected "Other Applications" under "Unsupported Applications." I then selected "Choose Installer File" under "Select an Installer" and inserted the original "Quicken 2001 Basic" CD. The CD runs and then self-ejects so I am unable to select an files from the CD.

I also tried to do the install by creating a bottle first (one with a bottle type win2000 and the other as winxp). I then selected Open C: drive and inserted the CD. In both scenarios the CD ran and self-ejected.

Well, I'm guessing that I need to run the wine configuration program to map a drive (D:) to the CD device. However, I don't know what to enter in the path. Is this possible and will this allow me to run the installation program on the CD without it self-ejecting?

What do I do to get this installed? I am totally lost and a novice Mac user.

Hi Lisa

If you Mac is automatically ejecting the CD, that means that it is unable to read the CD. This means that there is an issue with the CD itself or your disc drive.

If you are able to get your Mac to recognize the CD you can try installing it using our Crosstie here but I can't say if such an old version of Quicken will run in Crossover anymore.

I had a problem with my Mac internal Superdrive not reading my Quicken 2001 Basic CD when I tried to install this product in Crossover. My Superdrive would spin up the CD and then eventually eject it.I am assuming this happens because the CD is setup to autorun when inserted to any CD drive.

I solved my problem by copying the Quicken CD to a a new folder (which I named "Quicken") on my PC desktop then copying it to a thumb drive that I formatted on my Mac so that it could be used on both the Mac and PC. Then I transferred the file to my Mac's desktop. I ran Crossover's "Install Windows Software" and selected "Unsupported Applications -> Other Application". Next I clicked on "Select and installer -> Choose installer Folder" and clicked on a sub-directory in the the copied folder named " Quicken", In this sub-directory was just a folder named "QWBASMMIR1F (D)" that contained all of Quicken CD folders and files that were on the original Quicken program CD. When I clicked on that folder my Quicken software installed.

I hope others find this information helpful. I am also posting here the information I found online that pointed me in the right direction to do this installation. In addition to the links I am including the actually instructions in the event that these pages disappear.

How do I install Quicken from CD if I do not have a CD/DVD drive?

How do I install Quicken from CD if I do not have a CD/DVD drive?
Updated: 2/21/2014 | Article ID: GEN86249

More and more computer are being sold without CD/DVD drives. If you have a computer without a CD drive and if you purchased Quicken on CD or have an old copy of Quicken on CD you'd like to install, unfortunately there is no magical process that will let us extract the files from the CD without a CD drive. However, if you have access to a CD drive on another computer, anywhere, you can save the content of the CD to a flash/thumb/USB drive, then install Quicken from that USB drive. We'll explain how.

First, go to a computer with a CD drive (don't forget to take your Quicken CD and your USB drive with you!).

Place the Quicken CD in the computer's CD drive. If you're asked to install Quicken, click No or Cancel.  
Insert your USB thumb drive in a USB port on your computer.  We'll use it in a minute.  
By your Start button on your Windows desktop, there should be a folder icon on the bottom task bar. If you mouse-over it, it'll say Windows Explorer. Click on that icon to open it. If you don't see the icon, click the Windows Start button and select My Computer.  
Right-click directly on the CD drive that contains the Quicken CD, then choose Copy.  You're copying the contents of the CD to your computer's clipboard.  
Close out of the windows you have open so you can get back to your desktop.  Right-click on your desktop, choose New > Folder.  You can rename the folder if you'd like, but it is not necessary.  
Once you've created the new folder on your desktop, right-click on the folder and choose Paste.  This will move the files from your clipboard to your new folder.  
We have the files necessary to install Quicken in that new folder.  We have to now put it on your thumb drive.  So again, right-click on the new folder and choose Copy.  
Open Windows Explorer again (as we did in step 3).  Find your USB flash drive.  Right-click directly on the drive, then choose Paste.  When complete, the Quicken install files will be in your thumb drive and ready for transport.  
Eject your USB drive.

Now, go back to your computer -- the one you want to install Quicken on. Bring the USB drive with you from the other computer. You won't need the Quicken CD any longer.

Insert your USB thumb/flash drive into a USB port in the computer. When it registers, you'll see it available in Windows Explorer as an available drive.  
Once the USB drive shows up, double-click on the USB drive.  You'll see the new folder you created on the first computer.  
Right-click the new folder and choose Copy.  
Close out of Windows Explorer to reveal your desktop.    
Right-click on your desktop and choose Paste.  This will make a copy your new folder on your desktop.  
When complete, double-click your new folder.  
Double-click on the folder DISK1.   
Within DISK1, double-click on setup.exe to start the Quicken installation.

2,862 Tutorials How to format a USB stick on a Mac using Disk Utility

How to format an USB stick on a Mac

Step one:

Once you've put the USB stick into your Mac, you need to open the Applications folder, which can be located in the Finder - or by pressing ‘cmd’ and ‘spacebar’ keys together then typing "applications".

Step two:

In Applications, scroll down to the Utilities folder and open the Disk Utility application. Alternatively, search for the application using OS X's built-in search function.

Step three:

Once in the Disk Utility application, you need to select your USB drive in the column to the left of the window. Once you have done this you need to select the Erase tab, which is found at the top of the large column to the right of the window.

Step four:

When in the Erase tab, you need to make sure the Format dropdown box is displaying “MS-DOS (FAT)”. You can also give your USB stick a personalized name in the field below.

Step five:

Then next and last thing you need to do is press the erase button and you will have formatted your USB stick - it will then go back to displaying it’s full capacity as being available.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYzVWVDZkM2VIelVZWFRmcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9