CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

No CD-ROM Volume Label?

I am using CrossOver 14.0.3 (14.0.3.28476) on a MBP running Mavericks 10.9.5.

I have a password protected PDF file on a CD-ROM, that was purchased a long time ago. The PDF file must be opened via launch.exe, which in turns opens an early version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (6), which is included on the CD-ROM, and automatically inserts the PDF’s password.

I can see the CD-ROM in a Windows 7 bottle via Explorer. I can also start launch.exe, but the rest of the process fails with the following error:

No disc inserted.
Please insert the original “Inklingo SC3” CD/DVD.

If I mount that CD-ROM on a Windows 7 computer, it shows the "Inklingo SC3" label. When I open a command prompt window in the above bottle, it shows, "Volume in drive D has no label." That's a definite problem because launch.exe expects a label of "Inklingo SC3".

I read the “10.2 Adding a new drive or customizing the drive label / serial number” section in the Mac version of the manual. I may be wrong, but it appears to me that this section was taken from the Linux manual, but not updated for the Mac platform. That is, it talks about /mnt and /dev/sda1, which are not used on Macs. I was able to find the pertinent files via “Open shell”:

d: -> /Volumes/Inklingo SC3
d:: -> /dev/rdisk1s0

That section also mentions, “To set the label you would create a file called .windows-label on the root of the virtual drive.
$ echo ’MY_LABEL’ >/mnt/.windows-label “
Of course, I redirected "Inklingo SC3" to /Volumes/.windows-label instead of /mnt/.windows-label. This did not help.

Is it possible to get CrossOver to use the correct CD-ROM label?

Thanks,
Bev in TX

You might be able to set the label by clicking the Bottles button in the top-left of Crossover, select a bottle you're running launch.exe against, under Control Panels open Wine Config, Drives tab, select the D: drive and Advanced and then enter a label.

Another idea is create a folder with the correct name and copy the disc contents to that folder. See if launch.exe is ok with that.

Thanks for your suggestion about Wine configuration. Unfortunately, it won't let me change the label -- that option is grayed out. It incorrectly said that the CD-ROM was a floppy disk, which I corrected to CD-ROM & clicked "Apply", but that did not help. In any case, every time I restart CrossOver, that floppy disk -> CD-ROM change vanished. Is there a way in which to make it retain the values?

I also tried deleting the drive and adding it back in Wine Configuration. I left the type as auto detect and was then able to enter a volume label. That too failed, because Wine did not retain my label. That is, in Wine Command Prompt, "dir d:\" told me that there was no label.

The security on the CD-ROM prevents the files from being copied to disk and run from there. I detest copy protection! I just tried it again to verify that the problem also occurs under CrossOver/Wine. I even tried to fake it out as a drive with the proper label and it still had the same error.

Bev in TX

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiejlkdWQyWkNlYjJyVk5VRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9