CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Acting Weird

Alright, so I have Crossover 14, and I decided to install steam since I primarily got crossover for games and all that. So far, I've "installed" three games, but only one correctly works and opens. The three games are: Terraria, Dino D-Day, and Primal Carnage, but Dino D-Day is the only one that works. If I try to open up Primal Carnage or Terraria, a different error occurs depending on the two games. With Primal Carnage, a pop up will appear that says that its the "first time setup" and Microsoft .NET opens. I click the usual things, open it, and it will begin to install the game, but it usually makes it to 'Downloading netfx_core.mzz' before abruptly closing. Attempting to open the game after this will perform the same process, and again it will close. No error message or anything appears, it just closes. I'll cover Terraria once Primal Carnage is fixed or any sort of solution is found.

Steam is acting as it should, it tried to install .NET and XNA.

Install Terraria using the crosstie and it will work. Advocates and staff (I see it has been officially adopted as a supported game now) have put a lot of work into crossties. Use them. You can either tell CrossOver to re-use the Steam bottle (might not be possible if a botched .NET install polluted it) or tell it to install in a fresh bottle. Isolation might mean a few more megabytes get used but you get the huge benefit of not having runtimes trample over each other.

Click the big, green button on this page:
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/terraria

Here's a screenshot of it running on my Ubuntu desktop. I installed it today to see if I could replicate your problem.
http://imgur.com/6qkOm6Z

Regarding the other game, you should also try to install .NET 4 (if that's what it needs) using this crosstie:
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/microsoft-net-framework-40

Steam might still try to run the .NET 4.0 installer but it might just error out and continue to try and load the game. I don't own a copy of it, so I don't know whether the game actually runs in CrossOver or not.

The process of installing a Steam game for which there's no crosstie is like this:
1) Install Steam
2) install the various runtimes required via crossties into the same bottle where Steam was installed
3) Tell Steam to install the game.

Which runtimes might be required for a game can be found out via steamdb.info. This site has a nice search function to help track the crossties for those runtimes.

I understand what you're saying for the most part, but I'm still a little confused with this segment here:

"The process of installing a Steam game for which there's no crosstie is like this:
1) Install Steam
2) install the various runtimes required via crossties into the same bottle where Steam was installed
3) Tell Steam to install the game."

I looked back at the info for Primal Carnage, the second game, and it said it needed DirectX9. Previously, I had that downloaded as a separate application, but it seems that i need to install it into the same bottle like it says in step 2. The only issue is, I have very little knowledge over things like this, and I have no idea how to install it into the bottle. My apologies if this annoys you, but i am far from a tech saavy person.

The DirectX 9 files are installed when Steam gets installed. It's a dependency that the crosstie for Steam will install automatically. When attempting to run the game, Steam may still try to run a DirectX installer but it will probably fail and it's actually not an issue. Even if that fails, Steam will still try to load the game.

Sorry, for the possible thread jack, but to be clear on this:

Do I need to set up a separate bottle containing Steam for every PC game I want to play on my Mac through CrossOver?

No, you do not. There are some cases when this is recommended though. Mostly games making use of different versions of .NET for example.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUFJYYTJIWDdHVWZrZmRHeiIsImdkcHIiOjB9