CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Mass Effect Legendary on M1 Mac

OK, I have seen videos of it working, but I must be missing something because I cannot even get the launcher to start. I followed the Origin setup guide, and it runs, but then I installed the game through Origin. As soon as I run it I get a "There is a problem with your game's setup. Please reinstall your game." I tried installing DirectX for Modern Games, I installed more runtime libraries, nothing seems to make a difference.

Any help please?!? :)

The standard launcher does not work most likely because it requires AVX support. Try installing this one instead:

Non-AVX Launcher

Oh damn. I even read that at one point and then forgot about it. lol Thanks!

Can't get the game to start from Steam. Using the mentioned replacement launcher.

I failed at launching the game through Steam as well. As it is in my Steam library, how do I install /apply that Non-AVX launcher? Should I add it as software to my bottle, or is another procedure required?

Many thanks for an explainer,
Casper

Casper van Vliet wrote:

I failed at launching the game through Steam as well. As it is in my
Steam library, how do I install /apply that Non-AVX launcher? Should
I add it as software to my bottle, or is another procedure
required?

Many thanks for an explainer,
Casper

Installing the non-AVX launcher is a manual process. You would not install it with the "Install Windows Software" button. Instructions are included in the launcher zip file as readme.txt (see below.) If that is unclear, please let us know.

How to install

In your "Mass Effect Legendary Edition\Game\Launcher" directory, replace your original
"MassEffectLauncher.exe" (i.e. the one that shipped with Mass Effect LE) with the custom
one that you downloaded in the zip file. Make sure to unzip it first of course.

If you wish to do so, make a backup of your original "MassEffectLauncher.exe" beforehand,
by renaming it to "MassEffectLauncher.exe.original". You should always be able to restore
the original launcher anyway by verifying the game's integrity through Steam or Origin,
but it is still probably best to make your own backup.

The custom launcher MUST be placed in this directory; it should NOT be placed anywhere
else or run from anywhere else. When it is in the correct place, just run the game
through Steam or Origin like you normally would.

Do NOT try to double-click on the EXE and run it manually as this will probably not work.
You would see the custom GUI appear, but when you try to run a Mass Effect game, it will
not launch. As I said, just run the game through Steam or Origin like you normally would.

--EDIT: Removed info irrelevant to MacOS and Crossover--

Dear Eric,

Thank you for a swift reply. I get the idea, but - to some extent noob - I am oddly stuck in the proces in that anything from Finder will not copy paste into the game folder I reach by using manage local files through the Steam install. I get these are different OS. As I am having a hard time finding the local game files within the Finder interface, what is the trick to get exchanging files going?

Kind regards,
Casper

This is all assuming you installed the game with Steam + Origin. Details may be different if you just used Origin, or a different method altogether.

The fastest way to find the right place to put the launcher is probably to right click (or "option" click) on the Mass Effect bottle, then select "Open C: drive". If you installed Steam to the default location, you'll then need to open "Program Files (x86)", then "Steam", then "steamapps", then "common". This will take you to your installed Steam games.

From there, find the Mass Effect folder - probably marked "Mass Effect Legendary Edition" and navigate to "Game", and then to "Launcher" you should see a red icon with the M logo. This is the file that will you first need to backup (by renaming it), and then drag and drop the non-AVX launcher into this same folder. Once that is done, you should be able to go back to Steam and launch the game normally by pressing the Play button in Steam.

The alternate launcher is very plain, and principally features 3 big buttons, labelled ME1, ME2 and ME3 and a language selector. If nothing happens when you hit Play in Steam, then you've likely dropped the launcher in the wrong location.

Dear Eric,

Once again, thanks. I made the mistake of using Steam and then local files rather than digging them up through the bottle. Ofc copy-paste will work that way, and I got it to run. Sure enough, some sound issues, changing resolution isn't sticking but I'll fix those (threads all over for that stuff).

Enjoy your day,
Casper

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVVRINVNFQXlmNkZ2RnFCSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9