CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Any hope for better OpenGL support

So I want to run a game that needs OpenGL 4.3, but it seems that all that CrossOver has on my MacBook Pro out of the box is 2.1.

I did some searching around, and it seems like you might be able to up OpenGL support by using Zink + MoltenVK. There are articles like this one talking about it https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Zink-macOS-OpenGL-Vulkan and in the time since that is posted, it looks like the open bugs have been closed.

If I tried to install all that on my mac (seems max ports makes that possible) would there be anyway to get that working with CrossOver? I kind of fear that answer is going to be no as Quartz is going to lock me down to a lower version, which is why I am asking before I sink any more time into this.

Theoretically, it is possible to compile xQuartz with the newest version of Mesa and get this to work, but I've been unable to get it compiled unfortunately. And then, I'm not sure how to integrate that into Crossover, given that they don't use the X windowing system on macOS.

Interesting. CorssOver installs its own copy of Quartz, so maybe all that would need to be done is install it over the top of that. Would really like to know if anyone has had success doing that before I go down that road though.

https://github.com/openglonmetal/MGL

Seems promising?

Yes and no. It might help with a native Mac app, but I don't know how it could be integrated with CrossOver. Where as if I follow what I was looking at doing above, it might be that replacing quartz with a custom compiled version it might be enough. I was hoping to find someone that had tried with success before I sink time into it.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibWRydEFLS0tldDZlU2RSVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9