CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Stopped Working with Update

Hey there,

I just let Crossover push through the most recent update and now steam won't even launch. The icon appears and immediately goes away again. Help!

Did Steam stop working immediately when you updated to CrossOver 16, or did an update to the Steam client itself break things?

What version of OS X and CrossOver are you using? What kind of bottle is steam running in (i.e., 'WinXP, Win7, etc., and 32 or 64 bit?)

Steam stopped working immediately following the update. How do I find out which bottle I'm using?

I'm running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and Crossover Version 16.0 (16.0.0.30178).

Ryan Mauk wrote:

Steam stopped working immediately following the update. How do I
find out which bottle I'm using?

You select the bottle, in your case the Steam bottle. From the bottom of that window you select Configure Wine. Select Tab Applications. Here you find which Windows version you are using as well as the possiblilty of changing this setting into another version of the OS.

In my case, Steam kept on working, but a number of Steam games in my Mac (Dishonored, Mass Effect, Black Mesa, for instance) got their graphics so horribly glitched with "triangular flashes" (I with I had a better word for it) and other glitches that they became unplayable. I don't think it's Steam itself, but the way Crossover 16 (Wine 2.0?) handles graphic calls to MacOS. The problem exists both in 32-bit and 64-bit bottles.

I recommend staying out of version 16 if you care about running games until this problem is fixed.

I agree, I have been unable to run any steam games because it crashes right when I see my game list.

Francisco Ruiz wrote:

In my case, Steam kept on working, but a number of Steam games in my
Mac (Dishonored, Mass Effect, Black Mesa, for instance) got their
graphics so horribly glitched with "triangular flashes" (I with I
had a better word for it) and other glitches that they became
unplayable. I don't think it's Steam itself, but the way Crossover
16 (Wine 2.0?) handles graphic calls to MacOS. The problem exists
both in 32-bit and 64-bit bottles.

I recommend staying out of version 16 if you care about running
games until this problem is fixed.

It is feasible the update comes with Enhanced Graphics Modus enabled. Did you check/uncheck this option?

This just happened for me today, unfortunately!

Did anyone ever figure out how to fix this?

How do I find my save files to back them up if I wanted to re-install Steam & my games?

Hi there,

I report the exact same problem today. Yesterday all worked fine and today everything collapse. I feel cursed ... !

Same here... Please fix it!

The newest Steam update changed the way its networking code worked. In particular, it trips up on a Wine bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43315

The fix is straightforward and I hope it makes its way to CrossOver soon!

Yes, but I don't have old version steam. I remove all steam because I thought, that problem is with Steam. Maybe someone can upload working steam?

We're working on a new build with the fix now and hope to have it out shortly.

Can confirm, just uninstalled Steam and Crossover, re-installed both and Steam is not working. As the other reply mentioned they are working on a fix and we shall have to wait for now. Thank you for your diligence.

just for the records this thread :

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/steam?msg=197678

is related to here, so i post the link.

Wine guyz fix seem working.but only in Wine.

but in Crossover the new Steam update from today will not run too.

here is the change (july 11)
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client

i dont know if Valve will make another fix/update today or tomorrow , or if crossover will make a patch asap. we have to wait...

Speaking realistically, Valve is not going to make an update to work around this bug---Steam's code is behaving correctly, and it's just using Windows functionality that Wine/CrossOver only implemented 90% correctly, and the Steam code is touching the remaining 10%, which they're within their right to do.

So yes, you do have to wait for CrossOver to release an update. 😊 I just noticed that 16.2.5 is out now, which claims to fix the issue. Let's try it out!

Our fix just shipped! If you download the latest version of CrossOver you should have what you need.

nice job guyz

Yep, the fix worked awesomely for me. Thanks for getting it out there so quickly!

yes !!

that was fast and effective :) thanks to the dev team.

Fix worked great for me!

However can I mention incase management is reading that I bought the $40 one version about a month ago, and it wouldn't let me spend just $20 to upgrade to the full $60 one year subscription for the update, I had to pay a whole new $60 to get the one year subscription. So basically, I just wasted $40 becauseI couldn't spend $20 to upgrade my previous purchase after one month.

There should be an option to upgrade the $40 purchase to the $60 purchase without just needing to buy the $60

I am having this problem, Steam closes a few seconds after trying to open it. According to these other replies an update was released to fix this apparently? The only update I have seen is updating installation recipes. Is there a way to force an update to the program?

Cameron Fleet wrote:

I am having this problem, Steam closes a few seconds after trying to
open it. According to these other replies an update was released to
fix this apparently? The only update I have seen is updating
installation recipes. Is there a way to force an update to the
program?

Nevermind, I didn't check for updates. I would delete my previous reply but I don't know how.

Steam is working for me under the latest Crossover Mac (16.2.5). I am able to open steam, update it, and browse the program with no obvious problems. I'm running Mac Sierra.

Can confirm, update fixes

1 to 26 of 26

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieFpjTEJta0VkUmdhZUxTVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9