CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Which first and which second? Install Codeweaver 19 and upgrade to Catalina?

Still on a 2016 version of Codeweavers in order to run Windows Quicken 2014 on a 2013 or 2014 Mac Mini osx (?) can't remember version. I know, I know - but it's his computer and he doesn't download transactions and hardly ever goes online. Evidently can't do this year's TurboTax without Catalina.

Oh, and must keep a legacy version of Taipei that is so old - from the nineties - but it's what he prefers over a newish version of Mah jong. Go figure.

Anyway - what should I do first? Codeweaver 19 or upgrade to Catalina?. Must preserve Taipei. And do taxes.

Thanks for any comments.

@Sheree

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

I've been using Macs for the last 28 years and currently on Catalina 10.15.4 (latest) with CrossOver 19.
It would be wise to backup the Mac Mini and do a clean install of Catalina, instead of an upgrade.

Depending on the Mac Mini's hard drive, backing up to an empty 500GB or 1TB external drive would do.
Backup software not required either, just copy the whole Mac drive to the external. Then get a coffee.

After that, upgrade to Catalina with a clean install. This will erase the Mac Mini completely during install.
Once done, it will present you with the loading sequence as if the Mac Mini was brand new.

Then put back only the apps and documents that are required, then update to CrossOver 19.
Most Apple apps will have new versions, and won't need to be copied from the backup.

DO NOTE: That older 32-bit apps won't work on Catalina, and newer replacements will be needed.
If you're not sure, reply with a list of apps that are required, and we'll figure out what to do with them.

This may seem drastic, but it will clean any clutter that may have accumulated over the years.
Also the Mac Mini could have at least macOS 10.8 or 10.10 on it, which is 8 or 6 major OS updates ago.

Do also write down your Wi-Fi and password for the startup sequence. You'll setup a new user account.

Ask any other questions too, as I've been through the pain of upgrading my Macs over the years.

Hope this helps in some way.

--mike

Thank you for replying!

To further explain his computer use.... other than for storage for a digital photo hobby (no Photoshop type use) I would estimate he is a 10% user. That is, he uses 10% of the computer capabilities, programs, apps that a normal user does. Maybe 5%.

513 GB used of 999.35 GB available. Of the 513GB .... approx 450 GB is devoted to photos and movies taken with camera and iPhone. He does backup an iPad once a year and has 12.9GB for applications.

For Crossover, other than Windows Quicken 2014, the only other important item is the vintage game Taipei from the nineties.

Mac mini is now 10.12.6 MacOS Sierra.

So - knowing this, might I just go easy and upgrade this time around? Down the road there would be enough clutter to warrant a clean install.

Also - would welcome your thoughts on whether TP3.exe will work on Crossover 19. That, Quicken, photos, and TurboTax are really the only things that matter to him.

Thanks in advance!

@Sheree

Ah, in knowing a bit more, yes a direct upgrade would be the best option.
It would still be wise to have a backup, as any OS upgrade could have a hiccup.

Download macOS Catalina from the App Store and install from that app.
Bear in mind the download is 4.9GB in size and may take some time to finish.

As with any major OS upgrade, it will make the Mac Mini feel new again anyway.
There are new features 'under the hood', but it still has that familiar Mac feel to it.

As for Taipei, that should work in CrossOver 19. If it doesn't, we'll figure out why.
Also, does he use Apple Aperture or Photos with the photos and movies?

--mike

THANK YOU so much for replying. I will get started.

Taking awhile to download - especially true since we live in an area that is oh-so-close-but-yet-so-far from internet or cable providers. We use hotspots (that fortunately are unlimited). I'm guessing I'll be back tomorrow to check in.

I will check back in when I have upgraded OS and Crossover and let you know if everything works. Back up is on Time Machine.

Photos - not Aperture.

Reporting back -

Catalina is working
TurboTax is working
Quicken 2014 for Windows is working on the Free Trial of Crossover 19

I don't know how to get the vintage game TP3.exe to work on the new Crossover. It also seems like everytime it is launched, it has beeh putting another version of itself into Crossover (TP3.exe-2 through TP3.exe-198 in the bottles sidebar. AND I am completely lost as to what to do next, so please s-p-e-a-k s-l-o-w-l-y. Thank you!

@Sheree

Good to hear you've made successful progress upgrading to Catalina!

As for Taipei, is it the Microsoft game originally from Windows 3.1?
If so, I'll find a copy on the Internet Archive and test it on my end too.

Perhaps a Staff Member at Codeweavers could suggest what is happening.
I have a suspicion the TP3.exe is 16-bit, which is now too old for Crossover.

Hold-on, doing some investigating online and will report back.

--mike

Look online and it is the Taipei by Dave Norris released 1990 for Win 3.1. It did work on Crossover 14.

I'm a little confused as to "where" it resides now - as I don't see it in Applications but it's in the side bar when I open Crossover.

Thanks!

If you can't make that one work, maybe this one?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mahjong-taipei/9nblggh4wq7t?activetab=pivot:reviewstab

@Sheree

I've looked at that Mahjong Taipei link, but don't have a Microsoft account to download it.

As an option, I found this shareware Desktop Taipei which is $12 shareware released in 2013.
This does work, as I tested the demo version in a Windows 7 64-bit bottle.

As for the the multiple Taipei copies, is this in an older bottle updated in Crossover 19?
Perhaps create a new bottle, and install Quicken and Desktop Taipei afresh?

--mike

Yes. Thank you.

Since I started with the free trial - just to be sure - I'll soon purchase and get some help to install fresh. I'm guessing I'll tackle that in about a week.

If I have trouble, I'll come back here and wave and holler "Help me!"

Kindest regards.

So - I downloaded TP3.exe which my brother found for me again. It seemed to install with Crossover19 free trial and stated it was being installed into a bottle nameds Tp3.Exe-199. (See previous comments about the list I saw).

Up comes a Run Command dialog box to use Tp3.Exe-199. There is a blank command line but I have no idea what to type in there.

It also gives a choice to save the command as a launcher.

Any help is appreciated. Can this be set up as an icon on the desktop to launch or at least a known place where/how to start this game?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Sheree.

Hmmm, in regards to the TP3.exe 1 through 199 saga, could you post a screenshot of the 'CrossOver — All Bottles' window?
Use the 'Insert Picture' button and host the picture on Imgur or a cloud service. I'm concerned about all those TP3 copies.

As for the 'Run Command' dialog, use the 'Browse...' button to find the TP3.exe in 'drive_c' of that bottle and click 'Open'.
The 'Command:' will be filled-in with the file path to that exe file, then press 'Save Command as a Launcher'.

If it behaves, an icon should appear in that bottle's apps. Right-click (or control-click) that icon and choose 'Show in Finder'.
This will be a default folder of app launchers for CrossOver (also when a Windows app installer creates a 'Start Menu' icon).

It looks like a small Mac .app, which it is, but is in fact just a CrossOver shortcut to launching the Windows app it points to.
You can drag the icon to add it to the Dock or copy the launcher to the Applications folder for it to appear in the 'Launchpad'.

Hope this helps.

--mike

Just to close this out -

Thank you for all your help.

We gave up on the old Taipei. But maybe that's okay. Horizons can be broadened!

I'm going to be asking a different question in a new thread. Please look for it!

Kindest regards.

1 to 15 of 15

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMkVGWU1OYUZLQ1haZnY2WSIsImdkcHIiOjB9