CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

DDO.com on intel MacBook Pro

Operating System macOS 11 (Big Sur)11.4 (20F71)
CrossOver Version CrossOver Mac 20.0.4
Application Dungeons & Dragons Online
Used the trial to download via Steam & I worked great so I bought it just before the trial ran out. 😊. Later I deleted DDO from CrossOver &b reinstalled without Steam. Now, no matter how I install, DDO gets to the login screen & accepts my info, then quits. Or, tells me my machine is capable of DirectX 10 then quits whether I agree to use it or not. CrossOver & DDO are installing DirectX 9. DirectX 11 is installed as part of my OS. I haven't been able to install DirectX 10 where CrossOver & DDO can find it. So far I've tried default Steam &. direct download default options and installing a Windows 10 bottle & trying to install with Steam & direct download inside it. All exhibit the same behavior.
Maybe there is a file II need to get rid of before reinstalling?

tia

DDO and LOTRO are from the same company. I have never played DDO but I do play LOTRO, using the regular Windows client in Crossover 20 on my 2019 21.5" iMac running Big Sur 11.4. LOTRO is extremely finicky about matching the game output resolution to monitor resolution and is terrible with UHD/"retina" resolutions. The trick that usually works is to set your monitor to the lowest possible non-UHD resolution available (use EasyRes from the Mac App Store if needed, it's free and many people find it the easiest way to change monitor res) before attempting to launch the game for the first time. After you get into the game you can use the game's options panel to change to whatever resolution and screen mode you want; it's just getting there the first time that's tricky.

Another thing to try is to force the game into Full Screen (Windowed) mode, its default is Full Screen. Full Screen (Windowed) forces the game output to match whatever the monitor resolution is regardless of the game's resolution output setting. So this often works when the set-monitor-to-lowest-possible-res trick does not. You can do this by editing the game's .ini file (or files) so that the line
ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed
looks exactly like that. Perform the edit using TextEdit, do so only when the game is not running (it's OK if Crossover is running).

Be sure your bottle is Windows 10 64-bit.

Use either DirectX 9 or DirectX 11, DirectX 10 tends to be a hot mess with LOTRO and I bet it is with DDO, too. Some graphics cards, especially Intel and Apple SOC integrated graphics, don't handle DirectX 11 well so start with DirectX 9 then experiment with DirectX 11 after you can get into the game consistently.

@ John M. Hammer
Thank You!! I haven't had a chance to try this yet but I'm already very grateful.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQTd3RUU2Yks2YnMydmQ0RSIsImdkcHIiOjB9