CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover 22 - Quicken freezes bug

I updated from Crossover 21.2 to 22 a few days ago. Initial reaction to the update is positive to the new UI! Quicken seems slightly faster (though still rather slow). I am using Quicken Version R43.14 Build 27.1.43.14 on a MacBook Pro Max running MacOs Monterey 12.5.1

In the last two days Quicken has 'frozen' after i entered or updated a transaction. The Quicken window stops responding to any clicks are attempts to access the Quicken menu. MacOs Activity monitor shows some CPU usage that tails off after about 10 seconds. The only recovery I have found is to use Activity Monitor to Force Quit Quicken.

When I restart Quicken all transactions appear to have been saved. I do not see any dumps generated.

In the last two days this has occurred 3 times. I know it is a minor item, but would appreciate a fix.

Same exact issue, however I am able to download transactions but Q freezes and needs to be “forced” to be closed

I have the same issue

Hi all,

I'm hoping that a fresh install of Quicken will resolve the problems. We're made a few changes to the CrossTie in recent times to help with memory issues.

Best,
Meredith

Same problem here. Quicken has frozen 4 times today. Each time it requires a hard closing of the process.

To the suggestion on re-installing Quicken for improved CrossTies support...

I built a Windows 10 32-bit bottle and selected the CodeWeavers script for Quicken installation.

It has hung for over 20 minutes at the .Net V4.8 Screen - I would attach the screenshot, but there does not seem to be a way of doing so.

Also pls note the various Wine processes running. 1 Wineserver and 20 wine64-preloader processes.

I would be happy to help debug this, but need help attaching screenshots.

Hi James,

Occasionally a .NET install will hang. Since it's not consistent, we have not had much luck trying to fix it :/ Your best bet is to just try again; it often will work on a second attempt.

Thanks,
Meredith

I just tried canceling the .Net 4.8 installation. It indicated it was rolling back changes, but is hung in the process and not doing anything.

OK... After much experimenting I can now tell everyone why .NET 4.8 hangs in installation. Apparently the installer does not manage all dependencies and .Net 4.8 REQUIRES visual C++ to be INSTALLED BEFORE .NET 4.8 SOMEONE needs to ge the script or whatever changed too save lots of wasted time. Most times the Installation script does NOT complete Visual C++ BEFOE .NET 4.8 tries to install. I hope this helps!

I completed the re-installation (finally) and still experience Quicken freezing.

What are next steps?

I grew tired of Quicken 2020 freezing and having to force quit. So I have downgraded to the prior version and selected a pre-version 22 quicken data file and Quicken is back to running just fine. I will wait until they are able to fix this bug.

I am also having this issue and would appreciate a notice from Codeweavers when it is fixed.

I have the same hang/freeze issue. Dozens of times since the upgrade to version 22. I ran the Quicken Mondo file in my Quicken bottle. This did nothing to improve the multiple "hangs" of Quicken. There needs to be more corrective action taken by Codeweavers. Why are we all left the struggle with the obvious bug?

A fresh install of Quicken into a new bottle is no help. The first attempt hung up. The second attempt took nearly 15 minutes to complete. Even then, Quicken froze after about 10 minutes of use. I had to use Force Quit to get out. Now trying again. This is bad that we all are the beta testers.

Hi folks,

As always, I urge everyone who is having an issue to please open a support ticket. We are actively working on a solution to this problem, and we will be letting people who submit tickets know when we have a fix, and potentially giving them access to a build with a fix before we release it. Forums are not official support, and they are not conducive to communication with affected individuals.

And just a little context: we did not find this issue with our internal testing AND none of our BetterTesters reported the issue while we were in beta for several weeks. If we learned of this issue before release, we absolutely would not have released 22 before finding a fix. Our best guess is that different Quicken files are more likely to run into this bug, which is why our QA and our BetterTesters didn't find it.

Friendly plug that this is why we are so eager to get beta reports from our BetterTesters :)

Best,
Meredith

I too am experiencing this frequent hang with Quicken after updating to the most recent CrossOver (22.0.0).

I really like how sharp Quicken looks now, but the hang makes it challenging to use. 😕

I did put in a request via the Contact Us page - happy to try and help debug what's going on.

I have the same issue. Quicken freezes and I have to Force Quit to close it.

Another person encountering this issue here. I JUST upgraded to Crossover 22, after waiting what I thought would be enough time for early issues to be resolved. Kicking myself for not checking here first to see that people were having issues, which is what I would usually do. Off to open a ticket...

I too am having the same issue. I opened a ticket as requested, but never received any response or update. When will this issue be resolved? This is one of two applications I use that need Crossover! Help!!!

Robert Hlavacek wrote:

I too am having the same issue. I opened a ticket as requested, but never received any response or update. When will this issue be resolved? This is one of two applications I use that need Crossover! Help!!!

Until Codeweavers addresses this issue in Crossover 22, you can install Crossover 21. Just don’t upgrade your OS past Monterey, v21 won’t work in later versions of MacOS.

https://www.codeweavers.com/account/downloads/archive

Robert Hlavacek wrote:

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry you never got a response from our support team; this must have slipped through the cracks. We released a fix for this issue with the 22.0.1 release.

Best,
Meredith

Has this been resolved in CX 22?

Peter Ream wrote:

Has this been resolved in CX 22?

Hi Peter,

This is fixed with CrossOver 22.0.1.

Best,
Meredith

Recently I purchased a new Macbook pro 14 which comes loaded with Ventura OS. I successfully loaded crossover 22 but when I tried to load quicken I received a warning about Net.4 not being able to load due to Windows module loader not being available. I continued to see what would happen and it finished the Net 4 load and asked me to execute the quicken exe file...which also ran, but when finish and Quicken launched all I got was a white screen with menu items "File" and "Edit." I clicked "File" and everything freezes.

Although I have responded to Codeweavers support with requested screen shots I have received no follow up at all on this issue (disappointing).

As I have no intention of downgrading my OS on a brand new Macbook pro...I am starting to think I will either have to change accounting software or put up with the less than stellar Mac version of Quicken.......good grief!

An update on my outstanding ticket would be appreciated.

Stephen Vredenburg wrote:

Recently I purchased a new Macbook pro 14 which comes loaded with Ventura OS. I successfully loaded crossover 22 but when I tried to load quicken I received a warning about Net.4 not being able to load due to Windows module loader not being available. I continued to see what would happen and it finished the Net 4 load and asked me to execute the quicken exe file...which also ran, but when finish and Quicken launched all I got was a white screen with menu items "File" and "Edit." I clicked "File" and everything freezes.

Although I have responded to Codeweavers support with requested screen shots I have received no follow up at all on this issue (disappointing).

As I have no intention of downgrading my OS on a brand new Macbook pro...I am starting to think I will either have to change accounting software or put up with the less than stellar Mac version of Quicken.......good grief!

An update on my outstanding ticket would be appreciated.

Hi there,

The .NET warning message is indeed benign; the loader that isn't available isn't an issue.

I did follow up with our support team about your ticket. We typically try to respond within a day or two, and I'm not sure why that didn't happen for your ticket. This Quicken issue is known to us and we do have a fix planned for the 22.1 release early next year.

Best,
Meredith

Does anyone know when Crossover 22.1 will be released? I have not seen a beta test announcement. Have been unable to use Quicken since early December.....

Just to be certain that this thread is up to date, Crossover 22.0.1 does not fix the Quicken freezes bug. Using either Crossover 22 or 22.0.1 Quicken will load and run about one time out of 10 tries; the rest of the time Quicken freezes before it is loaded. However, by using the older Crossover 21.2 I am able to load and run Quicken perfectly, just as before. Until this problem is fixed (hopefully in 22.1), I will stay with the older version of Crossover.

Michael Meyer wrote:

Just to be certain that this thread is up to date, Crossover 22.0.1 does not fix the Quicken freezes bug. Using either Crossover 22 or 22.0.1 Quicken will load and run about one time out of 10 tries; the rest of the time Quicken freezes before it is loaded. However, by using the older Crossover 21.2 I am able to load and run Quicken perfectly, just as before. Until this problem is fixed (hopefully in 22.1), I will stay with the older version of Crossover.

CrossOver 22.0.1 definitely fixes an issue with Quicken freezes that many users were experiencing. Unfortunately, it's definitely possible that you're running into a different Quicken problem :/

Best,
Meredith

Thanks for your reply. Who am I to argue with an expert. However, I never experienced a Quicken freeze issue until I updated CrossOver to 22, and the problem did not go away, but instead remained exactly the same, when I further updated to 22.0.1. I had to force quit Quicken almost every time. Going back to CrossOver 21.2 made everything work just the way it did before. Quicken version was unchanged. throughout Sure looks like the problem is with Crossover 22 and 22.0.1. Since I am happy with the way things are now I have no intention to reinstall 22.0.1 even though you say it fixes the Quicken freeze problem. I'll wait for 22.1, though I'd be interested to know if any users of 22.0.1 have had the same unhappy experience that I did. If there are such persons, then my entry into the discussion may have helped them by suggesting that a reversion to 21.2 may solve the problem.

Still another problem with Quicken: As I have done for many years, I just purchased the annual renewal of my Quicken subscription, but this time when I attempted to enter the validation code in the ordinary way the process froze just at the point where, all questions having been answered, I tried to enter the final page of the process. It appeared that "wine64preloader" was the sticking point -- its blank page obscured the last page of my submission, but no matter how many times I tried it would not allow that page to be submitted. I fixed the problem with a workaround: I completely uninstalled Quicken and then installed Quicken for Mac from the disc I purchased for purposes of the annual renewal. This time, not at all relying on CrossOver, I was able to enter my validation code and my membership was updated appropriately. Then I deleted the Mac version I had just installed, logged in to my Quicken membership page, downloaded Quicken for Windows, and installed that by means of CrossOver 21.2. (I first attempted to install it using CrossOver 22.0.1, but as before that presented me with the freeze issue that is the subject of this thread. So I went back to 21.2, which seems to work.) After that, when I entered my Quicken username and password, Quicken correctly identified my recent annual renewal. So, all is well -- except that there is obviously something wrong with CrossOver's wine64preloader that made me go through all of this. Perhaps that has something to do with the problem that causes freezing when I attempt to run Quicken via CrossOver 22.0.1. Hopefully all of this can be fixed soon.

Hi Michael,

Have you tried a fresh Quicken install on CrossOver 22.0.1? It's possible a new bottle will fare better.

Best,
Meredith

I did try that to no avail. Freezes still occurred with 22.0.1. And, because I did delete the old Quicken 2020 bottle before every attempt at installing there has always been a new bottle created with each install. In any event, all is well for now after my workaround manner of updating my Quicken subscription as I described and my relying on CrossOver 21.2. Because it is working I am not inclined to do any more re-installations of anything, at least not until another CrossOver fix is available, which hopefully will actually fix the problems that really do exist.

Update: Against my better instinct, I did again update CrossOver to 22.0.1 and reinstalled Quicken. The result is less than ideal, but is livable and is fairly consistent, as follows. Every time I attempt to load Quicken after rebooting my MacBoook Quicken freezes right before the step whereby it should have checked for Quicken updates. I find myself looking at a blank Quicken screen that says "File ... Help" at the top left with an hourglass that never goes away. I then force quit Quicken and attempt to load it a second time. It always loads perfectly the second time. If I then quit Quicken in the normal way and attempt to reload it, it occasionally freezes and but usually loads normally, but it always loads normally right after a freeze and a force quit. I report this in the hope that it might assist your experts in figuring out what is wrong and then fixing it.

Have you made any progress on the Quicken freezes bug on MacBook? After weeks of experiencing this problem with CrossOver 22, 22.01, and 22.1 (multiple force quits and retrys until Quicken finally launches) I again reverted to CrossOver 21.2 about 5 weeks ago, which has worked flawlessly with current versions of Quicken ever since. I'm happy to stay with 21.2, but I still feel Codeweavers should keep trying to identify and fix this problem.

Michael Meyer wrote:

Have you made any progress on the Quicken freezes bug on MacBook? After weeks of experiencing this problem with CrossOver 22, 22.01, and 22.1 (multiple force quits and retrys until Quicken finally launches) I again reverted to CrossOver 21.2 about 5 weeks ago, which has worked flawlessly with current versions of Quicken ever since. I'm happy to stay with 21.2, but I still feel Codeweavers should keep trying to identify and fix this problem.

Hi Michael,

As our support team told you, we cannot reproduce this issue ourselves, so our only hope of making any progress is getting a log from you for one of our developers to look at.

Meredith

Much as I'd like to help you identify the bug, I'm not inclined once again to update CrossOver to a newer version that I know won't work, especially since with CrossOver 21.2 Quicken works so well. You can see from other comments on this thread that I am not alone in experiencing this problem that started with CrossOver 22. I would hope that if your team keeps on trying it will be able to identify and fix whatever is causing this problem. Perhaps someone else can provide the log you seem to need.

Michael Meyer wrote:

Much as I'd like to help you identify the bug, I'm not inclined once again to update CrossOver to a newer version that I know won't work, especially since with CrossOver 21.2 Quicken works so well. You can see from other comments on this thread that I am not alone in experiencing this problem that started with CrossOver 22. I would hope that if your team keeps on trying it will be able to identify and fix whatever is causing this problem. Perhaps someone else can provide the log you seem to need.

Most of the comments on the thread are about an issue that was fixed with CrossOver 22.0.1. We do not have other reports of issues like the ones you have reported to our support team, and without logs, we are unable to do anything to try to investigate. Our devs are fantastic, but they can't produce fixes when they don't have adequate information about what the problem is.

Best,
Meredith

I do want to help your experts fix this problem, so I will update CrossOver to the most recent version and see whether it again causes the "freeze" issue when I attempt to load Quicken. If it does I will forward a log to you. Please tell me what I must do to find or generate the log you need. I am using a MacBook Pro with macOS 11.7.5. Thanks.

Michael Meyer wrote:

I do want to help your experts fix this problem, so I will update CrossOver to the most recent version and see whether it again causes the "freeze" issue when I attempt to load Quicken. If it does I will forward a log to you. Please tell me what I must do to find or generate the log you need. I am using a MacBook Pro with macOS 11.7.5. Thanks.

Hi Michael,

I believe you have an open ticket for this issue, so I would respond there asking our support agents to walk you through what type of log is needed.

Best,
Meredith

1 to 38 of 38

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTE1lYVNnbkh0MldweDVjQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9