CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Library Black Page

Steam auto updated yesterday and ever since then I've had a black screen whenever I try to click on the library page. Every other part of Steam works just fine. It's just when I try to load the library page. I've tried deleting it and reinstalling it several times that does nothing, the Mac version of Steam works perfectly fine on my computer. I have a 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max 32 Core

Update:

Now the sign in page is black too and I can't get in.

HI, I had the same issue. And I solved it!
Go to Steam->Settings->Interface and remove the tick for "Enable smooth scrolling in web views".
Restarted Steam and Library pages are showing! At least for me. ;-)

Interesting. I'm also having the same issue but where the initial login screen would be. Unfortunately that makes it kind of difficult to change that particular setting to see if it'd make a difference (unless it can be done by tweaking some config file somewhere outside of the program).

Exactly the same issue here Nick - was a black screen on the library, and now black on login and can't get in at all.
Opened a support ticket but have had no updates now for nearly 10 days. Quite frustrating.

David and andiyar- If you can find the Steam settings file, you should be able to open it with TextEdit (or your favorite text editor), examine it for the line which sets the variable for "Enable smooth scrolling in web views" and then edit that line to disable that function. Then save the file. After that, when you relaunch Crossover and start Steam, you should have the same experience as Jaxom.

I'm sorry I can't provide more explicit directions for performing this edit but I don't use Steam so I can't develop a step-by-step detailed procedure for you.

Similar issues. Remove smooth scroll and changed version to Beta for Steam and I got it back...for now.

Steam->Steam Settings->Account->Beta Participation: Beta Update

....and it's gone....disregard my previous.

Same here, steam is 100% broken after latest update.

Edit. Weird, after multiple re-installs, it started working...no idea why.

Same issue. Tried a few re-installs - took quite a few attempts as the logon screen was also blank a few times.

Once in, if I go to view->small mode, I can at least view & launch my library items.

That's less than ideal however.

I can't get anything to display under the Library section. Only thing that helped was going into View -> Small mode. Running Steam application from the Cross for Mac application.

Same problem here, CrossOver 22.0.1, MacOS (M1 Pro laptop), Ventura 13.0.1

Changing "Enable smooth scrolling in web views" to off worked once but upon subsequent session in crossover and going into steam I cannot see my Library or my Downloads. Going into Small Mode in steam does work in allowing me to see my games. But not sure I would know when I game has an update available (unless game forces it) without being able to see Downloads within Steam client.

Seeing the black window here as well. I'm running Ventura (13.0.1) on M1 Max (Studio). Just started the CrossOver 14-day trial today to see if this would be a workable solution for Steam games on Mac. So far, nothing. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I have noticed that the black Library screen seems to have something to do with the 'steamwebhelper' program. I have tried quitting the webhelper (leaving Steam running) and twice now, it has reloaded the intial advertisement window, and then the Library and Download pages appear as normal.

This doesn't always work, however. At the moment, it is working correctly, so I am not going to do anything else for the time being.

I have an M2 Air.

Julie Verley wrote:

I have noticed that the black Library screen seems to have something to do with the 'steamwebhelper' program. I have tried quitting the webhelper (leaving Steam running) and twice now, it has reloaded the intial advertisement window, and then the Library and Download pages appear as normal.

This doesn't always work, however. At the moment, it is working correctly, so I am not going to do anything else for the time being.

I have an M2 Air.

When this happens it means the Steam hack wasn’t successful. I’ve seen this occur since it was added to CrossOver.

Unfortunately Steam has a number of bugs that all look similar but all have different causes and not easily reproducible making it much harder for CodeWeavers staff to debug.

Thank you, it worked for me.

I’m seeing this as well. If I switch from regular to big picture, I can eventually get to my library, but there are a bunch of fonts missing or something because all text is missing. There are buttons with no text whatsoever. This makes it really hard to navigate the app.

I'm also experiencing this on my Macbook Pro 16" M1 Pro with 16GB RAM.

Tried alternating between windows 7/10 for the bottle, as well as deleting config files inside steam. That got it back to default and eventually was able to start a couple of games, now back to black again.

So weird. Does seem to have something to do with the hardware-accelerated settings, but it's only a temporary fix - it bugs out again pretty quickly.

Just turning off smooth scrolling didn't work for me. I had to go to Steam Settings > Interface and turn OFF all of these options:

X Enable smooth scrolling
X Enable GPU accelerated rendering
X Enable hardware video decoding
X Enable Direct Write for improved font smoothing

I'm not 100% sure that it's necessary to turn all of these options off, but doing so got "Large mode" working for my library, as well as the Downloads and Properties tabs/windows.

I have some workarounds for people to try

1. For the login screen that appears frozen, close steam, right click the steam icon and launch with the option "-tcp". That always works for me
  2. Black library, for that I just pick the "small mode" option from the menus. I don't like it but it works. I tried disabling some options and have not gotten it to display properly since upgrading to Ventura.

Nicolas Pare wrote:

I have some workarounds for people to try

1. For the login screen that appears frozen, close steam, right click the steam icon and launch with the option "-tcp". That always works for me
  2. Black library, for that I just pick the "small mode" option from the menus. I don't like it but it works. I tried disabling some options and have not gotten it to display properly since upgrading to Ventura.

Adding more workarounds. #1 did not work for me, but I found that running with "-noreactlogin" option instead did the trick. Once I was able to login, #2 worked for me and I am able to install & launch games.

I'm not too fussed about running the normal steam interface, as I can do that via the native Mac version if I need to, I simply want to install games when using it via CrossOver.

Hi folks,

Our internal tests show that the black library bug may be partially resolved with the latest Steam client update. There might be multiple bugs, but we'd appreciate hearing from folks if they're seeing improvement after updating their Steam client.

Best,
Meredith

I'm on the latest versions of Crossover and Steam and it is still black for me. I just found this thread, so I will try some of the workarounds after work today.

Peter D. Quilty wrote:

I'm on the latest versions of Crossover and Steam and it is still black for me. I just found this thread, so I will try some of the workarounds after work today.

CrossOver-22.1.0 was just released, you’ll want to update to this version where it was working when I’d tested it.

Wow, that did it. Everything seems to be working again. It could just be my imagination, but it also seems a tiny bit faster.

1 to 25 of 25

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicE14d1ozZWJSSk5mNWhXZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9