CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Trying to install 2 related unlisted applications

Hi, came across CrossOver to run two related windows programs, zTree and zLeaf.

Tried to install both as unlisted applications, in two separate bottles. Once I run the installer both programs open, but then I have to quit the programs for the installation in CrossOver to finish. Once done, the programs are not located in both bottles.

What am I doing wrong here?

Start over: Delete those two bottles. Create a new bottle and install those two applications into the same bottle. While it is usually best to install each Windows application into its own bottle, when dealing with applications which need to interact with each other or which are going to share data; they should be installed into the same bottle.

On the webpage for those applications, it specifically states:
"To run z-Tree on a Mac, you need a virtual machine like VirtualBox, VMware or Parallels. On Linux you may use wine."
There might be something needed by those applications which simply isn't present in Crossover for Mac. For example, DIrectX 12 will work in Crossover for Linux but not Crossover for Mac. Keep that in mind if you continue to have trouble getting them to run in Crossover for Mac.

Thanks John. I got zTree to work this way, zLeaf fails to connect to zTree when I run the command within the integrated bottle—shoots message that it failed to create a socket. I suspect zLeaf needs a bunch of the files in its original folder to run in the bottle. zTree and zLeaf come with a bunch of .txt, .gsf and .eec beside the two .exe files. So my next question is, could I perhaps copy those files from the original program folder into the bottle folder structure to get the programs to work? What folder would I paste them in?

I know people who run zTree and zLeaf on their mac using Wine, so I tried to set it up through winefollowing these instructions. However, needed +40GB on my harddrive to run xCode—which I don't have. Then I was directed to Crossover, so here I am ;-)

I don’t know these applications at all. So everything I’m about to suggest is just a shot in the dark.

I assume that both applications and their associated files dearchived into folders rather than scattering themselves all over your Downloads or Desktop. Unless the instructions for those applications tell you that some component or other needs to be in a specific place, they’re probably in the right place already after dearchiving.

So try using Run Command to launch the application from wherever the executable is sitting, rather than from what’s installed in your bottle using the launcher icon in the main Crossover window.

If you want to try using open-source WINE you probably don’t need Xcode. Installing WINE using Homebrew from the Terminal will install the command line tools set if you don’t already have it. Then you can run those two applications by just double-clicking the executable files, or you can run them from the Terminal with a simple “wine X” where X is the file path to the application you are trying to run – just type “wine “ then drag the executable into the Terminal window to autopopulate the value of X.

But the page that hosts those applications states that they need a full virtual Windows environment to run on a Mac, WINE (and remember that Crossover is a version of WINE) will not do. Wine Is Not an Emulator. So it might just not work in Crossover or any other version of WINE for Mac.

Yes! It worked by running the .exe of both programs, and both programs were able to communicate. So that solves it then. Thanks John, your shot in the dark proved to be very helpful. Much appreciated!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWE1MUG5ubUx2RWFxWVRWYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9