CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Installs

Hello,

I have a basic question... Do you all only install or create a bottle for Steam once? then install all the windows games for Steam in that bottle? Or do you create a separate steam bottle for each steam game?

Thanks and sorry if silly question.

It's a good question actually and it really depends. In theory you should be good with one Steam bottle but in practice, some games may install runtimes that could affect other games in the same bottle. I usually do separate bottles, others put everything in one bottle. The safest way to make sure nothing else interferes with your application is to use separate bottles.

I'm with Silviu, so either solutions, depending on preferences.

There's also a third option where you can have multiple steam installs, to preserve bottle isolation, but you symlink all your "steamapps" to one central location, as mentioned by Caron Wills, in another thread. It has some advantages for testing, but I'm not convinced it is useful for daily use.

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

It's a good question actually and it really depends. In theory you
should be good with one Steam bottle but in practice, some games may
install runtimes that could affect other games in the same bottle. I
usually do separate bottles, others put everything in one bottle.
The safest way to make sure nothing else interferes with your
application is to use separate bottles.

Ok thanks for your input! I will go with the separate bottles option. It sounds like it will only help in the long run if any problems develop with a single game.

J-P Simard wrote:

I'm with Silviu, so either solutions, depending on preferences.

There's also a third option where you can have multiple steam
installs, to preserve bottle isolation, but you symlink all your
"steamapps" to one central location, as mentioned by Caron Wills,
[link=http://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/advocate/?t=34;mhl=163376#msg163376]in
another thread.[/link] It has some advantages for testing, but I'm
not convinced it is useful for daily use.

Thank you for your answer and for the informative link. I will check it out!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSktkS1JzblplenVmUGhTRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9