CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Won't Launch. Dear God, Codeweavers. Tell me you are kidding.

Thinking this might be simple, I first tried saving it to my desktop and then opening it with Winzip. Silly me.

Then I followed the online instructions which was unbelievably and obnoxiously more complicated than necessary because apparently they (whomever "they" are) thought it would be fun to hide Mac's 'Archive Utility.' Finally found it.

When [my] download [was] complete [I] f[ou]nd a file called Crossover-(some version #).zip in [my] Downloads folder. I Double-click[ed] the .zip file to extract it. And then this happened. See attached screenshot.

See how I'm following their directions so carefully?

It won't launch. There's no launching. So I went back to website, paid $20 more (already, in a haze of stupidity, went ahead and paid the $60 for the software instead of using the trial), got number to place in Minnesota. Listened to British woman tell me that my answers can be found online, left angry message. Called back, cursed at British woman, left additional angry message.

Anyone else having trouble getting the bleeping thing to launch in the first place? image

I still can't understand how you managed to get all those zip files on your desktop. I just downloaded the zip file myself and there's a folder in there called CrossOver.app You're supposed to extract that to a folder, then double click that and Mac OS X runs it.

This is the tutorial page:
Install Crossover on your Mac

Those are from multiple attempts to unzip/archive/unleash the fury. I have saved the download to my desktop, downloaded it to the downloads folder, used archive to 'open' it which then produces a zip folder on my desktop. All of these efforts and up with a zip file that, when double clicked, produces any number of files with extensions such as .md5, .cpgz, and a couple of blank white JPEGs. No program, no launcher.

So you say that just telling the archive manager to open (not extract) the zip, "explodes" it on the desktop like that?

No, the exploding happens after I double click on each respective downloaded file.

Ugh... locate the file you downloaded from the site, right click on it and choose to extract or "expand" it. If it asks for a location choose any folder (but remember which one), then you should find CrossOver in there. I don't think it will be called "CrossOver.app" anymore (just CrossOver I think)... but it should show an icon. You just double-click that then and it will ask you if you wanted moved to the app folder.

loannabeek wrote:

Thinking this might be simple, I first tried saving it to my desktop
and then opening it with Winzip. Silly me.

Then I followed the online instructions which was unbelievably and
obnoxiously more complicated than necessary because apparently they
(whomever "they" are) thought it would be fun to hide Mac's 'Archive
Utility.' Finally found it.

To verify: you are sure you are opening with the regular OS X Archive utility now? We have seen problems where other unzip utilities fail to decompress CrossOver correctly (although I have never seen the particular symptom you describe). (Also, I just tried WinZip on my machine here and it worked OK, so I'm not sure what is preventing the .zip file from expanding properly).

So I went back to website, paid $20 more (already, in a haze of
stupidity, went ahead and paid the $60 for the software instead of
using the trial), got number to place in Minnesota.

I can't tell exactly what happened from your screenshots, but it does look to me like you followed essentially the right steps and that CrossOver's .zip installer just failed to expand into a runnable app correctly. This doesn't usually happen. For what it is worth, it looks like you bought a 12-month license for CrossOver just yesterday and immediately needed to call into tech support for help with the installation problem. That sort of call should be covered by your initial purchase (one phone support incident is included with a 12-month license: certainly we mean to provide help getting the app installed).

If you have called phone support already then there should probably be an open support incident in our queue if you left a callback number. If not, I will forward this forum post to our ticket system so that a support ticket is open and we can try to figure out what the problem is getting CrossOver installed.

WinZip is set to be the default unzip application on your Mac right now and it's not unarchiving Crossover correctly.

Delete all those files and download a new copy of Crossover Mac from

http://media.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/cxmac/demo/crossover-13.2.0.zip

Then right-click (control-click) on the new .zip file and pick Open With>Archive Utility and the Mac OS will unzip the file correctly.

You'll then be at Step #2 of our install guide https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/install and can continue from there. You'll find all our tutorials on how to use Crossover Mac at https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial as well.

It seems that you should add to the instructions that the zip archive should be opened with the Apple unarchive utility. Those who would CrossOver are also the type likely to be using third-party rar/zip utilities. I wasted considerable time before I figured out the problem.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZU5Wa25obmc3YWhSTFlHRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9