CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Support for Quake Live on Steam?

Quake Live has been released on Steam. Is there a way to get the Steam version of Quake Live working on CrossOver?

Currently, the standalone version of Quake Live works with CrossOver, but I don't know if id Software is going to continue to support the standalone version, so Steam support would be nice.

Have you tried to install Steam in a fresh bottle and then just install the game? It seem to be working for me rather well. I could browse games being played and spectate them, I could create a training session. There is one option where the browser just sits on loading but I don't know if it's important or not (I'd like some feedback on that).

Anyway, I added the option to install through Steam to the crosstie, it will probably be live next week after ninjas look at it and approve it.

Hmm, I'm not having luck. Quake Live wine loader launches, goes to a all-white fullscreen, and then crashes. Is there a way to tell CrossOver not to launch Quake Live at full-screen or is that a Quake Live issue?

Looks like it might not be a CrossOver issue, but a Steam/Quake Live issue. I found this thread (http://steamcommunity.com/app/282440/discussions/0/613936673415129941/#p1). Unfortunately, verifying the game cache doesn't fix the problem; the game still crashes on launch for me. Maybe I'll try re-installing Steam.

I actually found multiple Steam Community threads about this problem with most people not having luck fixing it. The following thread has an interesting fix but I don't know how to apply it to a CrossOver bottle.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/282440/discussions/0/613936673353974400/

[SOLVED] Can't start the game? GET IN HERE!
Allright people, I see a lot of you have trouble running quake live, I've noticed this a month ago before the steam launch, when I formated my C: drive and copied quake to my D: drive.

Straight to the point.

How to solve this? Install Quake Live in your C: drive (main partition)!

1) Say you have installed it in D:/SteamLibrary/common/Quake live
Copy the whole "Quake LIVE" folder

2) Paste it to C:/Steam/SteamApps/common/
(you may have to create the common folder)

3) Open steam library, delete local content, redownload again and set download path to C:/Steam
Steam will discover the local content and won't download nothing

4) Go to Quake LIVE on your steam library and open it.

Have fun mates!

Vic T wrote:

Install Quake Live in your C: drive

Techinically, you should have installed to you C: drive anyway, hence the default "drive_c" folder in any bottle. If that is the solution, it won't help you.

I've given up for now. I deleted the Steam bottle, reinstalled it, but Steam doesn't seem to like CrossOver. I can't even find Quake Live on the Steam Store because nothing displays. Pages load partly or not at all. If I search for Quake Live, the search window doesn't load or doesn't show any results. And most of the time, Steam doesn't even register mouse clicks.

I'll stick to playing Quake Live via CrossOver using the standalone player.

I gave it one more shot and attempted to apply the fix as outline here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/282440/discussions/0/613936673388029413/

Unfortunately, I can't open Properties on the file with CrossOver. Does anyone know if it is possible to modify the properties of a file in a CrossOver bottle? I need to run the Quake app as an admin and in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode.

Does WineDebug show up telling you the SteamWebhelper.exe met a serious problem and needs to quit?

If so; you can try clicking close on that message, keep doing that each time the message appears. Each time it closes it will load Steam a wee bit, so you may end up with a Steam screen that does register the clicks. Try restarting CrossOver if that doesn't work and repeat those steps. It's silly but it worked for me.
Secondly, you may try installing Steam into a Wrapper you created with Wineskin Winery, downloaded from WineHQ (https://www.winehq.org/). DO use the latest version. Sometimes that may fix the problem but again: no guarantees.

Steam changes overtime since it is updated constantly...

I'm having problems opening the properties window too. I'm two clicks away from fixing it according to the French link above.
are there any success stories out there?

how do you use wine debug? i don't know jack and jack left town.

1 to 10 of 10

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVjNyQ2hoVWJ2UGFGQ2JyRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9