CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Accessing USB Port from within bottle

The discussion of usb ports in other threads appears to be focussed entirely on usb-serial connection issues. I want to be able to access a GPS device connected to a usb port from Memory-Map. The GPS is not a serial device. I don't know therefore whether the suggested shell commands are appropriate.
I'm running Crossover 14.0 on Yosemite. Can anyone help?

That's USB or serial, not USB to serial. In other words, wheter we are talking about a serial or a usb device, the problem remains the same.

USB printers, scanners, and external drives work because they are in fact managed by your OS, and Crossover just acts as a bridge to those peripherals. When it come to other devices, like a ODBII scanner, or GPS and similar devices, the OS doesn't handle them, usually due to lack of support. Further, Crossover and Wine are for running windows software, and interacting with hardware is mostly out of scope.

In turn, some devices can work with Crossover/Wine with the commands you have found, but in my experience, those are rare situations. The original tutorial is here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/faq/usbtoserial (don't let the page link fool you, it is usb or serial)

Honestly, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Your best bet is with a virtual machine with either Virtualbox or Paralleles, or in your case, bootcamp.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNjJ6Q2tlY1NQQW5OQVRXVCIsImdkcHIiOjB9