CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Help needed to install chemical analysis software on mac M1 big sur

Hi,

I use a chemical analysis software called AMDIS https://chemdata.nist.gov/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=chemdata:amdis
Until now I have run this on macOS Sierra using wine. I recently upgraded to a new m1 macbook pro running big sur. I am trying to install this software using a trial version of crossover and keep getting the same error when it is installing
"Error Number: 0x80040707
Description: DLL function call crashed
ISRT._IsVirtualMachine
Setup will now terminate"

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Many thanks,
Kathy

There’s currently no way around this, the software has builtin protection from being ran within a VM and wine is being detected as a VM.

This would require a patch set from wine-staging to hide wine from being detected as a VM.

Thanks for the reply Dean.
Do you know why this might have changed since I have used this software with wine previously?
Would the patch need to be made specifically for this program?

Thanks,
Kathy

I think the issue is that 32-bit programs run within a 64-bit process on macOS Catalina and Big Sur (since those versions no longer support 32-bit programs). Perhaps that is what is being detected as the “virtual machine.” You might check to see if there is a 64-bit version of the software.

Kathy Darragh wrote:

Hi,

I use a chemical analysis software called AMDIS
https://chemdata.nist.gov/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=chemdata:amdis
Until now I have run this on macOS Sierra using wine. I recently
upgraded to a new m1 macbook pro running big sur. I am trying to
install this software using a trial version of crossover and keep
getting the same error when it is installing
"Error Number: 0x80040707
Description: DLL function call crashed
ISRT._IsVirtualMachine
Setup will now terminate"

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Many thanks,
Kathy

Kathy,

I was able to install AMDIS on an M1 MacBook Air in Big Sur (11.2) by creating a Windows 7 (32-bit) bottle, and then installing the AMDIS installer as an "unknown" application. It installed and starts up, but since I don't know anything about chemical analysis or how to use AMDIS can't say whether it will run properly.

You might also try using a Windows 10 (32-bit) (not 64-bit) bottle.

Also, make sure you have installed all the latest updates to Big Sur, since Apple has been fixing issues with Rosetta 2 with each release.

Hi Alan,

Thank you so much, I just got the macbook yesterday and assumed I was up to date! Just updated to 11.2 and at least so far everything is working smoothly.

Many thanks,
Kathy

That’s an interesting find Alan, I’ll chalk that up for the memory overlaps that happen within wine32on64 and wine64.

This same issue is what use to cause the Steam Library/Friends/Store to not function so CodeWeavers requested Valve to add an option to force the 32Bit CEF browser.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS3lzaEdHa1dXeHJja0FIZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9