CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How do I uninstall Crossover and related programs?

I want to uninstall Crossover, steam, etc. Can't figure out who to do it. Running on a Mac, OS X 10.9.4

Take a look at the tutorials on this page:

CrossOver Mac tutorials

Thanks. That got rid of CrossOver but I still have an icon for Steam in Launchpad. I tried dragging it to the Trash but it won't let me.

Go into your home folder, and then applications and delete the folder titled "CrossOver". Then it should disappear.

Thank you. Thought I had already done that but did a search and found another "CrossOver" folder. Once that was deleted, Steam disappeared.

OK, I thought everything was uninstalled but when I launch my RootsMagic program it still seems to think I am running Crossover. It is defaulting to C:\users\crossover\My Documents etc and when I look at "About RootsMagic", it says "This product, in addition to including components developed and owned by CodeWeavers, also includes Free or Open Source Software from a number of sources, including:..."

Any advice or should I contact RootsMagic support? RootsMagic is a genealogy software program.

Deborah Brunt wrote:

OK, I thought everything was uninstalled but when I launch my
RootsMagic program it still seems to think I am running Crossover.
It is defaulting to C:\users\crossover\My Documents etc and when I
look at "About RootsMagic", it says "This product, in addition to
including components developed and owned by CodeWeavers, also
includes Free or Open Source Software from a number of sources,
including:..."

Any advice or should I contact RootsMagic support? RootsMagic is a
genealogy software program.

It sounds like at one point you had our retail product, CrossOver, installed, and that you have deleted that. When you talk about RootsMagic, are you talking about a version of RootsMagic made specifically for Mac OS X which you downloaded from the makers of RootsMagic? Or are you (or have you in the past) running a version of RootsMagic for Windows by using CrossOver?

I was using Crossover to run RootsMagic. They (RM) recently released a product that allows me to run RM on the Mac without Crossover so I switched to that product.

Deborah Brunt wrote:

I was using Crossover to run RootsMagic. They (RM) recently released
a product that allows me to run RM on the Mac without Crossover so I
switched to that product.

Yes, I thought that might be the case.

We were involved in helping RootsMagic create the Mac OS X version of their software, using much of the same technology that we use to build our retail CrossOver product. The references to CodeWeavers in the 'About' window of RootsMagic are because of that, as is the fact that you may see 'users/crossover' in file open and close dialog boxes when you are working with files inside RootsMagic. If you see those things from inside the Mac OS X version of RootsMagic they do not indicate that CrossOver is still on your computer.

However, if you used to use CrossOver to run the Windows version of RootMagic, it might be hard for you to tell that you have deleted it: it is a reasonable point of confusion. That is because CrossOver strives to integrate the Windows applications which you install as best it can with your native operating system: that is, CrossOver tries to make RootsMagic look like a regular Mac OS X application as much as possible.

It sounds to me like you have probably been successful in removing CrossOver from your computer, and that what you are seeing is just the evidence I mentioned above that some of the same technology is used in the Mac OS X version of RootMagic. If you followed the instructions above and your Steam icon, etc., are gone, I think you have uninstalled CrossOver. If something does persist and you still do think you need help uninstalling, you can always file a support ticket with us.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

1 to 10 of 10

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSmNmZ3VDVkI4TXl6TEtycSIsImdkcHIiOjB9