CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Quicken 2016 crashes after r14 update

Recent Quicken 2016 update to R14 crashes. After installing the update I am presented with a window to get started with making a new password. When clicking on the get started button, Quicken crashes. Have to do a forced quit. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling quicken and the update with the same results. Restated several times with same result. Quicken 2016 is now useless because I can't get past this screen.

Anyone experiance this and come up with a fix?

Same result. The splash screen/password screen referred to is Quicken's request for a new password as it completes the separation from Intuit. BTW, the update was automatic; i.e., no option to open without doing the update.

Same problem. Temporary work around I used was to use backup of application files and block the R14 update before it "corrupted" the application. I blocked the update by disabling the update helper app (runs automatically everytime you start Quicken) that looks for and implements updates. This got me back into my data. But this work around may stop working on or about Sept 30 as I think that is when Quicken may require the current update for financial transmission.

Experienced same problem with Quicken 2016. I decided to install Quicken 2017 which I had put off at the beginning of the year after reading that no one was having a good experience with it. The installation seemed to go ok but then I got the R15 update for it which similarly is about the transition out of Intuit. Same issue of it locking up when I try to initiate setting up the new ID and PW they're requiring.

Same problem with Quicken 2016 on Crossover/Linux.

Exact same issue here.

This is the file that you need to disable: quickenPatch.exe. I recommend not deleting it as you may want it to function later on when Quicken fixes this mess.
The file is located on the CrossOver C-drive where all the Quicken application files reside. Change it to something like: quickenPatch.-disabled-exe.
But first reinstall Quicken, locate the file and disable it, and then try running the program. The program should run without any attempt to check or install updates.
This method worked for me on several computers after the annoying update/crash problem started earlier this week. Hope this helps !!

I have Quicken Premier 2017 and spent weeks trying to get it to run after Quicken pushed R10, finally after CodeWeavers sent a link to CrossOver 17.0b3 and installing, reinstalling multiple times over the next week, I got Quicken to run. I have not run any more updates since that time.

I start "one step" and hit the cancel button before it can connect to the Quicken Service, but allow the program to connect to Fidelity and Vanguard. I do manual updates and imports from banks and credit unions. Not ideal, but it is working. Reading the Quicken support site makes me wonder if they'll stay in business. It took them quite a while to acknowledge the problem and none of their fixes worked for most people.

Just an observation. CodeWavers also took a while to acknowledge/respond to the issue. And it took a number of exchanges to get the link to their patch to work. At this point I'm going to try keeping any updates from happening from either co.

On the Quicken end many "support" folks are clueless and the "help forum" would and has deleted comments such as this.

Neither co. seemed to understand the gravity of the issue for their user. Several posts I saw were from folks who lost the ability to complete financial transactions and or total loss of data access just before taxes were due! One business owner said they were owing back to paper ledgers.

So is this going to get resolved between Codeweavers and the Quicken folks anytime soon? If not I will be forced to abandon CrossOver and use Win 10 on VMware, which will be a bummer. I've got maybe one more day before my wife totally freaks out, since she has been using Quicken for years to pay our bills. When we procured the iMac to replace the Dell Windows machine years ago, I went with CrossOver and it really has been basically seamless. I would like to stay with it if possible. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks.

Does anybody know the whether this update crash problem is also true for Windows users of Quicken, or is this problem primarily a CrossOver incompatibility issue?

Check this forum:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/cannot-perform-one-step-update-after-updating-to-r10-for-quicken-deluxe-2017?reply%5Bid%5D=18977759#reply_18977759

Look around at all the issues. Quicken has caused havoc with their products and the problems seemed to have accelerated since it got sold off.

Had the same problem with Quicken 2017 hanging on the "click to create Quicken ID" after the last Quicken update. I contacted Codeweavers Crossover support and received a prompt reply with a link to CrossOver 17beta3 build with instructions on how to install. I downloaded the build, installed according to instructions and everything works fine. I was able to create my Quicken ID and can now run Quicken again. Very easy process.

Has anyone tried the 17beta3 build from CrossOver for the new update/hang problem with Quicken 2016 ? Curious to know whether it also solves the problem for Quicken 2016 (as it reportedly works for Quicken 2017)?

Just adding another voice to request a quick fix! Same issue here, and a few days away from migrating back to a VM for Quicken. The only product I use CrossOver for.

Does the Quicken update/crash issue effect Windows users? Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks Gail! I contacted support quoting your solution. They gave me the link and it fixed the issue. I did have to reinstall Q 2017 and the R15 update to it after installing the Crossover 17beta3 in order for it to work.

Craig Paulshock wrote:

Has anyone tried the 17beta3 build from CrossOver for the new
update/hang problem with Quicken 2016 ? Curious to know
whether it also solves the problem for Quicken 2016 (as it
reportedly works for Quicken 2017)?

I just tried it, doesn't seem to work. Constantly fails to register.

Ted wrote:

Craig Paulshock wrote:

Has anyone tried the 17beta3 build from CrossOver for
the new update/hang problem with Quicken 2016 ? Curious to
know whether it also solves the problem for Quicken 2016 (as it
reportedly works for Quicken 2017)?

I just tried it, doesn't seem to work. Constantly fails to register.

OK, got it working. My latest version of Quicken_Deluxe_2016.exe is R11 and it won't update. Had to download the 2016 mondo patch...

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Double click, select bottle, select unlisted application.

This worked for me on 2016.

This issue does not affect the Quicken 2016 Windows version when running on a true windows machine. I was able to update and establish a Quicken ID on my Dell Laptop. Once this was all cone and working I then transferred the QDATA file back to my MacBook Air and was able to open the file. However, the issue appears to be that Quicken cannot communicate/access your Quicken ID profile. I get the following error message "We could not retrieve your Quicken profile information". This message shows up if you go the Edit>Preferences and in the pop-up window click on Quicken ID, Mobile & A....

Finally got this to work. Started with a Windows 10 VM to verify that the “mondo” patch would work under Windows which it did. Set up a new Quicken ID. Back in Crossover had to start from scratch by installing Quicken 2016 and then the mondo patch on top of that. Even after that getting past the “New ID” screen was problematic. Now seems be running fine under Crossover, however.

Philip McPherson wrote:

Finally got this to work. Started with a Windows 10 VM to verify
that the “mondo” patch would work under Windows which it did.
Set up a new Quicken ID. Back in Crossover had to start from scratch
by installing Quicken 2016 and then the mondo patch on top of that.
Even after that getting past the “New ID” screen was
problematic. Now seems be running fine under Crossover, however.

What version of CrossOver are you using. I have 10.1.1. Quicken 2016 has been running fine and the occasional software updates were happening directly from the program with no effort on my part. That is until this past week when the automatic update prevented me and many other users from getting past the "New ID" screen.

I reinstalled Quicken 2o16 and temporarily blocked updates. It runs fine. I would like to install the mondo patch manually to see it that will work like it did for you. Unfortunately I am not able to install the mondo patch directly into the Quicken 2016 bottle. I tried downloading the patch and double clicked on the file. The CrossOver install window opened, and I selected to install the file into my Quicken 2016 bottle, but the process hung. Any suggestions?
Thanks you.

I just had a Quicken 2016 update and when I get the message to create an Inuit Password and hit the blue 'Get Started' box, Quicken suddenly terminates.
Can anyone recommend a work around to get Quicken back up and running?

Mac Crossover Ver 16.2.5
Thanks!

Yes, the Quicken 2016 update for R14 applied today and I cannot get past the "Get Started" new screen. Quicken is dead. I tried reinstalling, mondo patch, etc. Cannot bypass this new registration screen. Quicken 2016 just terminated after hitting Get Started. Need a fix or the CrossOver beta the thread talks about needs to be publicly setup for use. Quicken DOES NOT RUN at all!

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

We have been having substantial problems with Quicken lately, but I believe that with a ticket to our support that both 2016 and 2017 can be made to work now. The fixes require a download of our yet-to-be-released CrossOver 17 beta build, as well as additional actions which our support staff can help with. I forwarded the above post to our ticket system so that it will enter our official ticket system for a response.

If anyone else continues to have problems with Quicken, please enter a support ticket and I believe we can get you up and running.

Thank you

I have the same problem and just filed a ticket with Codeweavers for a fix.

As a temporary measure, I reinstalled Quicken 2016, renamed the quickenupdate.exe file per Craig's suggestion and have gained access to my personal file.

I use a second Quicken file for a small non-profit of which I recently became Treasurer. For some reason, that file has always required me to enter the Intuit ID every time I open it, but now the pop-up screen asking for the ID is blank--no dialog boxes appear. Without login information, I cannot access the data in that file--a matter of some urgency because I need to prepare for a board meeting next Tuesday.

Neil

I just installed the Crossover 17 beta, reinstalled Quicken 2016 and R16 Monda Patch to "address" this problem. I got past the registration screens and the goofy new Quicken "checklist" screen. I got into my Quicken 2016 data file and was able to update transactions. The fonts in this beta/Quicken installation are totally hosed up. For example, things don't fit in the screens, there are no link boxes for register items like "Update Transactions" or "Accept All"; probably because of the font problems. These link boxes simply don't show. When I did an update, a qw.quicken.com server user and password challenge box appeared. Nothing worked to reply to it. I canceled the challenge and the update proceeded.

Also, the Quicken 2016 R14/Crossover 17 beta release combo is VERY VERY VERY slow compared to yesterday.

I will be updating my support ticket with this information. If you are reading this, it's probably too late for you unless you take the approach of defining your new Quicken ID outside Crossover and copying the data file back into the Mac environment.

Crossover has been great for Quicken and a Mac. This is the most serious issue I've faced in 7 years of use. The release does not appear to be stable and I need to take extra precautions to protect my data its at risk.

I may have temporarily gotten around the font issue where the tabs and some link boxes do not show. There was an old Quicken/Crossover post about dragging the screen smaller; then holding the Option key down while left-clicking on the maximize screen space green dot in the top left of the screen (i.e., Red/Close Screen, Yellow/Minimize Screen, Green/Maximize screen). This old recommendation seems to have helped. For me though, the fonts are still odd and mis-formatted for the screen space and there are small color boxes in places that were not there before.

I entered a ticket and got a response back from CodeWeaver's support team that has my Quicken 2016 back up and running.

I downloaded 17beta3 version of CrossOver,
Then installed a new copy of Quicken 2016,
Then installed the Quicken 2016 Mondo patch.

When I ran Quicken, I was able to get thru the Quicken ID screen, perform downloads from my banks and financial institutions.

Hope others have success as this was a very unsettling issue to deal with.

Codeweavers' support has definitely resolved the issues from the R14 Quicken 2016 release. All is running well today and mostly all of font problems were mostly resolved by re-sizing the window. I have not seen again the quicken.com server logon screen either. Thank you for the V17 beta. Quicken was indeed not operational for me and I had no other WINDOWS or VM places to go to work around the new Quicken.com login harangue.

I also am back to normal after installing CrossOver17beta, reinstalling Quicken 2016 and the R14 mondo update. Very pleased this nightmare appears to be over.
After several rounds of Quicken authentication, which required entering my email, name and address and Quicken ID, I was able to open Quicken 2016. There were a few default settings that I had to change back to get the font size the way I like it, and to turn sound back on, etc. Saved reports and downloads are normal. The only thing different from before is that a few red color highlights showed up along a dozen or so bank transactions. When I clicked on the transaction the Payment Status window popped up, and after I exited out the color highlight disappeared. All seems okay. Time will tell......

Downloaded Quicken2017R10/crossover-17.0.0beta3.zip, got link and password from Support.
opened Finder to start from, clicked link to Quicken2017R10 that updated the file to the Crossover program.
then did a normal install of Quicken 2017.
I did not let Quicken update at all.
installed Mondo patch
Started Quicken from Crossover screen, then let it update program. I am now on Version 15 running good so far.
No Rundll32 notices and I don't flinch when Quicken wants to update.

I had the same dreaded rundll32.exe error after Quicken was requiring me to create the new Quicken ID. It totally shut me down for several days. I finally opened a support ticket with Codeweavers. After downloading the Crossover V17 beta, I had a couple unsuccessful attempts to reinstall my Quicken2015 in a new bottle. I finally did a screen share session with Codeweavers tech support & they had me up & running in a couple minutes. Great support from Codeweavers.
As a Quicken user since the 90's, I am very seriously looking at trying one of the several alternatives. Terrible what they've done to the program.

Sorry to report that Quicken 2016 failed to open after around 5 good days following the 17beta release, reinstall and mondo patch. Got a Quicken application error. I think this was caused by another small update by Quicken, or a corruption in my Quicken application stored in the "c drive" that CrossOver creates. I used a TimeMachine backup of c-drive to replace the Quicken files (includes the actual Quicken exe files) and disabled the quickenPatch.exe file (the file that Quicken uses to check and install updates). I previously wrote about this file. After that, I am back and running fine.
I don't want Quicken to freely update the program. There is a chance any update will be incompatible with CrossOver, so unless an update is essential for Quicken to work, then why risk it?

Craig, Thank you for your post. Now, I know I am not alone with this issue. Yesterday, quicken started failing with an application error message. I will attempt to restore from a time machine backup and disable the quickenupdate executable however, I do not know how to find the c:drive where the quicken programs are stored. Can you let me know where to find it? Thanks.

Hi. Craig here with a request to explain where the "c drive" is located on your Mac. It is a tad hard to locate through Finder. You have to enter the Library folder of your user folder. To do this start in a Finder window, click on the Go tab in the top menu bar, and then hold down the Option key, and then you see that an entry "Library" will appear in the drop down menu. Mouse to that and open this Library folder. Navigate to Application Support, CrossOver, Bottles, Quicken, drive_c, Program Files, and finally to the Quicken folder. Inside this last folder you will find all the actual Quicken "Windows" program files, including the quickenPatch.exe file (this is the file that needs to be renamed/disabled/deleted to prevent automatic updates). The other way to get to the c drive is to open CrossOver, and right click on the Quicken bottle you are using. Select Open C: Drive. This will open the c drive directly, but the first method shows you how to get to it without using CrossOver to get you there. Hope this helps.

I had the same issue as Craig and filed a ticket October 6 and spoke with a Crossover rep. Crossover is aware of the new Quicken 2016 problems and is working on a fix.

Craig, Thanks for the instructions to find the Quicken programs. Unfortunately, I could do use your full solution because I did not have a time machine backup available with a clean copy of Quicken 2016 (without the bad update).
Russell, Thanks for reporting and logging the issue with CodeWeavers. I am anxiously awaiting their fix as I cannot us Quicken until then.

Hi Ramon. If you don't have a TimeMachine backup, you can still recover! Just takes a little more effort. First, you will need to do a fresh install of Quicken 2016, then install the mondo patch into the new Quicken bottle, and then disable the update file I previously mentioned (quickenPatch.exe) that is in your Quicken program folder in the c-drive. You should then be able to run Quicken without having to worry about their screwy updates causing a breakdown again.
Another thing you can do is use CrossOver to make a copy of your the Quicken bottle once you get it going. This copy will have all the program files in it and will sit there on the c-drive unused unless you need it. If a corruption were to occur in your active Quicken bottle, you can always change the default bottle to the copy you previously made and use it instead of the one that got corrupted. Hope this helps!!

I'm having the same problem. Quicken 2016 is now unusable on my machine. I hope there is a solution or I will have to forego CrossOver and just to to Quicken for Mac. Meanwhile, how do I get to my Quicken data file?

Jason, CodeWeavers already has a fix for the problem, Version 17.0b5 (17.0.0beta5.31153). I installed it yesterday and everything is working again. To get the fix, you will need to submit a ticket. Good luck.

I have the same issue, have submitted two different tickets, have requested the version 17 Beta and have heard nothing but from Codeweavers beyond we are working on it and hope to have a response today.

I got the Crossover 17beta5 build and downloaded and installed it. However, I got hung up when asked to create a new Quicken ID as soon as I clicked on the "Get Started" button. The program quits and I get kicked out. I guess I'll have to reinstall and try applying the "mondo" patch I saw referenced somewhere, but I don't know where to get that. I'm frustrated and about ready to just throw in the towel and install the new Quicken for Mac program. Ugh!

I reinstalled Quicken 2016 (Home and Business) and was able to get through the Quicken ID screens and such without having to install the "mondo" patch. It appears to be working (so far).

It's now been over 2 weeks since the Quicken 2016 / Quicken ID crash problem surfaced. The fix was CrossOver 17beta plus new instal of Quicken and mondo patch.
I would like to know what other users experiences are with stability after the 17b update? Personally I had another crash several days after fixing everything per Codeweavers recommendations, and had to resort to a backup to get going again. After disabling the update program, I am stable for 5 days.

So for the Quicken 2016 users: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

Today I got the beta from CodeWeavers. Installed that. I had a new Quicken H&B 2016 which I got from Quicken - so I wouldn't need the Mondo patch... installed that...
-- and got a message that said this, when I ran Quicken... (I also got the same message when I installed the OLD Quicken install... pre-patch)..

Program Error

The program rundll32.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine... and so on.

I tried removing the quickenpatch.exe... but to no avail. Any suggestions?

(BTW, I started this with the same probs listed in this thread - and this is where I am today. I have submitted another ticket...but thought I'd see if anyone has it working...and if so, how did you get it to work...)

I just installed Crossover Version 17.0b5 (17.0.0beta5.31153) today for my Quicken 2016 and it runs perfectly.

I finally got it running. After downloading Crossover 15 b5 and opening it, it updated my existing files. After that. I installed Quicken (2015 in my case) in a new bottle and then installed the mondo patch in the same bottle.

You will almost certainly need to run the mondo patch unless you've successfully logged into the Quicken (corporation) server instead of Intuit when starting up Quicken. The Mondo patch will install the latest rev. that will ask you for your Quicken ID (email & password). The older version of Quicken asks for your Intuit ID. If you aren't sure if you have a Quicken ID, go to Quicken.com and try logging in. If it works then the login you used is the Quicken ID. Quicken will not start with the Intuit ID and you'll get funny messages that say things like "Oh Oh, there was a problem on our end..." so check to make sure it is asking for your Quicken ID and use the ID that worked for Quicken.com.

I have Quicken Premier 2017 and spent weeks trying to get it to run after Quicken pushed R10, finally after CodeWeavers sent a link to CrossOver 17.0b3 and installing, reinstalling multiple times over the next week, I got Quicken to run. I have not run any more updates since that time.

I start "one step" and hit the cancel button before it can connect to the Quicken Service, but allow the program to connect to Fidelity and Vanguard, I do manual updates and imports from banks and credit unions Not ideal, but it is working. Reading the Quicken support site makes me wonder if they'll stay in business, It took them quite a while to acknowledge the problem and none of their fixes worked for most people.

-

Thanks for comment!

1 to 49 of 49

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicGdUVlU0dXRldHJWdVNHcSIsImdkcHIiOjB9