CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Bottle creation fails 13.2 Mac

I'm in Crossover 13.2, and I've been in the trial version. I had a game working for the first time, and then I shut down crossover a little later. After that, it didn't work at all. I tried reinstalling it, but the it couldn't create the bottle because it "already existed", which it hadn't. Nothing would work. I've even tried reinstalling Crossover multiple times but I still get this problem. Can anyone help me out? Am I not deleting all the files when reinstalling it? Help me please.

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

I would recommand reading the bottle manager section of the manual. By default, Crossover creates a new bottle (or container if you will) for each new software you install. This has a benefit where each software is isolated from each other, making inteference impossible.

The bottles are created with a name base on the software installed. Installing the software twice would result in Crossover to try and create a new bottle with the same name, hence the error you are getting. Simply choosing a new name for a bottle would itself resolve at least partially the issue, but you would then keep the old bottle and its files, leading to unnecessary disk space consumption. When installing, you could also have chosen the original bottle, relieving Crossover from creating a new one. Again, the manual has a section for installing.

The correct manner to uninstall with Crossover is usually to delete the bottle within the bottle manager. In my opinion, this is actually a cleaner method of uninstalling than under windows itself. The supplied uninstallers with windows software are therefore usually inadequate, unless you want to keep a bottle but remove something in it.

I'm hoping I'm clear enough, but you really should read the manual, as it is pretty explicit. Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask more questions if you need to.

P.S.: Someone who's moniker is Odin, the god of war, poetry and wisdom, knower of all things, should really have read the manual... 😋

I use a different name. Doesn't work. I install in a bottle I pre-created. New error, followed by more errors.

J-P Simard wrote:

I would recommand reading the
[link=http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-mac/officesetup]bottle
manager section of the manual.[/link] By default, Crossover creates
a new bottle (or container if you will) for each new software you
install. This has a benefit where each software is isolated from
each other, making inteference impossible.

The bottles are created with a name base on the software installed.
Installing the software twice would result in Crossover to try and
create a new bottle with the same name, hence the error you are
getting. Simply choosing a new name for a bottle would itself
resolve at least partially the issue, but you would then keep the
old bottle and its files, leading to unnecessary disk space
consumption. When installing, you could also have chosen the
original bottle, relieving Crossover from creating a new one. Again,
the manual has a section for installing.

The correct manner to uninstall with Crossover is usually to delete
the bottle within the bottle manager. In my opinion, this is
actually a cleaner method of uninstalling than under windows itself.
The supplied uninstallers with windows software are therefore
usually inadequate, unless you want to keep a bottle but remove
something in it.

I'm hoping I'm clear enough, but you really should read the manual,
as it is pretty explicit. Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't
ask more questions if you need to.

P.S.: Someone who's moniker is Odin, the god of war, poetry and
wisdom, knower of all things, should really have read the manual...
😋

Errors about the bottle name, or errors for the game itself?

If the games give errors, the advocates like myself can certainly try to get your game going, but we would need to know what game we're talking about.

If it is about the bottle name problem, and you have precreated some, then there is something going very wrong here. At this point, I would write to info@codeweavers.com and explain your problem. It is the more surefire way to get the staff's attention on the matter, and they would have a better idea of what is going on here. I must say that it is the first time I would have come across something like this myself, and have no idea what to do about it.

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

Whoops - I think I forwarded JP's post to our ticket system :(

However, I also forwarded the OP, which should automatically open a ticket. In general, CrossOver's installer creates a bottle name based on the name of the program being installed. If a bottle with that name already exists, CrossOver should not fail, but instead will just generate another bottle name, such as 'Foozleware-2' in the case that 'Foozleware' already exists.

So it does sound like there is either some confusion or an unusual bug happening. Whether the game works or not is one thing, but CrossOver's installer should not be giving these kinds of errors.

Josh DuBois wrote:

Whoops - I think I forwarded JP's post to our ticket system :(

Ha, ha, I don't even remember the last time I opened a ticket myself! As long as the issue is solved, I don't mind at all!

Well it's a good thing a ticket is opened. Because you're last line was, "I don't even know what to do about it." Well codeweavers staff is gonna tell you. hahaha

Fat chance, my ticket was closed on the spot, and I don't have a Mac! 😀

It's not just that one game. Its everything. Nothing works. I try to install something, and I get nothing. It says it can't create the bottle because it already exists (which it doesn't) and then I press "try again" and nothing happens. If I do "skip this step" it gives me this: The ‘<cxaiemisc.AIEPreAssoc object at 0xdf6d590>’ task failed.

if i skip that then i get more errors, and it ends up just not installing the software at all.

Well, that really is the first time I have seen this. I hope the staff can clear this up for you Yggr. May the Norns favor your fate!

OK. Let's take it back to where the problem started.

In your first post you mention:

"I had a game working for the first time, and then I shut down crossover a little later. After that, it didn't work at all. I tried reinstalling it, but the it couldn't create the bottle because it "already existed", which it hadn't."

1) Which game? And, is your OS mavericks? Perhaps someone can reproduce the problem.

2) I'm puzzled: if the bottle "hadn't existed", how come you were able to play the game? Or am I misinterpreting your words?

A ticket has been opened for this, I think we should let the staff work this out. Right now, Odin can't reinstall the software, with really weird errors that really shouldn't happen in the first place. At this time, it appears that Crossover itself can't even do the basic job of creating a bottle, making this probably a problem exceeding what advocates can deal with.

1 to 12 of 12

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSHA1Q2JhVUxlTmJDdENjeSIsImdkcHIiOjB9