CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Applications Communications Limitations?

Does Cross Over have any internet access limitations between applications and the internet.

I have an app that requires the entry of a serial number which it then validates with its own server. This process is failing because the application claims it cannot access the internet from within Cross Over.

Umm nothing that is imposed by CrossOver itself but, depending on how a certain application tries to create connections it may run into stuff that's not implemented yet.

Thanks; I don't really know anything about how this application is doing its serial number authentication, except that it requires internet access.

I am having the same issue with an application that needs to access the internet for registration and not being able to connect to the internet.
I have mine installed in a Win 7 bottle, but have been unable to get IE11 to fully install, as it comes up with a bunch of addition requirements it needs ot install.

I tried going into “configure bottles”, selected bottle, Control panel tab, then selected wine configurer and added IE from the ‘wine IE’ program folder to the applications.But it is not working.

IE7 in an XP bottle is the only crossover supported version of Internet Explorer IE8 can be installed but works poorly under crossover unless you install using winetricks.
IE9-10 and 11 will probably never work under crossover as they need security hooks that only Windows can provide.
To install IE8 replace Bottle Name with your bottle --- Code as follows.
[Mac]

WINEPREFIX="/Library/Application Support/Crossover/Bottles/Bottle name" winetricks ie8

[linux]

WINEPREFIX=~/.cxoffice/Bottle name winetricks ie8

You can Get Winetricks here http://winetricks.org/winetricks

Okay. does IE 8 run under Win 7?
I have my app installed ina Win 7 bottle.

It should run but you will need to change the bottle to an XP bottle to install IE8 as the installer is for XP. Then change the bottle back to Win7 after you install IE8.
I just installed IE8 with Winetricks into an XP bottle then changed it to a Win7 bottle and IE8 does run. I am using Crossover Linux so your experience may differ.

Pardon my ignorance... how do I change my Win 7 bottle to a WIn XP bottle?

I was able to install and register my program.
I Installed Net 4, and some other programs it needed, including IE7 in an XP Bottle and then installed the program (Strucalc 8)
Everything was runnig great until I tried to install Bullzip as a PDF printer in the bottle, so I had some way to print
(The program was having exception errors when I was trying to print using the default OS printer.
After installing Bullzip, the program started hanging...

I uninstalled the bottle and recreated it, but now I cannot re-register because it still has the OLD version as being registered and I only get 1 registration.
Will have to wait until Monday to have them remove my old install as being registered and then I should be able to get it running again.

Thanks for all your help.

KCO wrote:

I was able to install and register my program.
I Installed Net 4, and some other programs it needed, including IE7
in an XP Bottle and then installed the program (Strucalc 8)
Everything was runnig great until I tried to install Bullzip as a
PDF printer in the bottle, so I had some way to print
(The program was having exception errors when I was trying to print
using the default OS printer.
After installing Bullzip, the program started hanging...

I uninstalled the bottle and recreated it, but now I cannot
re-register because it still has the OLD version as being registered
and I only get 1 registration.
Will have to wait until Monday to have them remove my old install as
being registered and then I should be able to get it running
again.

Thanks for all your help.
From Crossover open Manage Bottles then open Control Panel then go to Wine Configuration and select Windows Version XP ,7 etz.
The above quote was to post above don't know how it ended up here. Any way when you get a program working it is a good idea to use the archive function so you can bring it back intact if some thing you add after blows it up it is under the advance tab.

I am able to run Strucalc 8 on a MacbookPro and I am able to get the program to run okay, but I am not able to get Print Preview or Print to work.

Anyone have an idea what program in Windows Strucalc might be using to generate the Print preview and print function?

I heard back from tech support @ Strucalc.
While they do not support the Mac OS, he did point me in a direction...
"It doesn’t use a program to generate print preview’s it uses Windows. So it would have to be in the crossover program you mention. The actual .dll that creates the print preview is called C1.Win.C1Report.2 or C1.C1Report.2"

I am off to try and see if I can figure out what is wrong with the above dll's I have installed in my bottle...

edit/ update: While I am still getting and "excptions error" when trying to print preview, I am able to get output copies using "file/ print" usig CUPS as my default printer, which is generating a PDF file.. Yeah...

1 to 12 of 12

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiclVQeTc4bWVxTmFDZ1dCQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9