CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Moving bottles to /Library

I'm trying to move my bottles from my user libraries to /Library, so all users on my computer can access them. Putting the bottles in /Library/Application Support/Crossover/Bottles/ works in that Crossover can see them fine, but they get stuck on "Scanning" indefinitely and will not actually run.

I suspected at first that it was a permissions issue, but I have given Read/Write Access to "everyone" for the entire Crossover directory and applied that to the entire directory, so that's not it.

What's going on here? How can I fix it?

You suspect a permission issue, I suspect you haven't read the manual on the subject of the advanced tab, nor specifically about the "publish" button you would find there. Probably the entirety of the manual has not been read? 😋

I suspect that would do exactly what you require without manually foolin' around with permissions. I suspect the advocate that you are will now read the appropriate section of the Crossover manual.

I suspect you have understood the tongue-in-cheek attitude of my message? 😈 Yes, I'm an evil Linux user saying RTFM, but at least I'm telling you what page! 😀

There is a manual??? <ducks>

On a more serious note, is the manual maintained by CodeWeavers or by people (advocates) who feel the need to maybe update it?

The manual is not as regularly maintained as it should be, but it does still have enough basic info that it should at least be read. Still, in my opinion, the Mac version manual seems to receive a little more love than the Linux one. Even worse, Linux user will often be told to RFTM, and generally not in the amused tone I have done it.

Just to say that ignoring the manual outright might not be such a good idea. Had the manual been read, even if out of date, it would have solved the issue. Jumping to "I'll change the permissions" instead of pressing a button is a wondrous and admirable bit of tinkering, but it was utterly unncessary. There are times where simple solutions are to be prefered.

And yes, I'm a guy and I read manuals. I have even read the Mac manual for Crossover even if I'm a Linux user...

I am not a guy and I do read manuals :) I am a compulsive reader and I will read anything with letters on it :)

That said the manual is "slightly" out of date which is where my question came from even though it would have helped in this situation.

We are obviously not from the same place, as the humour was misread.

There is a local "prejudice" (at least in Quebec) that men do not read manuals, hence what I wrote! No offense to women.

rofl...my comment may not have shown it but I did understand and I even know the phrase :)

edited to add: I do apologise if I gave the wrong impression or that I didn't think it funny.

Okily Dokily!

I just had a doubt that my referrence wasn't a "known" as I thought. I then feared I sounded like an ass, which is usually the case when cultural elements don't translate well.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV2JtTHBLQ1lLYVJ0YmRjQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9