CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Rift and DirectX 9

Okay, so hello support community! :)

I've been trying to download and play Rift... I'm not very computer/internet savvy, so as CrossOver was installing Rift, there was something called 'DirectX 9' that was having an issue. It just says "Installing Direct X 9" and has that swirly blue and white bar, with 'In Process...' forever sitting below the little x to cancel it. I waited a few minutes and there was no progress at all, so I just cancelled it thinking it wouldn't be a big deal.

However, when I reported this to my boyfriend upon Rift not loading, I got yelled at for using a Mac and not knowing what DirectX is, etc.etc.

So, I was wondering... What can I do about this? It simply is not going past being 'In Process.' It doesn't install. It DOWNLOADED it, but won't finish installing it. Very irritating, I am nearly 100% positive that Rift would be working if DirectX would install...

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Can you tell us what version of Mac OS X and which version of CrossOver you're using?

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

Can you tell us what version of Mac OS X and which version of
CrossOver you're using?

OSX Version 10.9.4 and CrossOver 12.5

Could you check with the latest version of CrossOver?

Hmm. I would have to buy an entirely new license to update my crossover. My support period was only for one month, last year. I don't have $40 to throw at a free-to-play online game. I don't actually have internet at my home, but we're on vacation and the place has internet so we just wanted to play for a week.

I am now downloading the trial version of 13.2, though.

EDIT: Okay, 13.2 got DirectX to download, however: now it won't download Rift itself; it's having the same blue and white loading bar 'in process,' with no progress after an hour of waiting.

Sometimes a game won't work in CrossOver but will work in a wrapper built by Wineskin Winery. Download from: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads

Once you start up Winery choose create new blank wrapper. Click OK to any screen poppng up. Once created double click the wrapper and choose Install software; choose the Rift.exe. You need to download it separately in advance.

I am not sure it will work; I haven't got Rift myself, but it is a possibility you can try out.

Hope it works!

Edit: the latest engine used by Winery is 1.7.23. Make sure it is installed using the start up screen of Winery.

Jørgen wrote:

Sometimes a game won't work in CrossOver but will work in a wrapper
built by Wineskin Winery. Download from:
http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads

Once you start up Winery choose create new blank wrapper. Click
OK to any screen poppng up. Once created double click the wrapper
and choose Install software; choose the Rift.exe. You need to
download it separately in advance.

I am not sure it will work; I haven't got Rift myself, but it is a
possibility you can try out.

Hope it works!

Edit: the latest engine used by Winery is 1.7.23. Make sure it is
installed using the start up screen of Winery.

Thanks! I'm going to see if letting it load all the way (UGH this has taken 20 hours already) will make it playable... as of now, using the same wifi connection I have, my boyfriend has been able to play after it loaded like 1/4 of the way...grrr lol he's already level 6.

So if it still fails to work in the next 4 hours I'll just try the Winery. :)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic3pUcHd2QmRwOXROVGtGYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9