CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Windows Games as CDs

Hey just a general question here:
I tried installing and playing 3 different windows games via the trail version of Crossover - Battlefield 1942/2 and Age of Empires 2. While with each of them the installation ran without a single hiccup and exactly the same way as it would on an actual Windows PC, with each I encountered the same problem:

The game disk, which was naturally already inserted, could not be found.

After Age of Empires 2 I thought it could just be bad luck and the CD is too old or something like that, but after the same result with all 3 I checked in the FaQs and read that Macs cannot go round the copyright protection of the CDs.

Seeing as ALL my windows games are bought in the store, since thats what everyone USED to do, does that mean Crossover is totally useless for my situation?

Thanks upfront

Nah, there are tricks. For instance, use the eject button in ther Crossover interface, it's important. Further, make sure the subsequent CD is properly mounted after insertion.

That being said, in case of failure, you can just copy the content of you CDs into a single folder in your HDD to do the installation. The installer should just install everything from that folder and not ask for disks. I have done this before, and it works 99% of the time for me. You will still need your game CD if there is copy protection when running the game, but unless it is some really stupid DRM, it should just work.

Anyway, multi-cd installation is entirely possible, but not always smooth.

Oh wow thats really helpful thanks! But as simple as your explanation sounded, is there a tutorial somewhere showing how exactly that works and did you try games like Age of empires, Empire Earth, Assassin's creed or battlefield already?

But also to make my situation clear - the disk could be read to install the game, which functioned flawlessly with all 3 - though when i started each of the games my pc said i should insert the disk that was already inserted and nothing i did made him read it

I'm sorry, I misread your post!

Yeah there are some DRM that will just never work. I have had games that some disk security that worked just fine, and there are quite a few of those. Still, there are disk that refuse to work. Neither on a Mac or on a Linux box, if a DRM doesn't work, you're SOL. Mind you, I have had games on Windows that didn't launch because of a really bad DRM.

As for AOE II, you can look at it's page here, as it appears to work. Same thing for battlefield, as you can see on its page here. Assassin's creed page is here. Unfortunatly, Empire Earth doesn't seem to work. You can keep checking the database to give you an idea of what works or not. Please note that if the game is unsupported, that means the evaluation came from the user community, and on that point, there's an evaluation for Mac and Linux seperatly.

As for tutorials, the Mac tutorials are on this page.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiY2J5VE1KRnNQWXhMSldYdSIsImdkcHIiOjB9