CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Why??

Hi

I don´t get it. To able to sell the product and get more people to use it. Why not focus on the top lists of what people want and need in everyday business?
Fine games are for amusement. But why not concentrate on the majority and most important things.
I think if programs like Office 2013 with Outlook, Excel, OneNot,Visio and program like VMware vSphere Client would work you would have completely diffrent market. I go to Codeweavers page every 3 month and hope that office programs for work would be fixed. But ... no. Still on top of wish list. But not fixed.

And you know what people want, Daniel?

"I think if programs like Office 2013 with Outlook.."

I never ever would use Outlook nor do I need office, there are Mac programs which are fine enough and allow you to save in .doc or what ever you need for the Windows world.

I think there are a lot of people wo want to use crossover for their pasttime. And not only young ones, I'm not far from retirement.

The only question which I have sometimes - why bother with crossover for games, which run native on a Mac like WoW?

No one said Crossover doesn't focus on office software. But you have to look at things in general. (What follows is my opinion, nothing more)

1) There are a lot more games than office software. The games outnumber office software (not just MSOffice) in such great disproportion, in the end, there's a greater chance to attract a user with games. As much as you might like reality to be different, your interests are probably astronomically outweighed by the sheir number of games.

2) Look at the history of Word. Ms gained dominance over WordPerfect (which was by far the most used at some point) by using undocumented APIs, so as to restrict WordPerfect ability to compete. Do you think that practice has changed, or disappeared? I would think it highly probable that MS doesn't see favorably that their flagship software is made to run on any other platform than Windows. Although I can't prove it, I'm fairly sure MS uses some tricks to make Office very difficult to run outside of windows. Just look at how .docx format was born, and tell me again how MS cooperates with other technologies. To think that MS protects their cash cow, and a continued reason for their OS dominance, is certainly not unreasonnable. Not to take that in consideration, might be less than adequate.

In other words, the reason MS Office isn't always at the ready as new version come out is a question of market. Both the incredibly small market office software is, and how protective MS probably is of the office market.

Daniel, you may want to consider a few things:

1) MS Office 2013 is new you can't really expect software like wine, which usually plays catch-up to Windows' features, to have next day support
2) Codeweavers would love to have it running. Think of the press releases and the headlines but wine is not up to the task, yet
3) People using MS Office 13 may not be that many. I stick with 2007 and see no reason to "upgrade" and I'm willing to bet others will try to get as much mileage as possible from their purchase. Especially companies. They'll upgrade when they absolutely have to.

I get your frustration, I have mine with Origin not working because I have Mass Effect 3 on there which wine is perfectly capable to run. But, what's the use of that when Origin can't download stuff? Like me and you, there are people on here that might have the same sort of issues and it's not like Codeweavers don't want to make these programs work, they're a small company and there's only so much work they can do so they prioritize. Games are a good to focus on because personal computers have attracted, since forever, more people with fun and games than with office suites and programming environments.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWUNMdXlXU2RGYVZIN2t1NSIsImdkcHIiOjB9