CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installed game not working

Hi there, i used Crossover to install Spellcross, an old win game. The installation was smooth with an ending, that it has been installed properly. But when i try to run the game, the DosBox window pop-up, with just black screen, stays there for about 10 secs and then close without any notification. Is there any solution for this problem ?

Thanks for answers

Um, Crossover and DosBox are two different things...

Spellcross, for as much as I can tell, is a true DOS game and that isn't what Crossover is designed to run. But you had your own answer, Dosbox is what you need to run this at first glance.

http://www.dosbox.com/

Yes, first i tried to install it somehow with dosbox, but i was unsuccessful. So i tried boxer and it sad to me, that it is not a dos game but a windows app so i should try crossover. So i tried, installed the game without problem and when i want to play the game, i dont know why, but the dosbox window shows up.

Odd, because what I have read is that your game is a dos game. In must be one of those in between generations that is really a bit of both.

In any case, I think the executable is still linked with dosbox for some reason. So if you don't use dosbox, I would uninstall that first and try again. If you need dosbox for some other software, make sure that your game is fully uninstalled from your prior dosbox attempt. In particular, make sure to erase any shortcuts/launcher or menu entries that the dosbox attempt might have created. My guess is that you might be using a launcher that invoques dosbox, in other words a leftover from your first attempt.

There are some DOS games that use Win16 or Win32 installers. Running those games can be a bit tricky, especially if the installer creates configuration files that contain drives and paths and the Wine C:\ drive doesn't match the dosbox C:\ drive.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiN2NCM3NZR2RkOWVGVHpMRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9