CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver/Wine/Wineskin now does not work at all with most old windows games on OS X 10.9.2

Hi,
I have a number of games I bought for GOG and other places that I was running with either wineskin or crossover.
I noticed after upgrading to OS X 10.9.2 that when i try to run these games wine just simply crash no matter how I tweak it. All these games were running before these include for example

• Planescape Torment
  • Guilty Gear X
  • Gemini Rue

And others, while some other games that I know are using wine are working like

• Dragon Age Mac version
  • The amazing adventures of Van Hellsing

I searched everywhere but had no luck, I even downloaded the recently released GOG Mac version of planescape torment (which uses wineskin) but i got exactly the same issue as with crossover. Any idea please ? And am I the only one having these issues or they are common to all 10.9.2 installations?

I am using a 15" Macbook pro late 2013.

Ashraf Kamal Khalid wrote:

I searched everywhere but had no luck, I even downloaded the
recently released GOG Mac version of planescape torment (which uses
wineskin) but i got exactly the same issue as with crossover. Any
idea please ? And am I the only one having these issues or they are
common to all 10.9.2 installations?

I am using a 15" Macbook pro late 2013.

Which version of CrossOver did you use? And, did you try installing Planescape: Torment via our "CrossTie"?

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=2492

I am using Crossover 13.1.2 and I am using the crosstie than you mention.
The installation itself is fine but at the end when it tries to launch the game the game just crash giving an wine error dialog with a button that is supposed to give more details however when i press it crossover simply hangs. This is the same with wineskin as well.
I checked the console output I can see that wine is complaining about not finding a root window or something of that sort.
I also tried the game with X11 or native mac graphics both give the same result.

Ok, found out what was causing the issue. It's not Mavericks update 10.9.2 itself, even though the issue only happened after the update, it's the problematic RAZER Synapse drivers.
For some reason wine crashes when it tries initialise the audio drivers because of a RAZER Synapse audio plugin (this used to work prior to 10.9.2). To fix the issue either remove RAZER Synapse software (which is not the best solution) or just delete the audio plugin /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/RazerAudio.plugin this allows Synapse to run (don't know why have an audio plugin for mouse software in the 1st place) and fix the issue with wine.

Thank you very much. This also solved my problem with Steam.

This should be posted in the known issues section.

Ian Pickert wrote:

This should be posted in the known issues section.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=206;tips=1#tip5646

There. I think we skipped adding it to Steam because RAZER Synapse actually interferes with any application run via CrossOver (or any Wine derivative) and so only posting it in the Steam Tips and Tricks seemed... like not enough. However, it needs to be somewhere for people to actually use the knowledge.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTVRKMkdtZWdXQmRDTGRSbiIsImdkcHIiOjB9