CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

MS Office and lnk files

MS Office works fine with Crossover on my MacBook Pro, Mac OSX 10.9, but every time I create or open a Word file, Crossover creates a bunch of tiny lnk files in various document-related folders. If I delete these lnk files then the main docx file will not open in Word. Is there anything that can be done to minimize the file clutter this causes? I saw an old suggestion to create a couple of "Recent" folders, but doing this has no effect whatsoever. Nothing goes in the Recent folders, and the lnk files keep popping up in the various Document folders.

Maybe directory permissions are messed up and Crossover can't remove those lnk files? http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/faq/cxmacmigrationassist might help.

Actually that is not the case too ;)
There are is a software that is the perfect solution for little problems like this. Try it out http://parallels.za.com.
The best part is that not only it saves you time but it also allows you to transport MS docs to your Mac and uses it as if it was there all along.

Parallels is great if a person wants to run Windows on their Mac. It will be fully functional because it is Windows. However, running Windows via Parallels on a Mac means running two operating systems simultaneously (not to mention the need to protect Windows and the setup and so much more). In some cases, this makes the system slow though these days that is less and less of a problem.

Now, to the strange behavior... the lnk files.

We see this behavior when saving to a location that is exceptionally secure. Office applications create temporary documents that represent the changes made within the document. Once a person saves, the temporary documents become part of the actual document and are removed... if all is well.

However, that seems to not be the case. I think it would be best if you file a Support Ticket and further detail what you're doing. Are you adding pictures to your document? Are you saving to a file share? What actions are happening in Word when the various files are created?

This would really help us track down the behavior and if it is a bug (we would compare the behavior to what happens on a Windows system), we would work to resolve it.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVVdublFtZlJaSGNNYnhyUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9