CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver 20 - Some Visual Novels quitting when a video should be played - Can't install Windows Media Player 10

I tried to play Clannad VN (Steam, HD English edition), Summer Pockets and If My Heart Had Wings but they're always quitting when a video should be played.
It's because in these type of games the videoplayback is handled by WMP and it's not installed in bottles by default.
I saw this fix: [Fix] Videos in Japanese Video Games

However it's not working. After clicking "Install Now" on the provided Windows Media Player 10 CrossOver link, a window popping up saying: "Downloading ...", but after that nothing happens.
I tried to create a new Windows XP bottle and install the Media Player 10 manually with the link provided at "CrossOver Software Installer" but it says "This version of Windows Media Player can be installed only on a computer running Windows XP (32-bit)". Since it's a Windows XP bottle I don't really understand why is it saying that.

How can I install WMP?
Thanks in advance.

Big Sur 11.1 - CrossOver 20.0.2

Solved with a workaround:
So the CrossTie isn't working and I can't install WMP10 simply by executing the wmp10setup. I used a custom Wineskin created by Gcenx and there I could install wmp10 with winetricks. On Crossover there is no winetricks, but I figured out that I can use WINEPREFIX to point Wineskin winetricks to my CrossOver XP bottle to install wmp10 on that. It's not a fix but a workaround.

Steps:

• Download the custom Wineskin Winery: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer/releases
  • Install WS11WineCX20.0.0 engine (not the 64-bit!)
  • Create a wrapper and open it
  • Go to Advanced -> Tools -> Winehq Engine Launch
  • In the opened Terminal window write the following:
    WINEPREFIX="route_to_crossover_bottle" winetricks wmp10
    In my case: WINEPREFIX="/Users/kushwavez/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/XP" winetricks wmp10
  • If "curl" is failing to download WMP10Setup.exe download it manually and place it to "~/.cache/winetricks/wmp10" then execute the command again
  • Wait for it
  • Done! VNs that uses WMP for video playback should work in CrossOver!

Also install LAVFilters (only version 0.70.2 should work) and ffdshow_rev4532_20140717_clsid, some VN uses them to show videos (for example If My Heart Had Wings)

While this can work I wouldn’t recommend doing it.

Incase anyone reads this I would like to say WineCX20.0.0 is purposely not optimized at all, meaning it will run much worse then CrossOver. Doing the above workaround could cause corrupt within the Bottle be warned.

In regards to installing WMP10, you can actually extract the contents of the installer exe to a folder using an app like 7-Zip (which you can run using CrossOver).

Once you have done that, right-click on the bottle you want to install WMP10 into and select Install Software Into... Select Windows Media Player 10 as what you want to install and for Select an Installer Source, pick Choose Installer Folder... and point to that new folder with all of WMP10 installer contents.

Doing it this way you should not receive that error anymore and media Player should install.

Oh I didn't know that I can extract the MP10Setup.exe... This makes it much easier now...

Yep, it's working that way too, thanks. But It didn't work with Right Click -> Install Software into "bottle_name", gave me error:

What I had to do is untick "Launch Installer Assistant when CrossOver opens an .exe file" in CrossOver Preferences -> Installer Assistant, set the bottle to default, and double-click "setup_wm.exe".
After that it went okay, games using WMP are working.

Another question! some games are using devenum.dll and quartz for proper effects. (Saku Saku: Love Blooms with the Cherry Blossoms)
For that I did the same and used Gcenx's Wineskin (WS11WineCX20.0.0 engine) and used the same trick I used for install WMP10 again:
WINEPREFIX="/Users/kushwavez/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/XP" winetricks devenum
WINEPREFIX="/Users/kushwavez/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/XP" winetricks quartz

It's working, but you said it's not recommended, so I wonder If I could install them the "normal" way or not.
Can I install them on CrossOver without winetricks?

Note: On some games after installing devenum and quartz, they're causing crash when a video should be played.
If that happens, you need to go to "Wine Configuration" then at "Libraries" search for "quartz", click "Edit" -> Select "Builtin then Native", "OK", then start your game. It should work again.

Note: I saw in changelog that CrossOver 20.0.4 fixed the not working CrossTie. Now WMP10 CrossTie is downloading, but after that still can't install it, it just opens the Install manager, and does nothing else. Anyway, not a big deal now.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS0FWSmZrSnF1WFd6bW5OeCIsImdkcHIiOjB9