CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Save As silently fails to create new file

Hi, all

I'm brand new to CrossOver, having just downloaded it yesterday. I've previously used WINE and WineBottler to run some clunky old Windows apps in the past; nothing very involved. The 32-bit issue caused me to eventually give CrossOver a try to keep these applications going, so far mosly successfully.

My current issue isn't 32-bit related, however. I downloaded a formerly commercial but now free circuit simulation application called Micro-Cap, and installed it in a Windows 7 64-bit bottle. The installation went smoothly and installed both 32-bit and 64-bit version of the application. The application (64-bit) itself seemingly runs great, save for one very important function: After painstakingly creating a schematic and running a simulation--all of which went great--when I selected Save As from the file menu a dialog appeared and allowed me to select a location and choose a file name and then silently did nothing. No crashes, no errors, no extra dialogs and most important, no saved file.

I've played around with this for a while but nothing I've tried has helped. This is on a standard filesystem on the host, not a network or other volume. There are no issues opening/reading files from this location. I thought perhaps that it was an issue with permissions or something similar preventing file creation, but when I tried touching a file in the same location to create an empty file beforehand, not only did it save data to that file when I selected it in Save As, it also created a backup of the empty file.

Anyway. I'm at a loss. I'm well versed in MacOS and Unix but know next to nothing about windows. If this is a known issue or anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks in advance

Edited to add:

CrossOver 20.0.2 on Catalina, 10.15.7

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRktwbk5TOWJreUZZMjNoOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9