CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Using crossover with unsupported software - help please! :)

Hi,

So I am new to all this and not great with tech stuff at all!

I have just switched from PC to a brand new shiny MBA. Only problem is that I do a few hours of teaching a week through a company called Talkbean. They have their own software that I work from and, since the switch, I have realised it only works on PC. Because this is the only thing I need windows for I would rather not have to actually take up space on my laptop with windows, hence the appeal of crossover.
I have tried downloading it with crossover but it doesn't seem to work.

Any advice/help very much appreciated!!!!!

Hello

We need more information as where to download the software and any debug output.

Regards

You can create debug log file by using "run command" and pointing to your software's executable with the "browse" button. In the "debug options" you should ask for a log file to be created.

Within the log file, you should look for line which complains about missing files, .dll files in particular. Such files can indicate what is missing in the bottle to let your software work.

Which brings me to ask, what was used to build the software? Is it .Net, python, java? If you can find this out, that too might help figure things out.

Kris Lee wrote:

Hi,

So I am new to all this and not great with tech stuff at all!

I have just switched from PC to a brand new shiny MBA. Only problem
is that I do a few hours of teaching a week through a company called
Talkbean. They have their own software that I work from and, since
the switch, I have realised it only works on PC. Because this is
the only thing I need windows for I would rather not have to
actually take up space on my laptop with windows, hence the appeal
of crossover.
I have tried downloading it with crossover but it doesn't seem to
work.

Any advice/help very much appreciated!!!!!

So I went here and looked it up:

http://tutor.talkbean.com/learningEng.do?cmd=talkLiveDownload

I can't find anything that talks about what it needs to run, so I started poking...

It definitely need MSVC++2008 and it complains when it can't find flash. I guess it just works on Windows but the FAQs that are posted are all about running the application on a Windows system, not about installation or launching (and it does install... it just doesn't launch).

HOWEVER!! There is a part of the site that talks about set up for Mac users. I'm assuming you can use this natively on your Mac:

http://tutor.talkbean.com/learningEng.do

Of course this isn't the full program, but maybe it will get you what you need. I've worked on it for about a half hour and not gotten anything terribly useful from the downloadable content. Usually, by now, I would have something that at least launches if it's going to work with CrossOver. The only thing I can get to launch is the viewer and somehow I don't think that's enough.

I'm really sorry. I'm not familiar with TalkBean but I was hoping it would work well. At this time it does not. I would recommend seeing if you can get running with their Mac instructions. If not you are probably looking at something like a partition with Windows on it on your shiny new Mac... or Virtual Box/VMWare/Parallels if you need the full program. It's been a long time since I've suggested those but I can't see this working in CrossOver in the near future (and I would love to be wrong, trust me).

We have had other applications that are similar technology work. Unfortunately, this one seems to need more than we provide at this time.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidllaYUhwcldDdUNDTEdHTCIsImdkcHIiOjB9