CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Defiance Beta (can't connect to servers)

I'm trying to run Defiance using Crossover on my Mac. I've been running it through VMWare Fusion and the performance isn't good, so I thought Crossover might be better. Well, everything seems fine with installation and booting up the game. The opening already runs much better than in VMWare, but I cannot seem to get connected to the servers. Now, I know the servers are up, because I connect through VMWare, but it won't let me connect through Crossover. Anyone know what the problem might be?

I'm using Windows XP in the bottle. I'm not too saavy with Crossover, having only used it for 1 other game, so be gentle. Thanks.

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what could be going on? Is this unheard of? Surprised at the lack of response in any form...

Well, no idea right now...

When you run with VMware, you run Windows. Crossover isn't windows, and you might have something in you virtual machine that isn't present in Crossover.

So first thing to figure this out would be to run a windows command and point it to your game's executable. In the debug options, you should ask for a log to be generated. In that log look for lines which complains about missing files, dll files in particular. Such files might point to what execution support software you're missing. If you want to post your log, please post it as "code" with the code button, and preferably only the parts the seem significant.

Off the top of my head, you might want to try and install ie7 in that bottle as that might get you going, but this is a wild guess on my part. I'm guessing that some web related piece of software is missing and that ie7 might just pull in what you need.

Lastly, I do want to help you, but I'm a Linux geek and don't own a Mac, so I can only go so far. Luck would have it that Crossover is sufficiently the same for Linux and Mac, from a user standpoint, for me to have at least a chance to help you.

Also, you might want to try a support ticket. If the staff can test the game, they might just try to figure things out for you, even if the game is officially unsupported.

Thanks for the help. I've tried putting Explorer 7 in the bottle and that didn't help. There are 2 hiccups that I got during set up and the first was right after creating the bottle and trying to launch it, I got an error saying the patcher encountered an error and needs to shut down. In the log, I found this line to stand out: "Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x010d0000 in 32-bit code (0x437a0d5a)"

If I close everything and simply restart Crossover, it doesn't give me that error and will go into patching the game. I should note that the window that opens up for the patcher appears Black, until I choose Window > Bring all to front. Then a flickering version of the patcher comes up and I can patch the game. I also launch it from there, where the opening ads for the game creators begin and it goes to the loading screen. That's where it immediately stalls out and tells me the Defiance Service is not Available.

The other hiccup I had was that Microsoft .NET Service pack 2.0 will not install. In another game I played, though not online, I was told this was crucial.

Yeah, you might have .net2.0 in that VM of yours. There is a specific entry for .net2.0 in Crossover which might work better if that is really needed. Other than that, you do have directx in there right?

That being said, how hard is it to get in the beta of this game? Not that I want to play it, but if I could get the executable I might be able to figure out what is needed on my end and tell what to do from there. I'm not making any promises as were not even on similar systems, but if I test things here who knows?

Did you try that support ticket? The staff is a very friendly bunch, you never know what they might come up with.

I do have DIrect X, yes. The Beta ended today, so I'm not sure what to do about ordering the game. I'm now thinking of installing a version of steam in a bottle and playing from there. That might be easier. I already have Steam, but I have it for Mac games. I'm pretty sure Steam is supported in Crossover, but I don't know if that will help it run Defiance. Anyway, I guess it's a gamble. I'm not sure why I'm not getting good performance through VMWare either. It seems to be a video problem. Ah well... Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

The problem with virtual machines is that they tax the physical system by running two operating systems at once. No matter how efficient, I doubt you would ever get anywhere close to really interesting performance with a VM. Crossover is more of a "translator", and does not carry the overhead of an entire OS on top of your real OS.

Anyway, the idea of running Defiance with steam is worth trying. I do get good performance myself with Skyrim which is running by way of Steam. But from there to say that it will allow your game to run is whole other story. It is certainly worth a try.

I'm sorry I won't be of anymore help at this point. Perhaps after the game is released, if the game is free to play, I'll give it a go, might it be only for curiosity's sake.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR2FDdVlkdzc3bTd0S2dSdCIsImdkcHIiOjB9