CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Help on Mac w OS X, this is a new Intel 64 bit mac

I successfully ran cross over as a trial once and then had to force it closed.

Now when i try and open it by double clicking on the crossover icon in the applications folder on my mac it starts running and shows the crossover icon in my doc at the bottom of the screen, but the window to open and run an app no longer appears. I also see crossover running in the activity monitor which show what apps are running.

It is just that no windows open for me to actually use the app to run another windows app.

Help would be appreciated.

Since no one has yet replied, I'll try to help here, but I'm a Linux/sometimes-windows user so my help capability is limited.

Your problem resemble a common problem where a window just sits outside the desktop. After googling, it seems this happens on Mac too. Normally, on Linux desktops or Windows, you can right-click and just use the drag/move option from the pop-up menu so as to drag the window back into view. I understand that might not be available for the Mac window manager, but I might be wrong.

I believe that pressing F8, while Crossover window is active, might allow you to drag the window into place. Not that I can verify this myself. I'm also not quite sure as to how that works, but it should but your desktop in a mode allowing you to drag the window out of that limbo.

I found some mentions that using the zoom option on the menu might also pop things into place, when available.

Lastly, I also understand that deleting preferences for Crossover is also a possibility, but I'm not clear on how to do this. You might want to investigate.

At the very least, this should give you some ideas to google. You can open a support ticket if you like, but I think this is a Mac desktop specific issue, not directly related to Crossover.

Good Luck!

Are you able to use the "programs" pull down menu and access your program (s) that way?

If so it would just mean you had clicked the "open this wdw at startup" on the little interface wdw.
If you indadvertedly checked the box, I believe you can reactive it to popup in the preferences menu.
Hope that gets you rolling :)

Gordon Foster wrote:

I successfully ran cross over as a trial once and then had to force
it closed.

Now when i try and open it by double clicking on the crossover icon
in the applications folder on my mac it starts running and shows the
crossover icon in my doc at the bottom of the screen, but the window
to open and run an app no longer appears. I also see crossover
running in the activity monitor which show what apps are running.

It is just that no windows open for me to actually use the app to
run another windows app.

Help would be appreciated.

When you click the CrossOver icon does the word "CrossOver" appear next to the Apple Icon in the upper left corner?

If so, CrossOver is indeed running. On first run we show a splash screen with two options:

1. Install Windows Software
  2. Run Installed Software

We actually show it on every run unless someone checks the box "Don't show this window at startup". Without that splash window, CrossOver seems to be doing "nothing" but waiting (which is true).

If you have "CrossOver" next to the Apple icon in your menu bar, you should be able to access the "Configure" drop down menu to select "Install Software".

You can also re-enable the splash screen from the "Window" drop down menu by selecting "Welcome to CrossOver".

Leave it to a Linux geek to spark a "flood" of answers on a Mac forum. I guess I helped in my own way 😀

(Done hijacking the thread now)

I am running Version 12.1.2 (12.1.2.26862) and I do not see the option to activate the "welcome to Crossover" under the "window" pull down menu??

KCO wrote:

I am running Version 12.1.2 (12.1.2.26862) and I do not see the
option to activate the "welcome to Crossover" under the "window"
pull down menu??

Help menu -> Welcome

sevae wrote:

KCO wrote:

I am running Version 12.1.2 (12.1.2.26862) and I do
not see the option to activate the "welcome to Crossover" under
the
"window" pull down menu??

Help menu ->
Welcome

there it is...OP will thank you :)

sevae wrote:

KCO wrote:

I am running Version 12.1.2 (12.1.2.26862) and I do
not see the option to activate the "welcome to Crossover" under
the
"window" pull down menu??

Help menu ->
Welcome

Thank you. Must have a minor wording change on the way,.. ^_~

J-P Simard wrote:

Leave it to a Linux geek to spark a "flood" of answers on a Mac
forum. I guess I helped in my own way 😀

(Done hijacking the thread now)

Yeah, I must have missed the post at the beginning of the week and when you replied I wondered what I'd missed... apologies all around!

It's a lot less problematic not to know the answer when one can cause those who have it to speak up.

Just call me "Grand Guardian of the Lost"! (just kidding)

1 to 10 of 10

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYlBCZlpzUDZwUWZCSlJSdSIsImdkcHIiOjB9