CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Problems Installing 'Chordspace.dll"

Hi there

I downloaded a free windows program (Chordspace.dll) to run on my Mac via Crossover, but when i try and install it it says there was an error.

Are .dll files supported or would there be another issue?

A "dll" is a dynamic link library, and is never a complete program onto itself. A dll is part of a piece of software to which an executable will refer to for certain functions (hence the "library" name). So yes, dll must be "supported" as most Windows programs will need some dll at some point.

That being said, a dll can't be executed on it's own at all, even under windows itself. It needs some executable to make use of it before its intented purpose can be exploited. In fact, if you look at the "host install guides" on chordspace.com, you will see a list of software the dll is supposed to integrate into, and instructions specific to each.

To make use of the dll, you need one of those softwares in a bottle, and the dll copied in the bottle following the instructions for that software (which aren't very clear). That's if you have a windows version of those host software.

Now at least some of those host softwares have Mac versions, but I'm not very convinced a dll would work on a Mac. If you have any of the host software in native form for your Mac, it's at least worth a try to use the dll with it.

Bottom line, a dll is never useful on it's own.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYUJGS0d0ZVY2NGh2MjhIVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9