CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover on High Sierra

Dear CrossOver support,

My CrossOver (version 17) stopped working correctly after the recent MacOS upgrade a few days ago. The creation / removal of bottles and launching apps freezes completely and the windows apps become unresponsive. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CrossOver but to no avail. The only thing that temporarily helps is installing a fresh copy of the CrossOver App and importing bottle archives (I created those in advance in case I need to quickly reinstall the App). They work until the first reboot of the system, after that the afore mentioned freezing begins.

I haven't found any errors in MacOS logs.

Kind regards,
Dr. Ilya Bolotov

I managed to fix the issue by repairing permissions on the MacOS system. It seems that the problem was with Wine.

Ilya Bolotov wrote:

I managed to fix the issue by repairing permissions on the MacOS
system. It seems that the problem was with Wine.

It would be helpful if you specified exactly what you did to resolve. What permissions? From what to what?

Think I've solved it, with the help of Brian on the support.

Go to your user folder> Library> Application support> Crossover.
Move Bottles to desktop.

Unistall Crossover
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/uninstall

Then download Crossover.
Do not install from Downloaded Folder.
Move Crossover to Application Folder

Install Crossover
Close Crossover, and Return Bottles to Application Support> Crossover

Now all of your programs are in Crossover

Make sure that Crossover is not in your Downloaded folder.

Restart the computer
Now it will work, it will do it for me

I hope this will help other

Sven Palm
Sweden

Google translate helo me to write 😉

In my case crossover runs on high sierra until i activate the license..

Sven's solution (below) SEEMED to fix it for me for about 20 minutes. Then the problem returned.
Bottles never finish "scanning."
Have to Force Quit CrossOver.
Have to Force Shutdown the computer.

I've used CrossOver for many years. It's very disappointing that it is now just CRAP.
C'mon, Codeweavers, this problem has gone on for months. What are you doing to fix it? Communicate with us.

Sven Palm wrote:

Think I've solved it, with the help of Brian on the support.

Go to your user folder> Library> Application support> Crossover.
Move Bottles to desktop.

Unistall Crossover
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/uninstall

Then download Crossover.
Do not install from Downloaded Folder.
Move Crossover to Application Folder

Install Crossover
Close Crossover, and Return Bottles to Application Support>
Crossover

Now all of your programs are in Crossover

Make sure that Crossover is not in your Downloaded folder.

Restart the computer
Now it will work, it will do it for me

I hope this will help other

Sven Palm
Sweden

Google translate helo me to write 😉

Yes, this has been a really difficult issue for us. We think earlier this week we may have found a fix. It appears that sometimes, on some machines, calling older APIs which work with files that have resource forks (a very old file system feature on old Apple HFS systems) just hangs. Probably what we are doing is rarely-used. The problem is that some fonts are still packaged this way, and we need to access these fonts from C code that isn't using the regular Cocoa frameworks.

We had earlier identified a problem in CrossOver itself (well, Wine) which appeared to be triggered by this bug. (Seemingly a problem in the system library itself - we call into it and the call just never returns). We were confused because we saw stack traces indicating where the hang was, but a test build with a fix did not resolve the issue. We got more information and it turns out that a library upon which we rely (freetype) makes a similar call, so we hit the problem twice.

We just found that early this week. We are looking at shipping a fix asap. We are hopeful this is the last of it. It's been a real beast to debug because of how badly things are hung up when it happens, and because it is so inconsistent that for a long time we were simply unable to reproduce it in-house and reliant on user logs to see what was happening at all.

I'm very sorry - both our fix and our communication about it have been under par. I do hope that it's resolved with our upcoming build, and that we can get that out very shortly.

Upgraded Java at Java.com and fixed the issues. Go to www.java.com and click on "Do you have Java?" and then verify your version. You will probably see that there is an upgrade needed. Download and then restart computer. Everything works fine for me now.

Reagan Dean wrote:

Upgraded Java at Java.com and fixed the issues. Go to www.java.com
and click on "Do you have Java?" and then verify your version. You
will probably see that there is an upgrade needed. Download and then
restart computer. Everything works fine for me now.

Is Crossover based on (embedded) Java? I don`t have a separate Java Installation on my MBPro and I will not install one.

Josh,

I look forward to seeing an upgraded CrossOver Mac that works on APFS volumes on High Sierra. While I have installed Wine for most of my needs, CrossOver is a better fit for me for those programs that need the X11 display driver. It's more convenient for me to be able to make those kinds of specific changes in the "bottle" model of CrossOver.

I would agree with you that improved communication with your customers on this problem would've been helpful. Most of us understand that APFS is a completely new filesystem and problems were likely. However, each of us was left to wonder if we were the only people with this exact problem and we didn't hear anything from codeweavers. With that said, my own communication improved once I submitted a CrossOver ticket and codeweavers could confirm the problem.

Chris Schnell,

I'm not a codeweavers employee, but CrossOver doesn't appear to be based on Java. I can't find any Java executable in the CrossOver package. I wouldn't install Java if you don't need it for another reason. As Josh described the problem, it's been hard to diagnose since they couldn't get it to regularly appear. I'm assuming Reagan's installation simply coincided with CrossOver working better for him. I've had times where CrossOver would work on High Sierra, but it has been quite rare.

At this point, our best bet is to wait for the CrossOver update. I'm really hoping it resolves the APFS-related problems I've had with CrossOver.

Bob C

Again there is a lack of information when and how it will go forward to solve this issue...

We have just released CrossOver 17.1 for macOS and Linux, which includes a fix for this High Sierra issue. If you have an active CrossOver 17 license and CrossOver 17 broke with High Sierra, contact info@codeweavers.com and we will upgrade you for FREE. If you have a license that includes the upgrade, please go here and log in to access the installer, or contact our support team if you need further help.

When running it for the first time after updating it says “Crossover” may affect the performance of your Mac.

Richard R Wakeford wrote:

When running it for the first time after updating it says
“Crossover” may affect the performance of your Mac.

What version of macOS are you running? Do you have the beta of 10.13.4 by any chance, and did you see a warning about 32-bit code?

Otherwise, do you have any more detail by any chance about the message you received? I gather you are seeing something which comes from macOS itself? (A screenshot would be powerful if it is something other than the 32-bit error, but I gather that if it only happens once, you may not be able to easily obtain one.)

That warning is what the betas (and presumably the eventual public release) of 10.13.4 say each time you launch a 32 bit application for the first time. This message will appear with any of the system apps from Apple that are still 32 bit as well.

Yes, I have 10.13.4 Beta (17E139j). I kind of realised it was because of the app being 32 bit when I opened it but thought it strange as you'd said that you'd overcome the High Sierra problem. As long as Crossover works there's no problem for me. I'm not a heavy user of it anyway.

I see. We fixed the problem specific to High Sierra that was causing extreme freezing and other problems because of changes to the file system. We are still working on the larger problem of 32 bit support being dropped.

I just wanted to follow up on my earlier comment. Today's release of 17.1.0 appears to have resolved the problems with CrossOver bottles on an APFS volume. I have started CrossOver several times without it hanging once. I feel confident because, previously, I could not run CrossOver more than once without the bottles hanging on startup.

Bob C

51 to 68 of 68

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSHhDWGRUTmFQdTlzR1U3MyIsImdkcHIiOjB9