CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Active window often hidden behind other windows in Delphi 5 IDE (which consists of several non-modal windows)

I had installed Borland Delphi 5 into a bottle in the previous version of Crossover on MacOS El Capitan, and Delphi 5 all seemed to be working okay then.

I have recently upgraded to version 17 of Crossover (version 17.0.031291), and upgraded MacOS to macOS Sierra version 10.12.6.

Into a bottle in this Crossover 17, I have installed Delphi 5, which installed without any complains and starts and executes simple projects ok. The Delphi 5 IDE consists of several non-modal windows displayed at once (eg. editor, toolbar, object inspector, etc). (It looks a bit like a windows MDI interface but isn't).

However, in the Delphi 5 IDE in this Crossover 17 on macOS Sierra, the active window is often partly or fully hidden hidden behind other Delphi windows. For example, when I click on one Delphi IDE window (eg. the editor window), that window becomes active, but often doesn't come to front as expected.

Also, when a modal dialogue should appear (eg. when select 'Exit' from Delphi menu, then a 'Save changes' modal dialogue would appear), this modal dialogue is often fully hidden behind the other Delphi windows, and as it's a modal dialogue then the other windows cannot be moved out of the way. The active window (eg. the modal dialog) still receives keyboard focus (so I can press "Esc" to cancel, or right/left cursor keys to select option in the hidden dialogue). Other modal dialogues (eg. 'Environment Preferences') also don't come to the front as expected.

If I move all other Delphi IDE windows to the side before selecting 'Exit' from the menu, then the modal 'Save changes' dialogue is visible as no windows are obscuring it. Similarly for other modal dialogues (eg. 'Environment preferences').

Sometimes, if I click on a Delphi5 window that is already at the front, then instead of that window staying at the front, that selected (now active) window sometimes gets sent to the back (ie. partly hidden by the other windows).

The Crossover 'Window' menu only shows the one window 'Delphi5', so I can use that menu option to bring any hidden the dialogue menu to the front.

This problem may be related to the following bug reports on "WineHQ" bug tracking:

(1) "modal windows don't stay on top" - still unresolved in 2017-03-03 - "Still happens with Wine 2.1."
see link: WineHQ bug id=26503

"Omega Software 2017-03-03 10:30:57 CST:"
"Happens in Delphi 7 IDE itself, too. I found it when using CTRL+F to find a string in the currently open text file. The "string not found" message box appeared below the text editor and wasn't visible (made it look like the program had crashed)."

and:

(2) "Multiple applications show dialog/popup windows behind main window/splash screen (Visual Studio 2010, SPG-Verein 3.1.0)"

and:

(3) "Dialog windows can get hidden by the main window in IDA Free 5.0"
see link: WineHQ bug id=30581

Aug 2016: "OK, I just found the solution that works for me. Under "Set Screen Options" (Windeskin Advanced - Tools tab) under Other Options there is a check box to use the Mac Driver instead of x11 and this seems to work for me and still be able to check the "Allow the window manager..." It turns out this is a good thing because even unchecking "Allow.." box caused other unpredictable results."

[b] But is there a way to change this screen option setting in CrossOver ?
[/b]

Stephen Bridgett wrote:

This problem may be related to the following bug reports on "WineHQ"
bug tracking:

(1) "modal windows don't stay on top" - still unresolved in
2017-03-03 - "Still happens with Wine 2.1."
[link=https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26503]WineHQ bug
id=26503[/link]

"Omega Software 2017-03-03 10:30:57 CST:"
"Happens in Delphi 7 IDE itself, too. I found it when using
CTRL+F to find a string in the currently open text file. The "string
not found" message box appeared below the text editor and wasn't
visible (made it look like the program had crashed)."

and:

(2) "[i]Multiple applications show dialog/popup windows behind main
window/splash screen (Visual Studio 2010, SPG-Verein 3.1.0)[/i]"

and:

(3) "[i]Dialog windows can get hidden by the main window in IDA Free
5.0[/i]"
[link=https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30581]WineHQ bug
id=30581[/link]

Aug 2016: "OK, I just found the solution that works for me.
Under "Set Screen Options" (Windeskin Advanced - Tools tab) under
Other Options there is a check box to use the Mac Driver instead of
x11 and this seems to work for me and still be able to check the
"Allow the window manager..." It turns out this is a good thing
because even unchecking "Allow.." box caused other unpredictable
results."

[b] But is there a way to change this screen option setting in
CrossOver ?
[/b]

If you are using crossover Mac, you are probably using the Mac driver already. Thee 'legacy x windows' setting in the bottle's gears menu would be checked if you were using X11.

Josh DuBois wrote:

If you are using crossover Mac, you are probably using the Mac
driver already. Thee 'legacy x windows' setting in the bottle's
gears menu would be checked if you were using X11.

Thank you for your helpful reply.

On my "Delphi5" bottle's Gear menu, on the "Settings" submenu there is a tick beside "Performance Enhanced Graphics".

However, if I set this to "Use Legacy X Window System" and then restart Delphi, the active window does correctly come to the front every time, (eg: when I click on a non-modal window that window comes to the front, and modal dialog windows also correctly come to the front).

If I set to "High Resolution Mode" (although my computer doesn't have a retina display, but it does show the Delphi IDE windows a smaller size), then restart Delphi - this has same problem (with not bringing the active to the front) as the "Performance Enhanced Graphics" mode.

So it seems that only the "Use Legacy X Window System" correctly brings the active window to the front, although this mode is slower and less smooth when moving the windows.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUm16VnFteG5QTmhmcVpNRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9