CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Mikrotik Netinstall / bootp

Good Day,

I have been using CrossOver for Mac for a while now and was wanting to use Mikrotik's Netinstall tool. However, upon stating the application it fails with the following error:

bind bootp failed: (10013)

Doing some research, it appears that this is caused by the process not having administrator or root privileges.

Running commands from the command line is usually easy by doing something like:

sudo /path/to/some/command

How would one elevate the CrossOver application to have root privileges so that the bootp process may start / bind properly?

I would also like to know the answer to this issue !! 😉

Another “me too”.
Thanks. John, ham radio WA7UAR, in Seattle

Tim Payne wrote:

I would also like to know the answer to this issue !! 😉

Bump....

Well, we strongly discourage running CrossOver or Wine with root privileges. It can cause all sorts of issues. Among other things, it will probably change the ownership of files within your bottle to root, making them inaccessible from your normal account.

Frankly, I'm not sure it will work properly.

If you must, I recommend that you do this only in a Mac administrator user account that you set up just for this purpose and are willing to delete later. This may also create files and directories that could be hard to clean up later, and I don't know where they all will be. So, have a good backup.

In your throw-away account, you can open Terminal and run CrossOver with root privileges by doing:
sudo /Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver

CrossOver won't have any bottles. You'll have to install the software here, even if you already installed it in your normal account. To run the software, I expect you'll have to use the Run Command dialog rather than opening the launcher app from CrossOver's main window. That's because the Run Command dialog will directly spawn a subprocess, which will inherit the root privileges. Opening a launcher app sends a request to launchd to run the app and it will run as the user account you're using.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR01QcUU3djYzcHhrTWNZMiIsImdkcHIiOjB9