CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

macOS Catalina

installations on macOS Catalina doesn't seem to work

+1

+2...is there a timeframe on when Catalina will be supported?

From this thread:

Hello Yury and Samir, 

We will release an alpha or beta version of CrossOver 19 to macOS testers on the 10.15 beta as soon as such feedback is helpful to our development process. Thank you both for your patience and your willingness to contribute!

Hana

So sounds like when CrossOver 19 releases either late this Fall or early this Winter [Q3 or Q4 2019].

When Crossover is 64-bit and works with Catalina, will it still depend on whether the Windows applications are 64-bit? Or will Crossover just make old Windows apps look like they are 64-bit?

Catalina prevents 32bit applications from running. In order for 32bit apps to run inside of a 64bit container, either the CPU has to switch to 32bit mode (OS Dependent which is what Apple is removing) or all calls must be converted to 64bit and back (a method called trunking I believe).

I believe it's that last part they've been working with Wine on to get done since last year.

We're testing Apple's newest release of macOS Catalina 10.15 Beta 6 as of yesterday. Now that the end of August is fast approaching, with the final release of Catalina just around the corner, it would be much appreciated if Codeweavers could provide us with a CrossOver 19.0 Beta version to allow us sufficient time to provide feedback to their developers.

In the meantime, we've begun testing with Parallels Desktop 15.0, which has already been released for macOS Catalina. But CrossOver would be our preferred solution if available.

Thank you!

Sadly, the GM Version of macOS Catalina is expected today following the iPhone event, without any feedback from CrossOver as to the status of V19.0's Beta release.

I fear we'll be forced to make the switch to Parallels Desktop or refrain from upgrading to macOS Catalina altogether for want of 64-bit support from CrossOver.

Hello,

I am already using Parallels 15 with Mojave, and the bad news is that if you move to Catalina, yes Parallels 15 will work but if you have 32 bit windows apps, as i do then they will still not work on a Windows VM within Catalina, and you cannot nest Vm's within OSX that is only possible within Windows ????!!!!! what a mess we are in.....

Well this is what i am being told.

JohnW

UPdate.

OK All change, in brief Parallels V15 operating on Catalina, with a Windows Guest VM WILL allow 32 bit apps to work, i have written confirmation from them earlier.

JohnW

Crossover is not a VM and Wine is abit more involved when it comes to a task building a version of crossover to run 32-bit code within a 64-bit process. Codeweavers will be releasing a statement via a blogpost in detail explaining where we are with 32-bit support on Catalina and what to expect. Yes, the current version of crossover 18.5 will not work on Catalina in terms of running 32-bit applications. However, the blog will provide answer's to the majority of your questions and concerns before the October release of this MacOS.
You can look for the blog post here when it is available : https://www.codeweavers.com/about/blogs

Thank you for an honest and full update ?

Yes, the blog post was very helpful -- thank you!

macOS Catalina has just been released.

Now what do we do ? Just wait ?

I only use Quicken for Windows. Any chance to get it working sooner ? Thanks

Frank,

What version of Quicken are you referring to that is not working?

R22.12 Build 27.1.11.12

Frank,

Please submit a support ticket here outlining the issue you are having : https://www.codeweavers.com/about/contact-us#support
That build of Quicken works fine in crossover 18.5 despite an aesthetic issue with the menu.

It is working fine in 18.5. This feed is for Catalina. Get it working ASAP for Catalina !
Thanks

Frank,

We are working on it, we do ask and appreciate your patience with this matter.

Thanks for your hard work, guys. Waiting is never fun, but we know you're working as fast as you can.

Cannot wait for the upgrade - please finish as soon as u can....

Hi AL,

CrossOver installs just fine but seems to have issues with installing stuff into bottles, it dies then and there.

I hope that helps :)

Hopefully, there will be a way to install 10.15 in a VM as a guest with 10.14 being the host. This will help with testing any program in a crossover bottle and just in general to see how things respond. I really don't want to update my host OS from 10.14 to 15. I have ALOT of 32 bit apps that I use, many of them in crossover. They are mainly old games that I enjoy playing.

In my opinion I find it crazy that apple removed all of the 32 bit architecture systems. Apple in 10.15 has just destroyed any legacy support and apps that some people may rely on. Just look at this crossover issue. I do look forward to seeing how this is going to work out, It will be an adventure for sure.

I updated to Catalina, and heidisql not work, ¿ when release crossover 19 ?

Boris wrote:

I updated to Catalina, and heidisql not work, ¿ when release
crossover 19 ?

Maybe you should have checked before upgrading to Catalina; it's not like the elimination of 32-bit support in Catalina has been a secret. Crossover will upgrade when they are able. Everyone needs to chill. Constantly asking "where is the Catalina upgrade for Crossover" is not going to speed anything along.

MichaelR wrote:

Boris wrote:

I updated to Catalina, and heidisql not work, ¿ when
release crossover 19 ?

Maybe you should have checked before upgrading to Catalina; it's not
like the elimination of 32-bit support in Catalina has been a
secret. Crossover will upgrade when they are able. Everyone needs
to chill. Constantly asking "where is the Catalina upgrade for
Crossover" is not going to speed anything along.

I'd like to second this message and I'd like to add that there is nothing that forces people to upgrade to a new OS on day 1 when there are still many programs (aside from CrossOver) that won't work.

I myself use Crossover for Quicken. I have the alternative of running it in Windows in a VM on my laptop, and I've done this in the past. And could do it for a couple months if I decide to upgrade my OS sooner rather than later.

I continue to renew Crossover since the hit on my battery life is less when I run via Crossover than in the high overhead of a Windows OS in a VM.

kevin krieser wrote:

I myself use Crossover for Quicken. I have the alternative of
running it in Windows in a VM on my laptop, and I've done this in
the past. And could do it for a couple months if I decide to
upgrade my OS sooner rather than later.

I continue to renew Crossover since the hit on my battery life is
less when I run via Crossover than in the high overhead of a Windows
OS in a VM.

Have you tried quicken for Mac? I currently use this for my financials as well and it does the job quite nicely

Adding my support for the Codeweavers CrossOver team! I use CrossOver primarily for QuickLOAD and some other ballistics and shooting sports software (like OnTarget). I have not upgraded to Catalina, and I don’t see why I would at present. I’m able to be patient and give Codeweavers time to do a good job with this major project.

[quote=466470]> (quote:453349)

Have you tried quicken for Mac? I currently use this for my
financials as well and it does the job quite nicely

Yes. Last time I tried it it was still missing some features I used. I may try it again at some point.

E. Davis wrote:

Adding my support for the Codeweavers CrossOver team! I use
CrossOver primarily for QuickLOAD and some other ballistics and
shooting sports software (like OnTarget). I have not upgraded to
Catalina, and I don’t see why I would at present. I’m able to be
patient and give Codeweavers time to do a good job with this major
project.

Quickload is the reason I have crossover, I use it almost daily, unfortunately I did upgrade, I hope they update Crossover soon but your right its better that its done properly.

I am waiting to upgrade to Catalina until Crossover is ready, and from what I've been reading, waiting is probably a good thing. There are a few bugs in the Catalina installation. It hangs on some systems.

So thank you CodeWeavers, you probably saved me a nervous breakdown if my computer were one of the ones that might hang. By the time you get the 64bit compatibility kinks worked out, there'll be a newer installation of Catalina that doesn't hang.

I tried Quicken for Mac, and it was a disaster. It has several critical shortcomings that make it unusable for me. Not only in feature support, but in the Quicken for Windows database import tool, caused by the feature set differences. I won't expand here, because there are many threads on the Quicken site on this subject. But it was a complete disaster. It seems to me that QM is still years away from reaching QW functionality.

Hi

Is there any word on when the Crossover update might be released ?

https://www.codeweavers.com/about/blogs/ken/2019/10/3/crossover-for-catalina-progress-october-3-2019

The World of Tanks wrapper (from CodeWeavers) got an update with 64-bit compatibility, so we should see something soon, for general use.

Sumpter Carter wrote:

The World of Tanks wrapper (from CodeWeavers) got an update with
64-bit compatibility, so we should see something soon, for general
use.

The macOS Catalina compatibility update for the WG Game Center Mac Wrapper dropped yesterday. Users are presented with an update dialog box. Upon updating macOS Catalina users are now able to download and run the WoT Mac Wrapper.

+1 did revert for now. will follow up on the thread

32-bit mode can still be enabled on catalina
sudo nvram boot-args="no32exec=0"

But the amount of available 32-bit libraries is very limited, most of them could be used from mojave.

Any new updates?

It seems that Apple has not completely removed the ability to run 32-bit code in macOS Catalina.

Yes, Catalina no longer ships the 32-bit frameworks or libraries, but when I boot my macOS Catalina in Recovery mode (holding Cmd+R on boot), and then chose Utilities > Terminal, and there I type:

nvram boot-args=”no32exec=0″

and reboot, I then am able to run i386 commandline apps.

I think it would be acceptable for many CrossOver users if Codeweavers initially deploys a solution that relies on this modification. I guess it’ll still be a bit complicated to do, but surely less complicated.

Is there anyone here who could give an estimate of when crossover will provide an update?

Please someone?

Hi,

We just published a blog post update here. We also have a mailing list specifically for "macOS Catalina Updates" (under Events) that you can subscribe to here so that you don't miss the latest updates on our progress.

We also have two prior blog posts which detail our progress and the challenges involved here: first postsecond post.

Thank you for your patience!
Anna

Thanks for the update and link to sub etc

Thanks Anna.

Those blog updates on macOS Catalina compatibility are awesome.

The thunking of 32-bit code to run on 64-bit is not an easy task, thanks to everyone involved!
A related question though... will DirectX 11 be available via MoltenVK in the upcoming update?

--mike

While we're all waiting in anticipation for CrossOver 19, I was just wondering if anyone can tell us whether or not we'll be able to import our Bottle archives directly with Catalina, or will we need to reinstall everything from scratch? Since most of my Windows games have been modified, updated and tweaked over the years it would be extremely time consuming to have to install them all over again.

Again, thanks to everyone at Codeweavers for your efforts!

Cheers

Mike -- Thank you :) We are planning on having DirectX 11 via MoltenVK supported in the future, but I don't have a good timeline to give you. Right now everyone is heads down on Catalina support as you might imagine :)

Geoffrey -- We are hoping that most Bottles will be upgraded seamlessly to CrossOver 19 + Catalina. As you probably could guess, we won't be able to test every single application bottle upgrade before release. It sounds like you already have your bottles archived -- I would suggest, just to be safe, to have them backed up. If there is an issue on your first import attempt, please let us know! We hope to be able to fix issues like that, so the final result should be that all of your existing bottles will be able to be imported.

Thanks,
Anna

Any more updates as been a while now??

1 to 50 of 55

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSmh1aG1Qd21mOXhLOUJzcyIsImdkcHIiOjB9