CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

The install cannot continue because one or more dependencies are not installed, and an installer could not be found automaticall

I'm on my macbook running macOS Mojave version 10.14.6 and using CrossOver version 16.2 (the latest version I own). This is a new computer, and I'm trying to install something for the first time. I'm trying to install Neverwinter Nights 2 (from gog.com), which I've done successfully before on my old macbook using the same version of CrossOver. However, when I get to the "Install & Finish" part of the Software Installer, the "Install" button is greyed out. When I go back to the "Select Installer" step, I see an error message which says "The install cannot continue because one or more dependencies are not installed, and an installer could not be found automatically."

If I click on "Edit Install Options..." I can see that there are additional items to install, which are DirectX for Modern Games, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 (8.0) Redistributable, and Platform SDK Redistributable: GDI+. I can't figure out how to install these (assuming that's what the error message is about), since CrossOver has always installed dependencies automatically in the past.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Steve,

The dependency that is giving you trouble is Platform SDK Redistributable: GDI+. Unfortunately, the installer was pulled down and we have not been able to find another legal source to link to. You can click "Edit Install Option" on the left where the "Install" option is greyed out, and remove the defunct dependency. If the game still works without it, please let me know so that I can update the CrossTie :D Unfortunately, I don't have a good alternate dependency to suggest at the moment (hence why the defunct dependency is still listed) :/

Thanks,
Anna

It's available at https://files.downloadnow.com/s/software/10/72/65/10/gdiplus_dnld.exe (via https://download.cnet.com/Platform-SDK-Redistributable-GDI/3000-2206_4-10726511.html). It is presumably legal, since a Microsoft representative told me to get it from there…

And there are some instructions here that explain how to install it, plus a download link.

Hi

Does this mean a new crosstie for GDI+ is possible in the future ?

We are currently taking another look at this. If anyone has seen problems as a direct result of not having GDI+ installed, I would greatly appreciate details about this. Please list the app(s) and describe the specific behaviors which differ depending on whether or not GDI+ is installed.

Thank you!
Anna

Hi

As reported during beta testing, DC: Barbarossa and DC: The Blitzkrieg (also DC: Case Blue) are all Matrix strategy games that need GDI+ installed in the bottle. Otherwise the text on the various menus and boxes is garbled.

Regards

Hi Francisco,

Thank you for jogging my memory! I was fairly certain that some things needed it, but I could not find the information with any of my searches. My search failure makes sense now because I was mainly looking at forum posts, not beta reports :)

Thanks,
Anna

Just a further note: all these series of games (DC: Barbarossa, et al) are available in Steam

Regards

(PS: It goes without saying that if you have a workaround for gdi++ installation for testing, I would gladly volunteer 😎 )

I added to the database another game by the same developer, Advanced Tactics: Gold, that also needs gdi+ for the same reason (garbled text)

It is also available in Steam

Any news of the front ?

Thanks to your input, we are looking at how to get a smoothly functional CrossTie again :) The link above doesn't work well with our current system because the site waits ~30 sec before starting the download, and we don't wait that long before timing out. We are investigating a better solution, but for now I have added the link as the "Download Page URL" so that the link shows up on the page where the user needs to manually choose the installer. I did a manual CrossTie update so that you can check it out immediately (I'm assuming you have CrossOver set to automatically update CrossTies when available :) - thank you for your feedback!!

Edit: The manual update hasn't kicked in for me yet, so you may have to wait until tomorrow to see the change.

Crosstie for GDI+, right ?

I will test it in one of this games in the next couple of days, then

Regards

Yes, that is the one (whoops!) Thank you! I will be interested to hear how it goes :)

Hi

No good news, I'm afraid.

I tried to make a new bottle for DC: The Blitzkrieg.
This game needs .Net 2.0 SP2. That installation was fine.
To install gdi+ I used the link provided by crossover, that directs to https://download.cnet.com/Platform-SDK-Redistributable-GDI/3055-2206_4-10726511.html

I then installed the downloaded file. During the installation I got an error ("Command line option syntax error").

Afterwards, the game hangs on loading, and I have to force quit.

It's a no go... 😭

Dang it! I had assumed that people had been using the installer from Calion already, but it looks like that is a bad .exe :/ Did you try either of those links from earlier in this thread and have any success?

We have one alternative plan currently that we are investigating, but it might take substantially longer to attempt to implement.

well, I tried the instructions quoted here by dot in 2012:

[i]1> download the gdiplus redistributable from here.

2> using the bottle manager, select the required bottle, and use the 'Run Command' feature, and launch the executable downloaded above

3> the winzip self-extractor GUI will appear after after you acknowledge the EULA ; change the path to C:\windows\system32 and click 'unzip'- now close the self extractor[/i]

I did that.

Now at least the game does not hang (I guess gdiplus_dnld.exe is not really an installer...), but the text is garbled as before.

So...no go.

This doesn’t really help with getting GDI+ installed, but for what it’s worth: I just tried installing Neverwinter Nights 2 from GOG.com by disabling the GDI+ dependency, and it seems to work fine. I’m running CrossOver 19.0.1, and macOS 10.15.4 on an early 2015 MacBook Pro with integrated graphics (Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB). I noticed an error message at some point during installation of NWN2 but just clicked OK and it kept going. The game seems to run fine; I started a new game and went into the first festival area; the graphics seem fine and I haven’t noticed any problems with text or menus.

1 to 17 of 17

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidEdZdlFiMndHa0JmZktnWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9