CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Reply to Thread Back to Threads

Steam not working properly
Justin Alan
Justin Alan
Posted 2019-11-11 17:50
I can install Steam on Mac with Crossover 19.0 alpha. Installed into win 7 64 bit bottle.

Steam opens, ask for user and password, and email code for verification that it's me. I pass all of those. Then I get to the main Steam window. Nothing loads. It shows the "Store, Library, Community" and other menu options, but nothing loads in thos windows.
John Gamble
John Gamble Advocate
Posted 2019-11-15 05:11
Same with me. However, I'm using version 18.5 in Mojave.

This all started happening after I installed a game ('Through the Woods' - which didn't work anyway) and 'wine-preloader' crashed. After force quitting wine-preloader, Steam cannot download any of the content used to populate its windows/tabs. Thus, it's useless.

Anything I can try doing? I tried deleting the bottle and then re-installing Steam. This did not help.
Anna Lasky
Anna Lasky  Staff Member
Posted 2019-11-15 08:37
Hi folks,

What you are seeing is the result of a huge update to the Steam client itself.  We are aware of how badly the Steam update broke functionality when running via CrossOver and we are actively working on a solution.  

In the meantime, there is one trick I know of to launch games that you already have installed -- after launching Steam, there will be a tiny steam icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen in the Mac menu bar with the time, battery level, etc.  You can click on that steam icon and it will list the last few games you played, and you can click on them in that menu to launch them.

Thanks,
Anna
John Gamble
John Gamble Advocate
Posted 2019-11-15 20:37
Anna Lasky Posted:
Hi folks,

What you are seeing is the result of a huge update to the Steam client itself.  We are aware of how badly the Steam update broke functionality when running via CrossOver and we are actively working on a solution.  

In the meantime, there is one trick I know of to launch games that you already have installed -- after launching Steam, there will be a tiny steam icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen in the Mac menu bar with the time, battery level, etc.  You can click on that steam icon and it will list the last few games you played, and you can click on them in that menu to launch them.

Thanks,
Anna

Awesome, thanks for keeping us in the loop Anna!
Mike Norman
Mike Norman
Posted 2019-11-15 22:41
Hi everyone.

Did some testing of installing Steam in Crossover 19.0 beta 1 and here's what I discovered...

Some system stats:
— Crossover 19.0-b1 (19.0.0.32154local)
— macOS Catalina 10.15.1
— MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

How I installed Steam:
— Installed Steam via 'Install a Windows Application'
— Selected 'Download installer…'
— Chose a Windows 7 64-bit bottle
— Fonts, Steam, Wine Gecko, and XML Parser, all installed fine

What I discovered:
— Store, Library, Community, and Account pages load
— Able to 'Manage custom artwork' in the Library
— Some game pages are a bit sluggish (and occasionally crash the client)
— Downloads page works (currently downloading a game for more testing)

Do note:
— Big Picture still DOES NOT WORK (as it requires DX 11 for visual effects)

Example screenshot (hosted on my Google Drive):
— An example screenshot of my Steam library
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bNpAcEpVxTITU9rBVEKQ0Fz96or26XJJ/view?usp=sharing
— Yes, I do have custom artwork for my games (yours will probably look different)
— If you have the same games and would like the artwork, let me know!

For Codeweavers:
— If it helps, some patches in later Staging versions of Wine helped with the Steam client

--mike
Jonathan O'Sullivan
Jonathan O'Sullivan
Posted 2019-11-17 15:09
The menu bar tip is great.  I just bought Age of Empires II - Definitive Collection but I get an error message saying that an error occurred because of an 'Invalid Platform'.  Any tips or offering of hope on this?
Sean  Jones
Sean Jones
Posted 2019-11-20 15:59
This doesn't fix everything, but I have been able to install and launch games from a mini-list by right clicking on Steam within Crossover, selecting "Run with Options", and adding this text to the box "-no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist" (everything but the quotes). I cannot UNinstall anything, and you can't really DO anything other than install and launch games. You can at least do that though. This is on 18.5 and Mojave in a Win 7 64-bit bottle.
Gentile
Gentile Chief Senior Advocate
Posted 2019-11-30 06:33
Sean  Jones Posted:
This doesn't fix everything, but I have been able to install and launch games from a mini-list by right clicking on Steam within Crossover, selecting "Run with Options", and adding this text to the box "-no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist" (everything but the quotes). I cannot UNinstall anything, and you can't really DO anything other than install and launch games. You can at least do that though. This is on 18.5 and Mojave in a Win 7 64-bit bottle.

Thanks for the tip! I was now able to open Steam where before it wouldn't work. Unfortunately the game I was trying to play (Prey) didn't work. Not sure if this is also due to the Steam update.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

Please Wait...
eyJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi02LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNTc4NTg3MzkzfQ==