CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

McAfee thinks Crossover 19 is malware...

A colleague has McAfee installed and it's reporting that Crossover 19 is malware! I'll try to attach a screenshot of the messages but it may not work. It is showing things like vdmdbg.dll, ver.dll16, win87em.dll16, winners.drv16, etc. as "Trojan". They are in the crossover.app/contents/sharedsupport/Crossover folder.

Does anyone else run McAfee with version 19? I don't. For my money, it's malware all by itself.😀

All false positives.

It’s a known problem, Codeweavers are trying to solve it

I agree with you, McAfee is crap. I do not use any AV software on my Mac

Regards

This is currently a huge headache for us. In the meantime, I have written up a tutorial that your collegue can use to whitelist all of the necessary locations to protect CrossOver from AV software here: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/bitdefender

I don't remember if McAfee is one that will delete CrossOver files without asking in advance, but in any case this should prevent the false positives from showing up :) And yes, I agree that AV software should not delete files without giving the user any way of disabling that feature without entirely disabling the software 😀

I recommend following the advice of the very NSFW (and therefore not linked to here) YouTube video by John McAfee, "How To Uninstall McAfee Antivirus"

😇

FYI, the proposed fixes for AVG by means of excluding those three files only worked "sort of."
FYI, Poppeeper would not download gmail, only yahoo and netzero.
I "excluded" the bottles, but gmail just would not load.
As soon as I uninstalled AVG again, voila. Gmail came back.

Close, but no cigar. Bummer.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRlZTdGtMWGJnQ1Q5WUFXMyIsImdkcHIiOjB9